06 5.4l v8 engine mods!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
allstarfb7
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 5.4l v8 engine mods!

hey i have a 2006 f250 5.4l v8 triton, i have no engine mods yet but am looking for them. so my question is what do you guys think i should buy overall to help "beef up" my motor? and what do you think should be my first purchase? i am looking for faster acceleration, 0-60, and throttle responce etc. and im not rle worried about fuel economy altho it wouldnt hurt. thank you for the time

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
guitarnik
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would put full exhaust on it first, headers to high flow cats to glasspacks to in front of the rear tires. i would also look around on the 06 forum cause those guys prolly understand these motors better

Old 03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
The whipple charger i had on my 2004 made it go very quick.....well in comparison to stock that is, it was still no porsche killer.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:39 AM
motorhead81
Junior User
a programmer and cold air intake is a quick and easy power gain and good for mileage

Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by motorhead81
a programmer and cold air intake is a quick and easy power gain and good for mileage
Although my intake is stock, he is correct on the box helping.

The Edge box is a nice addition to the 5.4 in my current 2007 f150.

It depends what you desire in power gains?

It almost sounds like you want a real hard hitting truck, then I suggest you add boost....Tylus on here has a sweet ride with boost currently.
I sold my 2004 with boost, but it was a great truck, reliable and fun to.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:34 PM
allstarfb7
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Saleenguy

It almost sounds like you want a real hard hitting truck, then I suggest you add boost....Tylus on here has a sweet ride with boost currently.
I sold my 2004 with boost, but it was a great truck, reliable and fun to.
yeah i want a hard hitting truck but what exactly is the best thing to add for boost?

and also what exhaust would u guys recommend?
i also would like 2 add that i would like for my truck to be able 2 be driven daily..

Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by allstarfb7
yeah i want a hard hitting truck but what exactly is the best thing to add for boost?

and also what exhaust would u guys recommend?
i also would like 2 add that i would like for my truck to be able 2 be driven daily..
My 2004 F150 had a whipple super charger on it, and it was my daily driver, trailer tower.

These superchargers that are out for the 5.4 motors are low boost, and perfect for a low maintenance truck, used for every day driving.

Get a roush or a whipple, or any other brand name, and I bet you will love it...... What you are not going to get is some supercharger that is pumping out 30 psi, and making 900 horsepower.....These are 7 or 8 psi motors, that just make a nice 140 to 150 hp more than stock, and run on pump gas, and are turn key drivers.

If you want a tire shredding truck that beats corvettes without even trying, you need a different truck period.....But it will not be a daily driver.
My car is not comfy as a daily driver, and its not something to take the family to the mall in......But if I am in a mood to go for a 45 minute drive in a car that corners like its on rails, and accelerates between those corners very very hard, its a blast to drive.
Took it from town up to the local ski hill for lunch one sunny summer day last year with the wife.....I thought she was so quiet because she was enjoying the drive in the country.
Turns out she was scared to talk, and i had made her really nervous kicking the rear end loose in turns at 120 kms/hour.
I drove home really gentle, so as to not upset her more....I forget when in it that its overwhelming to many people.....Its loud, rides about as smooth as a rodeo bull, and I lose my mind in it, and drive it like its stolen.
Its what i call the 1,500 kms to a set of tires car.
My wife calls it the mistress.....And every so often I tank the mistress out for a good romp!
My trucks are the daily drivers though.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
allstarfb7
Freshman User
yeah that sounds perfect for me, 150 hp would be great!, where did you purchase your supercharger? and do u have a link to a website that has one for my truck? thank you

and p.s. i know exactly what u mean even when i just drive around town in my truck, i drive it like a lambo weaving in and out of everyone and ill look over and see my girlfriend holding onto the seat as to not be thrown out the open window

Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
yeah that sounds perfect for me, 150 hp would be great!, where did you purchase your supercharger? and do u have a link to a website that has one for my truck? thank you

and p.s. i know exactly what u mean even when i just drive around town in my truck, i drive it like a lambo weaving in and out of everyone and ill look over and see my girlfriend holding onto the seat as to not be thrown out the open window
Just type Whipple super charger into google and you will have about a million hits on the subject.

And I want to clarify I do not drive fast or aggressive in traffic.
But when I get on an open road full of corners and no traffic i like to open it up.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
allstarfb7
Freshman User
ok thank you. and did you install the supercharger yourself or go to a shop?

and if you have the edge programmer installed would u say that it made a good deal of difference? and do you think the horsepower and torque claims from it are correct?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
motorhead81
Junior User
ok thank you. and did you install the supercharger yourself or go to a shop?

and if you have the edge programmer installed would u say that it made a good deal of difference? and do you think the horsepower and torque claims from it are correct?
programmers are real easy something you can do on a lunch break the super charger would take some time and there are a couple of issues you would have mainly making sure your fuel ratio is right more air needs more gas then you need to run premium gas and it is labor intensive you got to mount the inner cooler change the intake manifold run the plumbing so it will eat up a lot of a day about half of it

Old 03-23-2009, 01:31 AM
motorhead81
Junior User
and the power out put #'s for most companies like Edge if they say 50 hp you can count on at least 48

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
allstarfb7
Freshman User
so if i installed a supercharger what exactly is everything that i am going to need?
and would you get a supercharger or a programmer first?
hah really that close!? my friend was telln me if they state 50 expect to get like 15

Old 03-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
A tuner will get you a little HP, do not for a moment believe 40 or 50 HP from a tuner, I have dynoed trucks with tuners, and its NOT going to happen.

A SC without intercooler is simple, and relatively cheap HP.

SC with inter cooler will get you a little more, but at a lot more cost, and harder to install.

If your okay with a little better shifting, and a tiny bit of power, get a tuner box, I have the Edge box and its good.

If you want more get a roush or whipple SC.

Myself, i got just boost without an inter cooler.

You can over drive them with a different pulley, and get about 140 to 150 HP, beyond that you need to go with an inter cooler.

Boost is addicting, once you have it, its hard to ever be without it.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM
Saleenguy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by motorhead81
and the power out put #'s for most companies like Edge if they say 50 hp you can count on at least 48

I want your Edge box please.
Mine does not make close to 48 HP....Trade ya.

Quick Reply: 06 5.4l v8 engine mods!