Sponsored by: Moser

Fuel Tank Liners

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 04:08 PM
DesertSmoker
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Fuel Tank Liners

I have a new rear 19 gallon fuel tank to install in my 78 F-150. Should I put a fuel tank liner in it to make the fuel tank last longer?

Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM
EQCMCAT
Laughing Gas
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
DesertSmoker,
Perhaps I should goggle fuel tank liners to educate myself. I haven't heard of them, and I haven't heard them being talked about on our forum nor at work. I work in the Transportation and maintenance industry. I really can't provide any input one way or another sorry. Though my gut instinct tells me, I'd be skeptical using a fuel tank liner especially with a new tank. Seems like money would be spent for something on an item you don't really need. Just me two cents.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:15 PM
mikeo0o0o0
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts
The tank you're replacing lasted what? 40+ years?
I would put my money someplace else.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:00 PM
Shortbox4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
My tank is original. I had to drop it to put a new sending unit in it as well as new filler and vent hoses and while it was out I touched up outside with paint for some added protection. While the tank was out when the bed was off while the truck was being painted I did look inside of it and it was clean as a whistle. No rust etc...

Where I live I do have access to non reformulated gas. That’s all I run in the truck and I think this is also key to helping with any internal rust issues.

If I lived in a area where I only had to use reformulated gas...and needed a new tank. I’d get a plastic tank and skip the metal one all together.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:15 PM
DesertSmoker
Mountain Pass
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Good info.... I have never had a new metal tank. Last new tank I got was a poly one for the tractor. Looks like it is going to be installed with no liner. In 40 years I will post back and let you all know if it was the right answer or not..

Old 04-17-2020, 04:41 PM
68Flareside240
More Turbo
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Ha. I think most of the time the problem comes from fuel (especially ethanol blends) sitting in the tank, separating out, collecting water from the air, and it settling to the bottom of the tank. Now this water mixes with 30 years of dirt and debris from the fuel and making a nice habitat for rust. I'm batting .000 on original gas tanks being able to be salvaged so far. Cheap and (somewhat) east in these trucks to just replace it.

Living next to a river, lot's of folks run ethanol free 89/91/93 in their outboards, so good gas isn't hard to come by around here, just have to pay for it.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:00 PM
symonds86
Laughing Gas
Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 68Flareside240
Ha. I think most of the time the problem comes from fuel (especially ethanol blends) sitting in the tank, separating out, collecting water from the air, and it settling to the bottom of the tank. Now this water mixes with 30 years of dirt and debris from the fuel and making a nice habitat for rust. I'm batting .000 on original gas tanks being able to be salvaged so far. Cheap and (somewhat) east in these trucks to just replace it.

Living next to a river, lot's of folks run ethanol free 89/91/93 in their outboards, so good gas isn't hard to come by around here, just have to pay for it.
I agree my tank sat for 25 ish years with 5 gallons in it, looked great on the outside but inside was trashed and sending unit had been turned into a solid chuck of rusted metal. The smell was the worst I have ever had gas smell and work nights at a small engine shop and get my fair share of we'll seasoned gas

Old 04-17-2020, 07:07 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say absolutely not. I relined a motorcycle tank that had some spot rust starting in it. 10 years later the liner failed, started peeling out in strips. Had to use some really nasty stuff to eat out what was left. It was a huge mess and I'll never use a liner again.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 PM
Gregs47
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a small shop in Knoxville,Iowa that does fuel tank repairs with process that comes with life time warranty. They did my tank very happily with the results. I don’t have my paper work handy to give you phone #

Old 08-10-2020, 09:50 PM
440 sixpack
Lead Driver
Received 1,538 Likes on 1,130 Posts
I've yet to see a liner product that holds up nearly as long as the steel will.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Received 220 Likes on 182 Posts
I restored a couple of WWII Jeeps and some of those guys were so **** about parts that they would take an old RUSTED inside and out fuel tank, repair major holes and then coat the inside with a lining of some sort they got from Eastwood. First, they would put rocks or a piece of chain inside the tank and shake it around to get all the loose rust out. (TOO MUCH sugar for a nickle from where I stand).

I don't think I would treat the inside of a NEW tank. That stuff was made for use inside a rusted tank.

My vote...... fill your new one with gas and ride baby ride!!!!

PS...
These were the same guys that WOULD NOT mix in a ****** bolt on a Ford Jeep...... Script "F" or nothing!!....LOL.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:18 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I went with Bronco Grave Yards plastic tank in the rear of my '79 a few months ago and no problems to report. Really nice quality and It didn't cost much more than a steel tank.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:57 AM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
About the only reason I know to put in liner is if a vehicle will almost never be driven, the owner wants to make it last 100 years, or the tank is irreplaceable. Coming from a Brit sports car background, I know some tanks are literally impossible to replace without fabbing a new one, but I somehow think no Ford dentside fits in that category. If your old tank is crap get a new tank, and if you pay attention to it, it will probably last 60 years instead of 40.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:34 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,107 Likes on 1,795 Posts
Originally Posted by 440 sixpack
I've yet to see a liner product that holds up nearly as long as the steel will.
Originally Posted by HoustonDave
About the only reason I know to put in liner is if a vehicle will almost never be driven, the owner wants to make it last 100 years, or the tank is irreplaceable. Coming from a Brit sports car background, I know some tanks are literally impossible to replace without fabbing a new one, but I somehow think no Ford dentside fits in that category. If your old tank is crap get a new tank, and if you pay attention to it, it will probably last 60 years instead of 40.
HoustonDave I was in that same place with a 1970 AMC car, both tanks I had both had pin holes and really bad rust and junk from old gas sitting in it so I went with.
http://www.gastankrenu.com/ I am vary happy the way it came out for what I want it for and that was close to 20 years now.
I have not had the car on the road but it is in the car. I only put 5 gallons at a time in it with Stable just so I can move the car in and out of my garage so I can work on the pickup.

I would not line a tank that is like new inside and I have heard too many bad things on the DIY liners.
Dave ----

Old 08-11-2020, 02:56 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
Most liners start with needing to knock all the rust and crap out of the tank on the inside... I shudder think what that would be like on a 38 gallon tank! Trying to shake tank with chain or rock inside enough to scour off the rust... I'm too old for that. Helped a guy do it once on a 10 gallon tank, was exhausting. But a great lesson - there are some jobs everyone should try at least once, like teaching, nursing, roofing or farming - you will speedily realize that they ain't paid enough.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Liners