Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

payload question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
ford12508
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it looks like the expy weighs in at about 5500 and the F150 is 4700. The F150 has a crew cab on it though, so without it it probably weighs about 4500 or so.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Powerdude
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People who don't understand that tongue weight counts as payload have no business buying trucks or driving them, for that matter.

Why? Because if they don't understand that simple concept, they're liable to kill somebody if something goes wrong while towing.

Avoid those weaving newbs like the plague on the freeway.

As for the 900 lbs payload, marketing sells trucks. Platinum/KR super buzzy LCD camera backup chrome wrapped looky looks sell trucks.

Uuuu...look at the leather wrapped castano leather embossed futzy wuzzy LDC iPod player.Yeah, that thingy sells trucks.

That's why people have buyer's remorse. Do your homework, understand the numbers. Otherwise, you have to be laughed at like a cheap blonde TV pimp from North Philly.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,246 Likes on 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerdude
People who don't understand that tongue weight counts as payload have no business buying trucks or driving them, for that matter.

Why? Because if they don't understand that simple concept, they're liable to kill somebody if something goes wrong while towing.

Avoid those weaving newbs like the plague on the freeway.

As for the 900 lbs payload, marketing sells trucks. Platinum/KR super buzzy LCD camera backup chrome wrapped looky looks sell trucks.

Uuuu...look at the leather wrapped castano leather embossed futzy wuzzy LDC iPod player.Yeah, that thingy sells trucks.

That's why people have buyer's remorse. Do your homework, understand the numbers. Otherwise, you have to be laughed at like a cheap blonde TV pimp from North Philly.

That's funny as hell and I couldn't agree more. Likewise I feel that the RV dealers should be restricted by national law to sell an RV or a boat & trailer that is heavier than the truck is rated for. The truck's rating and it's actual abilitie are different, likewise every owner has a different level of experience behind the wheel of a loaded truck and a different level of common sense.

Tim

Old 03-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Power Kid
Elder User
Good in theory, in reality ever RV maker dead.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Chris Anchor
Elder User
Smile

Travel trailers and Toy Haulers are the worst for user abuse. I would bet 80% of the units rolling are overloaded for the trailer and the truck. I bought a lightweight trailer 6500 lbs GVW and figured that we would end putting about 1500 lbs extra in there, so that put me under (giving me about 3000 lbs less then max) what the truck could handle. It's safety and it just makes good sense to always run under the max of any vehicle you either load or tow. How many of us have seen the unhappy faces of the family on the side of the road with their trailer blown to pieces and the truck on it's side. Too many people just hook it up and go without doing their homework. Or the wrong combination or damaged parts somewhere on the rig. A few years back and guy was hauling firewood in an older trailer that was very overloaded, it broke loose and ended killing a woman on her way home, he didn't think and now he is sorry but she is still dead. This thread is one of the longest I have seen on a forum in a while but it's important that this question is out there not some much as whether Ford or any manufacture is trying to snow us with numbers but more that we as owner/operator's of these different models of the same basic truck understand what the limits are. I'm off my soapbox and off to do the yearly shearing of the sheep (Did you know that the F-150 can safely haul 15 ewes). Chris

Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
My wifes's uncle in Nebraska always pulls a 40-42' fifth wheeler all over the country and he always used a SRW F-350. In 2001, he was pulling on a flat area and his left rear tire blew with his rig attached.

Can you imagine the perilous thoughts that went through his mind for a couple of minutes as he was regaining control of his rig?

Shortly after he went and bought a DRW F-350. The dually is much more stable than the SRW. The SRW F-350 was not over loaded but the fact remains that when you have that kind of weight, the extra tires can save lives in a fluke accident. I think we've been guilty of forgetting our responsibilities as motorists. Sorry

Tim

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
That's funny as hell and I couldn't agree more. Likewise I feel that the RV dealers should be restricted by national law to sell an RV or a boat & trailer that is heavier than the truck is rated for. The truck's rating and it's actual abilitie are different, likewise every owner has a different level of experience behind the wheel of a loaded truck and a different level of common sense.

Tim
Your right about the RV/trailer dealers should have a bit of common sense and make sure the person who owns the setup has a truck suitable to tow with. When i bought my carmate trailer the bloke said your SUV is fine towing it but it's not the best and you really need a TBC. I told him that i had a F150 on order with a TBC and he said great thats a perfect truck for this trailer. He said that he wont sell a trailer to people who dont have the proper setup to tow.

Ok so i need a question answered. My bro in laws fully loaded 7 seat expy with the longer back has a 600lb higher payload rateing than my truck. it has same tires and same size wheels. Why on earth does he have a higher payload?? With the back seats down he has the same seating seatup as my truck and a lot of space to carry gear in the back. That thing must weight more than my truck as its the same length but has all the extra electric fold down seats, electric tailgate and all the other gadgets that make the trucks heavy. It seems like if you did load all the weight would be over the same place as it would in a bed of a f150???

Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the Expy have the 9.9 axle?

I really think You need to weigh Your truck. That way, You'll KNOW what Your dealing with.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:48 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
Ok so i need a question answered. My bro in laws fully loaded 7 seat expy with the longer back has a 600lb higher payload rateing than my truck. it has same tires and same size wheels. Why on earth does he have a higher payload?? With the back seats down he has the same seating seatup as my truck and a lot of space to carry gear in the back. That thing must weight more than my truck as its the same length but has all the extra electric fold down seats, electric tailgate and all the other gadgets that make the trucks heavy. It seems like if you did load all the weight would be over the same place as it would in a bed of a f150???
I don't think the EL Expy is as long as your truck. My standard Expy is a few inches shorter than my reg cab '88 F-150. Your bro in law's Expy may have the max trailer tow option. Yours can't possibly have it as you would have the 3.73.1 LS axles as a default item for having the package. I believe you stated that yours has the 3.55.1 LS axles. The max tow option automatically gives you the 5.4L w/ 6spd tranny, 3.73.1 axles, heavier payload, 7 pin harness and something heavier in the front end plus heavier duty cooling items.

Tim

Old 03-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
80% is too low. More like 90%. Many F250s are over on rear axle weight. Plus almost all half tons, every van, etc anything pulling more than a tent tariler you could safely assume their over. The one exception was the -03 7700 gvw F150. They were light and had the higher gvw.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Power Kid
80% is too low. More like 90%. Many F250s are over on rear axle weight. Plus almost all half tons, every van, etc anything pulling more than a tent tariler you could safely assume their over. The one exception was the -03 7700 gvw F150. They were light and had the higher gvw.
I thought that was a sweet package. It made the F-150 look and act like a very stout truck. This is a package that the longer wheel based Screws could benefit from.

Tim

Old 03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
I didn't read all the pages, but here's my payload door sticker load rating - 1147 pounds.

my truck is a Platinum 4x4 Screw 5.5 foot bed with p-rated 20's

Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I didn't read all the pages, but here's my payload door sticker load rating - 1147 pounds.

my truck is a Platinum 4x4 Screw 5.5 foot bed with p-rated 20's
steve what options you got?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
steve what options you got?
just the standard Platinum package, 5.5' bed, with Navigation, Moonroof, and 3.55LS rear end. That's it.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
just the standard Platinum package, 5.5' bed, with Navigation, Moonroof, and 3.55LS rear end. That's it.
Well it looks like you infact lose a lot more payload than ford say when you go from a 5.5ft bed to a 65ft bed. They need to sort their #%!t out so people know what they are buying.

Quick Reply: payload question