Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Squeaking Serpentine Belt

Old 03-18-2009, 09:39 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Squeaking Serpentine Belt

I replaced my serpentine belt about a month ago. Ever sense then, it squeaks and it is driving me crazy. I put belt dressing on it and that just made it worse. Does anyone know what I can do to stop the squeaking?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:50 PM
ngng
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
is it too tight?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I have never found a way to stop a belt from squeaking once it starts.

You'll probably end up having to replace it.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:00 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Well I don't know how it can be too tight. I never changed the tensioner.
Well I might take it off and try to return it and buy a different brand. Anyone recommend any certain brand?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Ron..... Are you sure its the belt and not one of the pulleys ??? The only reason I ask that is that mine started squeaking and the next thing I knew I was replacing the tensioner pulley in the middle of a blizzard in the middle of no where ! (thank god for sattelite phones) The pulley itself seized up and disintegrated ! The tension of the new belt may be putting a bit more strain on a old weaken bearing on the tensioner !

Not saying that is what it is..... Just a thought.... It happened to me at christmas !!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RussB
Ron..... Are you sure its the belt and not one of the pulleys ??? The only reason I ask that is that mine started squeaking and the next thing I knew I was replacing the tensioner pulley in the middle of a blizzard in the middle of no where ! (thank god for sattelite phones) The pulley itself seized up and disintegrated ! The tension of the new belt may be putting a bit more strain on a old weaken bearing on the tensioner !

Not saying that is what it is..... Just a thought.... It happened to me at christmas !!
I know it is not a pulley because when I sprayed the belt dressing on the belt, it quit for about 5 seconds and then came back worse until the belt dressing wore off. Also I have been keeping a good eye on the idler pulleys because have had to replace 2 in the last year. Good idea though. I know it is the belt.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Sorry Justin... I called you Ron in my last post !

Then I think you're on the right track... get rid of the squeaky POS !! lol

Old 03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Sorry Justin... I called you Ron in my last post !

Then I think you're on the right track... get rid of the squeaky POS !! lol
Hey no problem Russ.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
Well I don't know how it can be too tight. I never changed the tensioner.
Well I might take it off and try to return it and buy a different brand. Anyone recommend any certain brand?
I replaced mine with a Goodyear Gatorback...and I am pleased with it. Fits nice and tight no squeaks.

HOWEVER...some of the guys have claimed to have issues with that belt...so, take it for what its worth.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:14 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru

I think your right Russ, mine was doing the same. Replaced two belts, then the tensioner. Problem solved. about $70 aftermarket and still works fine today. I dont think buying an aftermarket tensioner is going to make a big deal vs buying a $150 motorcraft. SQUEEEEEEKKK gone

Old 03-18-2009, 10:17 PM
sammydiesel
Junior User
This happened to me. the first time the belt was just a bad belt. That was a couple of years ago. This year right before winter it started squealing real bad and put a belt I had on. Started a little squeal about 2 weeks later and then went away all together. 3 months later and perfect still!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Well some useful info. It is not a constant squeal, it is a squeak that varies with engine RPM. It is like a certain part of the belt does not like a certain pulley. It is like it only squeaks when that part of the belt goes over one pulley. I don't know which pulley though. Hard to tell with the motor noise and the fan.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:25 PM
sammydiesel
Junior User
Also my belt was out of alignment due to my agr/pcs hydro assist steering. The aftermarket pulley needed to be adjusted.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
RussB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
Well some useful info. It is not a constant squeal, it is a squeak that varies with engine RPM. It is like a certain part of the belt does not like a certain pulley. It is like it only squeaks when that part of the belt goes over one pulley. I don't know which pulley though. Hard to tell with the motor noise and the fan.
That info would push me to believe its a pulley ! What happens when you put the belt dressing on it slides over that pulley better.... with out dressing it is probably slipping on a pulley that is verging on seizing up... Sounds good in theory !! I know ! Just check it out if you can before you get caught ! Without a serp belt... no power brakes... no power steering... and no heater !! ( i found that one out the hard way)

Old 03-18-2009, 10:27 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
I will check tomorrow morning and get back with you guys. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Serpentine Belt