Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just curious

Today I had to limp my truck home after helping a friend move. It wouldn't go over 10mph! When I got into my community I had to let it idle in drive to get home. If I hit the gas or brake the truck would stumble and die. The truck was running rough like it needed a tune up earlier before this happened. Any educated guesses?

When I got it home I started to pull the codes but I have no luck reading that damn light. Now the truck wont even start. Anyone have any ideas. I did get a code or I think I got a code about the coil pack and replaced that with no avail. Tomorrow at 8am I'm going to go purchase a mac obd-1 scanner with all the attachments for gmc, ford, ect, ect for 50 big ones!

BTW its a 95 302 efi, auto, w/ 150k ish miles.

Edit: I put gas in the rear tank and that had no affect on it what so ever.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Beastly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you tell if you are getting spark, fuel, and air? Are all the vacuum lines still hooked up properly?

I'm just taking a wild guess here, so don't act on it unless it makes sense to you, but maybe a fuel pressure/pump issue? (I'm thinking strong enough flow to idle, but not deliver more.)

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beastly
Can you tell if you are getting spark, fuel, and air? Are all the vacuum lines still hooked up properly?

I'm just taking a wild guess here, so don't act on it unless it makes sense to you, but maybe a fuel pressure/pump issue? (I'm thinking strong enough flow to idle, but not deliver more.)
As far as I know yes. The truck wont even idle or start now. no telling. I have like 2-4 codes in it currently. However I can never read that stupid light properly. I think the MAF or TPS might be the issue but we will see tomorrow when i get off work at 7am and go pickup that scanner.

Edit: I didn't really have time to check fuel or spark. I do know if I hold the gas down while starting it. The truck will want to start, stumble for a secound or two then die.

Edit: I don't think its a fuel pump issue becuase I tried the rear and front gas tanks with the same results.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
big_ford_rednek
Senior User
sounds like it is starving for fuel, a fuel filter?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Originally Posted by big_ford_rednek
sounds like it is starving for fuel, a fuel filter?
air and fuel filter replaced less then 1k ago.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM
FinallyaFORD
Freshman User
Id still check the fuel filter. could of have some gunk in one of the tanks and its clogging the filter now. I know every so often that happens to one of the trucks in my fleet. Maybe even bad gas?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Originally Posted by FinallyaFORD
Id still check the fuel filter. could of have some gunk in one of the tanks and its clogging the filter now. I know every so often that happens to one of the trucks in my fleet. Maybe even bad gas?
Could be but I doubt it. I'll see what the codes read in the morning and go from their. I do know it has been getting really crappy gas mileage recently.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:21 AM
orng1
Postmaster
You know I hadn't thought about it but now that you mentioned it runs rough when you hit the brakes I think you may have a vac leak. Try putting the boost gauge from your car onto the truck and see what it does. You should be getting closet to 20 between 16-22 would run well. The higher the more compresion your being able to hold. It progresively has gotten worse so it could also be that the motor is wearing out.

Oh and BOO! I'm on every forum.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Originally Posted by orng1
You know I hadn't thought about it but now that you mentioned it runs rough when you hit the brakes I think you may have a vac leak. Try putting the boost gauge from your car onto the truck and see what it does. You should be getting closet to 20 between 16-22 would run well. The higher the more compresion your being able to hold. It progresively has gotten worse so it could also be that the motor is wearing out.

Oh and BOO! I'm on every forum.

haha I noticed that. I'll have to take the boost/vac guage out of the msp and throw it on the truck if I ever get it started adn running agian.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by StealthWyvern
air and fuel filter replaced less then 1k ago.
Check at least two plug wires to be sure your getting spark. Pull a plug and be sure your getting fuel, smell the plug you'll know if your getting fuel. Spark and fuel will get you plenty of air, air will be the least of your issues as long as it's not running.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Check at least two plug wires to be sure your getting spark. Pull a plug and be sure your getting fuel, smell the plug you'll know if your getting fuel. Spark and fuel will get you plenty of air, air will be the least of your issues as long as it's not running.
I'll try starting it first thing when I get home just for ****s and giggles to see if it setting over night had any affect on it. Then I'll check the plugs and all that for fuel and spark. Its just when this happend I didnt have much time to mess with it due to my 12 hr shift was about ot start soon.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:53 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Can't start a 12 hr shift if you can't get there. Take out the plugs and check them, if there is no vac the car will have fouled the plugs from running rich. The ECU will think that your trying ot go WOT.

There are lots of reasons that it will run odd but have to check it the cheapest first.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:01 AM
orng1
Postmaster
recharge the battery on the truck or if you have a quick charger use it, you will be cranking the truck over for a while as you figure out what's wrong.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 AM
orng1
Postmaster
When these motors are well maintained almost nothing will keep them from running. I had a Ranger that I got rid of only because my neighbor was carrying stuff to the scrapper with an 86 accord. So I sold it to him. It wasn't pretty but it treated me well. I always did the maintenance on it and it ran for 20 yrs. It's still running.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:10 AM
StealthWyvern
Elder User
Can't start a 12 hr shift if you can't get there. Take out the plugs and check them, if there is no vac the car will have fouled the plugs from running rich. The ECU will think that your trying ot go WOT.

There are lots of reasons that it will run odd but have to check it the cheapest first.
Sure I can.. I just took the MSP in as its my DD.

recharge the battery on the truck or if you have a quick charger use it, you will be cranking the truck over for a while as you figure out what's wrong.
Good point, Already arranged to bum one from a friend!

When these motors are well maintained almost nothing will keep them from running. I had a Ranger that I got rid of only because my neighbor was carrying stuff to the scrapper with an 86 accord. So I sold it to him. It wasn't pretty but it treated me well. I always did the maintenance on it and it ran for 20 yrs. It's still running.
Yeah from what I understand the 302's arn't the most poweful thing on the block but they are pretty stout in terms of reliability.

Edit: I did replace a few vac lines earlier last year, Just need to replace the ones in the back still. Those could still be the factory ones for all I know.

Quick Reply: Just curious