Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

payload question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone happen to have a SCrew FX4 5.5 max tow and know thier payload? Got me curious.

I suspect this whole area will be Fords focus come the next full clean sheet redesign of the F150. Stiff chassis, with low enough curb weight that payload is not handicapped. Plus lighter the curb weigh the higher the mpg jumps. It all just snowballs. Thats why those engineers are getting the big bucks.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
How do You figure a F250 operating cost's are 'Quite a bit higher'?

Similarly equipped trucks get about the same fuel mileage.

A 3/4 or 1 ton truck is heavier and has heavier/stronger components than a 1/2 ton truck. These parts cost more to replace such as rotors, suspension parts, etc. Do you have any proof of the trucks getting the same fuel mileage?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Well with the 250 being heavier and punching a bigger hole due to poorer aeros this is not hard to compute.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
lilrezs
New User
towing and payload

it is very confusing i have 09 fx4 with max tow and my dealer said my payload was 1680lbs i have 20 inch wheels by the numbers i should have no problem towing mid range fifth wheels

Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by lilrezs
it is very confusing i have 09 fx4 with max tow and my dealer said my payload was 1680lbs i have 20 inch wheels by the numbers i should have no problem towing mid range fifth wheels
What your dealer said may or may not be true. What does your door jamb payload/tire load sticker say on it? You need to include all passengers, cargo, and tongue weight in your payload. If you read through this thread, it seems like the dealer often has no clue other than looking up a number in a book which is a "max" number subject to reduction for a whole bunch of stuff.

As for the 250 using more gas and having higher operating costs--if you are pulling a 8-10k lb trailer or like that, it's unlikely that the gas mileage or operating costs will be *that* different between a 150 and a 250. You will definitely wear out/warp more brake rotors on the 150, and may also wear out or break more suspension parts due to them being more highly stressed.

Likewise, a Ranger will be much cheaper to operate than a 150 or a 250 as an empty truck, but hook up the 8k lb trailer to that and I bet your operating costs will go waaay up....if you survive.

George

Old 03-05-2009, 03:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
As for the 250 using more gas and having higher operating costs--if you are pulling a 8-10k lb trailer or like that, it's unlikely that the gas mileage or operating costs will be *that* different between a 150 and a 250. You will definitely wear out/warp more brake rotors on the 150, and may also wear out or break more suspension parts due to them being more highly stressed.

How many people with pickup trucks for work trucks are actually pulling around a 8-10k trailer all the time? How are you going to wear out the brakes and rotors on an F-150 faster if your trailer is properly set up with electric brakes? I hear people talk all the time about how they need super duper swiss cryogenic cheese rotors with super duper titanium pads because they tow trailers. I have working brakes on my trailers with a brake controller and therefore do not stress the truck brakes more than I would empty.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go down and check the board. Guys are reporting 16-17 MPG in the 5.4 F250's w/3.55's

Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
dbossman
Tuned
Received 30 Likes on 9 Posts
one more head scratcher

ok, I suspect we are about to run out of steam on this thread. However, I have one more question.

If you look at the 2009 Towing guide, there is a pic of a red Lariat Crew, with trailer tow mirrors, running boards, moonroof, and a passenger in the front. It is towing a fifth wheel (perhaps Jayco) travel trailer.

I'm not a expert at travel trailers, but I believe that trailer must have a 1500+ pin weight. Based on the payload ratings I have seen, that must be overloaded.

Hmmm.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:51 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by dbossman
ok, I suspect we are about to run out of steam on this thread. However, I have one more question.

If you look at the 2009 Towing guide, there is a pic of a red Lariat Crew, with trailer tow mirrors, running boards, moonroof, and a passenger in the front. It is towing a fifth wheel (perhaps Jayco) travel trailer.

I'm not a expert at travel trailers, but I believe that trailer must have a 1500+ pin weight. Based on the payload ratings I have seen, that must be overloaded.

Hmmm.
When you get the Max Trailer Tow Package, it supposedly comes with "upgraded rear springs" as long as you get 18" wheels. So, maybe that helps with the payload?

Personally, I think it is total BS that a truck like Bsimmer's is only rated for 900 lbs payload. Anyone who has ever hauled anything with one of these trucks knows that it is capable of carrying much more weight while still handling and braking very safely. But, apparently the other brands do the same thing. D@#! lawyers.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
When you get the Max Trailer Tow Package, it supposedly comes with "upgraded rear springs" as long as you get 18" wheels. So, maybe that helps with the payload?
Yes the extra rear leafs increase payload to cope with the extra tongue weight that may be used for the extra towing capacity. What i would like to know is what is the lariat able to carry when fully loaded and as if you built it to the same spec as my truck and fitted the 18's you only get the normal amount of leaf srings and no extra leaf's. I guess it would have an even lower payload than my 900lb as i have the extra leafs???? If that makes any sense.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:07 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bsimmer3000
Yes the extra rear leafs increase payload to cope with the extra tongue weight that may be used for the extra towing capacity. What i would like to know is what is the lariat able to carry when fully loaded and as if you built it to the same spec as my truck and fitted the 18's you only get the normal amount of leaf srings and no extra leaf's. I guess it would have an even lower payload than my 900lb as i have the extra leafs???? If that makes any sense.
I added something to my previous post you may want to check out.....anyhow, I can't answer your question exactly, but my truck is pretty close. The door sticker says 1257 lbs. Biggest differences between mine and yours (besides trim) are that I have 18" wheels and the 5.5' bed.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Bsimmer3000
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cpdorroh
I added something to my previous post you may want to check out.....anyhow, I can't answer your question exactly, but my truck is pretty close. The door sticker says 1257 lbs. Biggest differences between mine and yours (besides trim) are that I have 18" wheels and the 5.5' bed.
I guess the laws the law for the GVWR and anything above that is not allowed. What i dont understand though is how a expy can have a higher GVWR?? It's a suv and aint really gonna be expected to haul anything and tow anything like a truck would. WHat i really find stupid more than anything is it's designed to fit 5 people in it but do they think everyone weights 180+ or less? I dont think i know one bloke 180 or under. So i can have 5 people in my truck but i have to make sure they are 2 ft tall and weight less than 180lbs each lol. Gonna have to start taking a scale out with me.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
cpdorroh
Elder User
I guess the laws the law for the GVWR and anything above that is not allowed. What i dont understand though is how a expy can have a higher GVWR?? It's a suv and aint really gonna be expected to haul anything and tow anything like a truck would. WHat i really find stupid more than anything is it's designed to fit 5 people in it but do they think everyone weights 180+ or less? I dont think i know one bloke 180 or under. So i can have 5 people in my truck but i have to make sure they are 2 ft tall and weight less than 180lbs each lol. Gonna have to start taking a scale out with me.
Better subtract 5 lbs for the scale......... I couldn't resist.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Power Kid
Elder User

No change in payload with the extra leaf. And its std w 20's. GVW and rear axle max ratings rule the day. And the f150 pulling the 5th wheel is Wayyyyyyyy over weight.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Go down and check the board. Guys are reporting 16-17 MPG in the 5.4 F250's w/3.55's
And I did 24 once in my F150? Braggin' about mpg is like braggin about fishin. If I'm not there to witness I call BS. Who would get 3.55s in a F250 5.4L? You wouldn't be able to get out of your own way! If I got one it would be 3.73s m in, probably 4.10s.

Quick Reply: payload question