1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:05 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
Ball joints

I took the truck in today for a front end alignment and inspection. I sorta figured there was a chance he was going to tell me I needed ball joints. It has 42k miles on it and they are the originals. He seems to think they are nowhere near critical though. There is no abnormal tire wear and his alignment machine showed it being pretty much right on the money.

So I'm thinking about the Moog ball joints and have some questions.

First question is, where is the best place to get these and how do I make sure I get the right ones. I've been searching and I seem to be finding lots of different part numbers and they don't always identify exactly which joint a particular part number fits. I did find a Federal-Mogul online parts lookup site, and it seems to be telling me that I need F-M part #'s K80026 (upper) and K8607T (lower). Can anyone tell me if this sounds right? Also, can anyone tell me where the best place is to get these for the lowest price?

Second question is, can I do this myself? I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I don't, however, have any special tools, nor do I live anywhere near anything like an Autozone where I can borrow them. Can you buy the special tools and if so where and how much?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out this link. If nothing else at least you can check the part numbers.
You will need a ball joint press. Sometimes you can take your assemblies to a local mechanic and they can press them out and back in.http://catalog.powerstrokeshop.com/p...catalogid=4411

There is a link in tech folder for directions and other parts.
Here is a link for excursion, but they are the same front end as super duty.
2000 Ford Excursion Ball Joint Replacement pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Last edited by wallz; 03-05-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot link
Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never used a press when replacing ball joints, I just put the ball joints in the freezer overnight and clean up the leading edge with a grinder, not too much, and put some grease on it and use a rubber or wooden hammer or put a 2x4 or socket on the ball joint and drive it in. Don't laugh, it works, I learned that from an old diesel mechanic many years ago.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
I have never used a press when replacing ball joints, I just put the ball joints in the freezer overnight and clean up the leading edge with a grinder, not too much, and put some grease on it and use a rubber or wooden hammer or put a 2x4 or socket on the ball joint and drive it in. Don't laugh, it works, I learned that from an old diesel mechanic many years ago.
The best outside of the 9 dots press technique that I've seen would be what my buddy used to press on a new pinion bearing for his '76 Land Cruiser. It went like this: bearing on pinion gear shaft, appropriately size 24" steel pipe over shaft against bearing, jack up rig, put pinion/bearing/steel pipe in between the bumper and two pieces of wood, lower jack, beat on bumper with a sledge hammer. Oh, and it was done at 3am in his driveway. Ahh, good times. I have pictures to prove it should you not believe me.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM
ironmine
Senior User
I think the hardest thing for you would be getting the old balljoints out. Never tried freezing the new ones as stated by Bayou, but my old ones took alot of pressure getting them out. They are pressed into the knuckle, not the axle tube ears, so you could bring the knuckle to someone near you with some sort of press.

Installing a NEW knuckle seal can sometimes be a little tricky ... its tight. If you read through this .... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ll-joints.html .... you'll see how people made an installation tool out of common pipe for $10, that's what I did (the oem tool is on the internet for ~$70, I think).

I'm assuming that your 2004 is like the older models.

Good luck

Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Your part numbers for the Moog ball joints is right on the money. Others have posted links to writeups that should do you right, but I'm sure you could search this site (and the internet overall) and come up with several more versions. My suggestion would be to do just that, read through them all so that you are familiar with the process, and then get to it. It's not a fun just, but not overly difficult either.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:46 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
David- I bought greaseable ball joints at the Napa down in Lakeview and all the seals, O-rings, etc. from the Ford dealer in town there. I took the knuckle and axle down and asked the guys at the Ford dealer what they'd charge to press stuff in and out for me, they said nothing since I had just spent around $100 on parts. The rest of the work can be easily done by yourself, no need to have someone else do it.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 PM
bayou barataria
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by juneau76
The best outside of the 9 dots press technique that I've seen would be what my buddy used to press on a new pinion bearing for his '76 Land Cruiser. It went like this: bearing on pinion gear shaft, appropriately size 24" steel pipe over shaft against bearing, jack up rig, put pinion/bearing/steel pipe in between the bumper and two pieces of wood, lower jack, beat on bumper with a sledge hammer. Oh, and it was done at 3am in his driveway. Ahh, good times. I have pictures to prove it should you not believe me.
Beat on the bumper with a sledghammer? This guy must have been a rocket scientist.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Furian
You Keep What You Kill
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by juneau76
I knew a guy like that back in high school... we called him Cave Man!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 AM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
Beat on the bumper with a sledghammer? This guy must have been a rocket scientist.
Originally Posted by Furian
I knew a guy like that back in high school... we called him Cave Man!
Actually, the guy is a degreed engineer and he has his Professional Engineer's license. He's definitely one of the most mechanically competent people that I know.

Ok, thread hijack over. I see people saying that the zirk fittings interfere with the supports and break off. Does everyone see that with Moog? Other brands? Is it just an installation thing?

Old 03-07-2009, 10:32 AM
ironmine
Senior User
Ok, thread hijack over. I see people saying that the zirk fittings interfere with the supports and break off. Does everyone see that with Moog? Other brands? Is it just an installation thing?
I used 90degree fittings, but took just a little off with the grinder. Worked for me. (I used NAPA balljoints)

Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM
sonneborn3
Senior User
You might wait for these to be available, these are what I am going to as soon as I can find them.
Dynatrac Releases Heavy Duty ProSteer Ball Joint for Dana Front-Axle Trucks | Editorials Blog & Discussion at 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sonneborn3
You might wait for these to be available, these are what I am going to as soon as I can find them.
Dynatrac Releases Heavy Duty ProSteer Ball Joint for Dana Front-Axle Trucks | Editorials Blog & Discussion at 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine
Not a bad option, but not cheap either. $300 per side IIRC?

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM
sonneborn3
Senior User
Yeah, but you'll only have to do it once.