Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BTS vb

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Actually, the plate was easy to drill. The nervous part is when you have to drill your valve bodies!!

I just got my BTS VB in today and I'm looking at the actual VB and I can't find anywhere that it has been drilled. With the help of the pic you posted earlier, I find what holes in the plate got drilled, but still haven't found anything in the VB itself.

Chris-I'll shoot you a pm when I get home and can get them measured.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:43 PM
hucka1a
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokersace
I just got my BTS VB in today and I'm looking at the actual VB and I can't find anywhere that it has been drilled. With the help of the pic you posted earlier, I find what holes in the plate got drilled, but still haven't found anything in the VB itself.

Some vb's require drilling and some don't. Mine required drilling, but it wasn't bad at all. Post up those measurments if you don't mind, I'm curious as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by hucka1a
Some vb's require drilling and some don't. Mine required drilling, but it wasn't bad at all. Post up those measurments if you don't mind, I'm curious as well.
Cale set mine up for 80hp, Jody's tunes, and firm/solid shifts. My holes are drilled as follows:

2nd: 5/64"
3rd: 1/16"
4th: 1/8"

After talking to Cale, each and every VB is different depending on what you tow and how much weight, what you want for firmness, tuning, etc. So, the sizes above are what he set mine up for, but for others it may be different.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay -- thanks for that info. I just went with the closest SAE bit I had that was close to the large-side of the range given in the instructions. Also, after playing with it more and getting more seat time/experience with it, I now know that the "soft shift" I was griping about is the TC locking. It took a lot of playing and making mental notes for it to sink in to my head that the TC locking was like another gear. The 1-2 shift happens so soon and so early, that I was missing it at first, so I wasn't sure if I was counting a shift there or not... Anyway, After determining what was the 3-4 and what was the TC locking, I can say that the 3-4 shift is plenty firm the way mine is drilled! I guess I got lucky....

Old 03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by F350-6
Good point Joe. I'd be curious to see what size holes Brian drills in the plates as well. We're supposed to put a TransGo in Barry's truck this weekend. We might just drill the same size holes Brian does if we get the info in time.

Hey Chris- Thanks for the reps! Tried to rep back by have to spread some around first!! How'd the install go this weekend?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by hucka1a
Well I was wrong about the actual VB not being drilled. Didn't see the holes until I got the old one out last night. There are 2 holes drilled into it. I've got better pics but I'll have to get them loaded up first. In the meantime, I found a pic of Guzzle's that kinda shows them. They are circled.

Note: the notch in the vb is towards the front, so this would be on the holes would be on the passenger side. There is a small flat "shelf" there. The holes are 5/64". On mine they are 7/16" between holes, 5/32" from outer edge (towards outside of vb) and 7/32" from the inner edge (middle of vb). They are centered top and bottom. All measurements are to the center of the holes. I'll get my pics better pics uploaded in the next few days.

Sorry Chris!! I hope this didn't screw anything up for the install on Barry's truck.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry Chris!! I hope this didn't screw anything up for the install on Barry's truck.
Maybe that's why his transmission won't shift.

Not really. I was more curious about the separator plate holes anyway. When one of your numbers didn't look right, we just ignored it and used the instruction sheet. The install went fine, and we've still got room to drill larger holes if need be, but I think he's happy with the way it's shifting now, so it will probably stay as is.

No worries

Old 03-05-2009, 04:57 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by F350-6
Maybe that's why his transmission won't shift.

Not really. I was more curious about the separator plate holes anyway. When one of your numbers didn't look right, we just ignored it and used the instruction sheet. The install went fine, and we've still got room to drill larger holes if need be, but I think he's happy with the way it's shifting now, so it will probably stay as is.

No worries
You had me spooked for a minute until I scrolled down!!! Glad it worked. I'll get to see how mine shifts by Saturday hopefully.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll get to see how mine shifts by Saturday hopefully.
Good deal Ryan, maybe i'll see how mine shifts by..........say next week.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Here's the pics of the drilled holes in the VB. Refer to my measurements above:

Old 03-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So how do you like it???

BIG difference, eh? When I finally did my TransGo, I was pissed I didn't to it sooner. It sat in my garage for about 6 months before I finally put it in. And after I got the tuning to match, it was like all over again...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:17 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
It doesn't shift as hard as I was expecting. More solid/firm shifts for sure, but I guess I was expecting harder shifts for some reason. The truck's drivability and ablitly to better utilize the shifts has improved. Keep in mind that I'm still running stock programming. I'm getting live tuned by DP in a couple of weeks so we'll see how it feels then. Definately better than the spongy stock shifting!

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think mine switches fine after Chris and I installed it....The truck just does not start when you want it to....Chris knows?