Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

!!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!!

Old 12-08-2002, 10:32 AM
MAK347
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick FYI. Re-tighten your spark plugs periodically! I blew the #3 plug traveling to Pa. on Thanksgiving day. The ejection force also severed the retaining ear on the coil pack and screwed up the threads on the cylinder head. Upon inspecting the spark plug, I found only slight imperfections on the last 2 threads leading me to believe that the plug slowly eeked its way out over time. I limped to a local Ford dealer who wouldn't honor the factory warranty due to the performance modifications I've made. I had a choice of replacing the head or removing both heads to install the heli-coils in all 8 spark plug holes for the same money - (3k ouch!). I opted for heli-coil fix for extra durability - I'm running 14psi of boost. I'm also writing a letter to Ford to complain as I've found out that this is a fairly common failure in stock and supercharged 5.4's. I've got 31k miles on my truck and will now check my plugs every 7-10k miles for piece of mind. Hope this saves someone else the wallet depleting aggravation I just experienced.

Mike K
2001 Black Lightning #3440
Diablo Chip - 6# Program
PSP Filter
PSP 6# Lower Pulley
Single Blade T-Body
Tranny Valve Body
Truck-Tracs Bars
Motorsport 1-1/4" Lowering Kit
Bald F1's

Old 12-10-2002, 08:23 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User

ya know thats bull that they didnt honor the warranty. im a ford tech..those plugs blow out all the time on the regular motors...the exoedition and f-series..it has nuthin to do with the mods.

Language edited by Moderator

Last edited by MustangGT221; 03-27-2006 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Tony1790
Senior User

Come take a look on the Super Duty forum and the V10 forum, there is plenty of talk of the spark plugs blowing out on the # 3 and #4 cylinders. Sounds pretty common on the 5.4 and 6.8. Take them to small claims court to recoupe the 3k, it won't cost you much, no lawyer and Ford will more than likely settle before the court date.

Good luck

Tony in Alaska

Old 01-04-2003, 11:34 PM
jwasted
New User

The 6 lb pulley is why the plug blew, you can say i am liar if you want. I have had 3 gen 2s so far . I have a 2002 at the moment, and it is modded heavily. Get some better aftermarket plugs and you will not have the problem anymore NGK TR6 plugs work fine for a cheaper set. They handle boost alot better than factory lol. Drop me a line if you want some other options on plugs.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User
Post !!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!!

the pully change has little to do with the plug failure. it is a defect in the heads that ford is aware of. im sure the pully didnt help but the fact that it is common in the other vehicles says it all.

Old 01-05-2003, 09:52 AM
jwasted
New User

I know of the problem with the heads, but look at the mods. When you upgrade to a deep sump oil pan you need more oil right ? same with pulleys and cold air inductions, for every upgrade there is another to even it out. When you put a 6lb pulley on it's time for new plugs, this is even more true considering the truck needs a chip and cold air with the pulley setup.

Old 01-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User

i agree...there is always a weak link...however there is no excuse for a plug to blow out of a cylinder head. if cylinder pressure was that high...the head gasket would blow or the bolts would stretch before a properly installed plug would blow out.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:27 PM
lghtningstruk
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Harley2003
New User
Smile Funny, FORD changed head design in 2003.

Isn't it funny that Ford decided to change the cylinder head design in 2003 for these motors!! One of the major changes they did was to improve the threaded area where the plug goes. Maybe it's because TOO MANY PEOPLE WERE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM !!!!!!!

Frick me, when are these people (Ford Motor Co.) gonna realize that maybe, just maybe, they have a design flaw and they should help their customers get good service and satifaction from the maker of the vehicle. Thats BS because you run 6 PSI more boost that your spark plugs blow out !!! Give me a break. The spark plug can take it so why can't your cylinder head.

Why do you think consumer confidence is down when you ask them about their North American built car. It's not the quality of the vehicle, it's the crappy experience they get when they report a problem, especially if it is one of those "special, don't acknowledge we have a problem problems" How many times have you heard the service "A-hole" say something like this: "Oh sorry to hear you are having a problem Mr. Noosebalm, but we will get that in for a look ASAP, would you like to take advantage of our 29 point winter comprehensive inspection for $29.95?" My response is: "No Mr. A-hole, I would like to know why my spark plug flew out of my frickin cylinder head, perhaps I could log onto your internet and show you 1000+ websites pointing to this exact propblem, and then I could listen to you tell me how this is the first time you have ever seen this problem before"

I have been through this and read many blogs about a similar problem with the cams failing on the V8 SHO Taurus. FOMOCO tried to bury this deep in the political caverns within the company and many people have lost their motors with basically no course of action to get it fixed. IT IS A MAJOR DESIGN FLAW THAT YOU SOLD FOR FOUR YEARS RUNNING!!! I could go on forever about this but it all boils down to customer satisfaction. Something that seems to be disappearing rapidly in todays marketplace. Ifyou want to read more about this go to www.v8sho.com

If I sound a little bitter about this, it's because I am. I work in the "tool and mold industry" and I see the negative impact happening daily in my region of the world. It's time to learn a second language, perhaps Chinese would be a good choice? I will always buy a FORD product but as I get older I fear I might get wiser and possibly do something stupid. Chrysler seems to have built some exciting products lately. Come on FOMOCO make something to kick their butts. Something with 4 doors maybe. I'm pretty sure after many years in racing you could come up with something. Maybe an alternative fuel, all wheel drive DC motor torque monster. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Last edited by Harley2003; 03-05-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:04 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is totally a design flaw. Obviously it would be too costly to due a recall on them, but they should honor warranty's on these, even if there have been modifications. Even if Ford said, "yes we screwed up, they were poorly designed. We will repair the head with an insert for anyone who has this happen to them". I think everyone would be happy. Inserts are fine. In fact, they are probably better than even the new designed 8 thread heads.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:44 PM
Blurry94
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
The newer style PI 5.4 heads have twice as many threads (8) as the old ones. Whatever you do, do NOT overtighten the plugs. This seems to be more common on the Lightings than the F-150's though. My guess is the there is more noise/vibrations and I'm sure that added cylinder pressure plays some part as well.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
mnalightning00
New User
is there a torque setting for installing spark plugs.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:46 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning2Fast
ya know thats bull that they didnt honor the warranty. im a ford tech..those plugs blow out all the time on the regular motors...the exoedition and f-series..it has nuthin to do with the mods.
If you're a Ford Technician than you'd fully understand and realize that Ford would never honor a warranty of a modified vehicle. The only time they have to is when it is obviously not related - like the radio dies. Any other auto maker would have the same procedure.

They have every right to deny a warranty claim in this situation, even if it's related to the spark plug blow-out problem.

The real issue here is that there are millions upon millions of these heads out there that they'd have to replace if they issued a recall, and we all know what that would cost, it would sink Ford.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:15 PM
captchas
dead wrong

Originally Posted by jwasted
The 6 lb pulley is why the plug blew, you can say i am liar if you want. I have had 3 gen 2s so far . I have a 2002 at the moment, and it is modded heavily. Get some better aftermarket plugs and you will not have the problem anymore NGK TR6 plugs work fine for a cheaper set. They handle boost alot better than factory lol. Drop me a line if you want some other options on plugs.
sorry man and i'm not flaming you .the mods have nothing to do with it.
there was a problem with the cylinder head design not the spark plug. the early heads did not have enough threads and would come loose.the late heads are fully threaded like 02 and newer.i forget the correct year 01 something month
all you can do on the early heads is retorqe them every 10 to 15k with a inch pound torqe wrench to proper amount.
the best plugs are motor craft or auto light.but here EACH to his her own

Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While there is a known problem with the spark plug hole in the heads...you can't say his mods had nothing to do with it. They obviously increased cylinder pressure and put more pressure on those plugs.

It may be that one was loose and finally shot out...or what...but you can't say it had "nothing" to do with it...it did...it probably just made it happen a lot sooner...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!!