Minnesota Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: fordpower88

Truck camper laws...

Old 12-14-2011, 05:24 AM
Banage
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck camper laws...

I cant find any of the dang things for MN. I just got a truck camper and was curious about MN laws. Example, in WI you have to have frame mount tie downs. No stake pockets.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:10 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I could find in regard to a pickup camper was passengers could ride in it. I didn't see anything in relation to how to mount it. I only see frame mounts here though, for what that's worth. Even if it's legal, I don't think I'd stake mount it. Not much to those nowadays.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I would only frame mount it. I'll do some more looking on a few bookmarks later when I get home on the laws.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:01 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
You can ask ten troopers and get ten different answers. I would frame mount it so if any one were to ride back there it would be safer.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another vote for frame mounting. I wouldn't trust those stake pockets to hold near as much these days as they did back in the day.

So if you have a camper then you are obligated to come to our camping GTG's in the summer!

Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Speaking of camping GTG. We need to set a date for a camping planning GTG.

Dang thread stealers anyway!

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Banage
Senior User
I dont have any question about mounting it. I am for sure going to the frame. I wonder about the stuff I cant think of.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Banage
I dont have any question about mounting it. I am for sure going to the frame. I wonder about the stuff I cant think of.
As far as what? Give us a direction and I am sure we can help. There are a lot of campers in here.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:21 AM
Banage
Senior User
Lighting, towing the boat behind, gray water. I'm sure there is random laws/rules I would never think of. Like in MN we cant cross the boarder with a duck on our head. Not that I would do a lot of things because the family is with. Just the things that make you go hmph who knew?

Old 12-24-2011, 07:51 AM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

Lighting, towing the boat behind, gray water. I'm sure there is random laws/rules I would never think of. Like in MN we cant cross the boarder with a duck on our head. Not that I would do a lot of things because the family is with. Just the things that make you go hmph who knew?
Well I am not sure what year or how big your camper is but if it covers your taillights it should already be wired with all the lights and just have a pigtail that would plug into your trucks trailer wiring plug. If not you will have to wire one up. If your camper has a gray water tank you are good to go and there are numerous places that have rv dumps to get rid of that gray water. If that is what you meant. Other than crossing into Canada or something there aren't any laws that you are going to have worry about that I know of. I would just throw the camper in hook up the boat and go! Got any pics or a description of what you have for a camper. Have you camped at all before is this your first?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Banage
Senior User
This spring will be the first time in the camper. We will be stayng in the state for the first few trips. It does cover the lights, and has its own but the guy I got it from thought he could "fix" them so they dont work. Im going to rig something up no prob. Do I need to worry about the marker lights on the top or can it wait if need be? I hope to get all 15 lights going when I get it in the garage. But we all know how wiring can get. It does not have a gray water holding tank. I have found a lot online, but youtube has the best ideas of how to rig up simple things instead of commercial spending big bucks. I spent a little time digging for pictures but who knows where they are in this holiday mess. Ill just take some new ones when we get to the cabin next month. Its an older Badger 8' slide in camper. '60 something.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:24 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

No I don't think you need to worry about the lights on top right away. Main thing is to have taillights, brakes and turns but getting them all going at some point would be a good thing. I am sure there are many ways to rig a up a gray tank with out too much trouble. Good luck and ask away with any more questions you have!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Banage
Senior User
I am down to Happijac frame mount or Torklift. Any opinions?

Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Banage
Senior User
Check this out. Wish I knew a welder I trusted. Im not that good:

home made camper tie downs - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

For the record, I googled this. I am not a member =)

Old 01-13-2012, 08:13 PM
fordpower88
FTE Chapter Leader

I am down to Happijac frame mount or Torklift. Any opinions?
Can't help you there with those mounts. Maybe one of the other guys will chime in if they know something. You may also go to the trailer section and ask. There is a lot of camper guru's in there it seems.

Check this out. Wish I knew a welder I trusted. Im not that good:

home made camper tie downs - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

For the record, I googled this. I am not a member =)
Yeah that guy did a great job on that for sure even if it is mounted on a Dodge! LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck camper laws...