!!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!! - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

!!!!Spark Plug Ejection!!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Civilian
Freshman User
Civilian is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did infer that in my first post, as I thought I was going to have to have the head removed to be fixed. The majority of expense would have been labor so why not just get some new heads, but I hope it can get done without being removed.
It is a 2002 Excursion and I might just try to find a 05 with the V10 or diesel in it for the long term as I love it just wouldn't mind a "little more".

Old 04-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Civilian View Post
It is a 2002 Excursion and I might just try to find a 05 with the V10 or diesel in it for the long term as I love it just wouldn't mind a "little more".
Huh? You have a V10 Excursion and you posted in the Lightning forum?

LOL...no worries bro. These forums are vehicle specific. My answer to you was based on the assumption you had a Gen 2, 5.4L F150 Lightning.

For your V10 specific questions, you need to post in the V10 forum.

For your Excursion specific questions, you'll want to post in the Excursion forum.

Welcome to FTE, by the way!

Stewart

Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Civilian
Freshman User
It wasn't excursion specific but rather specific engine problem. Those 5.4 heads in 2002 were designed poorley, I was looking to see what others did to fix the problem This thread looked to be the one with a fix in it, just seeing if any new fixes came about or what options.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
It wasn't excursion specific but rather specific engine problem. Those 5.4 heads in 2002 were designed poorley, I was looking to see what others did to fix the problem This thread looked to be the one with a fix in it, just seeing if any new fixes came about or what options.
I understand.

There is a thread in the V10 forum addressing this problem too. It's probably just as old! I know there's a thread like this one in the SuperDuty forum.

The problem is, when I thought you were asking about replacing the heads, since this is a vehicle specific forum, the only two vehicles this forum covers (that could have spit a plug) would be the Gen 2 Lightning and the 5.4L powered Harley Trucks. Because of that, my answer to you (when I misunderstood and thought you were asking about head replacement) was very engine specific.

JDM (the last time I checked) was still only a speed shop for 5.4L and 4.6L powered trucks and Mustangs. So you can see how that answer wouldn't apply to you. It's just a matter of communication. You've now made yourself clear that you were only looking for update info.

BTW, it wasn't just '02 model years. It was from '99 to '02 (with a few reported cases of '03's having spit a plug too), covering the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8L engines.

One last thing, Lock-n-Stitch inserts are the threaded inserts that Ford recommends to fix their modular heads.

Spark Plug Thread Repair Inserts <~~click the link

Stewart

Old 04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Civilian
Freshman User
cool thank you,
it is a 5.4 not the V-10.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
cool thank you,
it is a 5.4 not the V-10.
Damn, I really need to slow down when I read!

When I see someone has an Ex, I automatically think it's either a 6.8 gas burner or a PSD smoke roller.

Again, my apologies!

Stewart

Old 06-06-2010, 04:42 PM
2002 F350V10
Posting Guru
2002 F350V10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The issue continued through atleast 2006 since I have an 06 crown vic which ejected a plug also.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:45 PM
Nitemare2
Freshman User
Nitemare2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I purchased a used 01 Expedition with the 5.4 but knew nothing about the head troubles, I also have heard that the Ford plug has very few threads on it as well. Since my Expedition has 352,000 km on it I have no worries but for those in that time slot where the number three cylinder is the main culprit, could the threads in the #3 plug be extended a little further in without much cost involved? Like myself most of us driving Fords will continue to do so and understanding the situation up front goes a long way, for the cost of extending the threads on the problem cylinders, it wouldn't break Fords bank and they still wouldn't have to admit a mistake, just taking a precaution for their customers. On the modification issue, no manufacturer will assume responsibility if you modify their product, if you purchased it after Ford made them for you, yes but it's written somewhere on every product out there that modifications will void your warranty, even if there's an existing problem. I know this is an old thread but I still need my say here.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM
jackstand
New User
jackstand is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ding dong my 2000 F 250 V 10 is gone. I sold that pos and I fell bad for the sap that bought it. Good thing that Ford has managed to keep the lid on the plug blowout issue. Too bad after 100 years of auto mfg they cant design an engine that doesnt spew plugs. Good ridance to it.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:54 AM
jackstand
New User
Back after a "holiday". Ive had quite a number of people ask me if I miss my F250 . Sadly my answer is no. Been shopping to find a late to mid 90s f150 with a straight 6. My brother owns one and he also owns the shop that stuck the plug back into the cylinder head on my V10. To everyone that I might have offeneded by knocking the Ford product I hope you have many trouble free miles on your triton 1998 _2003 engines. I did not.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Stewart_H
The Nekkid Super Mod
Originally Posted by jackstand View Post
Good thing that Ford has managed to keep the lid on the plug blowout issue.
There's no lid. This is a widespread, commonly known problem.

I'm sure not every human on the earth has heard about it, but it's not a big secret.

Stewart

Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM
jackstand
New User
Hello Stewart. Agreed its no secret but untill my 2000 F250 which I owned since new blew a plug I was totaly unaware that Ford had produced a flawed engine design. When I sold my 250 I am sure the buyer had no idea that the engine was suspect as the truck ran like fine tuned machine. Blew the plug at about 130,000 KLMS when I sold it was at 170,000klms. The reason I found FTE was to see if others had similar troubles. Since then I have learned more about some of Fords less than better ideas.
Not sure of the years but having to remove the truck body from the frame to replace engine parts is not a better idea. I also have read the replies that point out design flaws in other product from GM and Chrysler. If I owned one of them Im sure that when the (xxxxx) failed I would find a web site to research that product. For many years I was a staunch Ford supporter and would have never entertained the idea of buying anything but a Ford. I have learned that before you spend $40,000 on a new pick up do your homework.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder
85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold85lebaront2 is a splendid one to behold
jackstand, that is exactly why a lot of us do not buy new vehicles. My 1986 F-350 currently has roughly 131,000 miles or 218,333 Kms on the 460. Still has the original king pins in the front and will never eject a spark plug unless I don't tighten it enough.

As far as having to remove the cab to do major work, my brother's 07 Tundra had a failed air diverter module and the dealer had to pull the cab partially off to reach it. Based on what I told him he got Toyota to eat the repair under the emission performance warranty.

The issue seems to be, in the ever increasing government meddling, between emission requirements and fuel economy requirements the manufacturers are caught between a rock and a hard place. Better aerodynamics (lower drag) helps with both, so we have trucks with the engine way back and down to allow a smoother hood line. Stick a V10 in place of a V6 or V8 and it gets worse.

Ford's engineers did screw up on the aluminum heads and long reach tapered seat plugs, they tried what GM did in the 70s with iron heads, only have 3/8" of threads on a 3/4" reach plug. Great on cast iron heads, not so nice on aluminum. Couple that with and automatic spark plug torque unit that is a bit high and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:50 AM
Johns01
Junior User
Johns01 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I've posted this on the other plug thread here (one of ?)

at this point in time complaining about the issue is redundant - preventing it is almost priceless
and it's not hard to do

buy a mechanic's stethoscope and keep it in the glovebox- then use it every month or so , or when you do an oil change , whatever works for you

with the stethoscope you can tell easily if a plug is loose or not .. and if so exactly which one

touch the stethoscope tip to each coil .. if tight you'll only hear a nice soft faint clicking as the plug fires
if loose you WILL hear an almighty racket

the plastic pouch the stethoscope comes in is also a handy place to keep the little wrenches you need for swapping coils ..know what I mean Vern???