1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

paint scheme???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
fish-albuq
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question paint scheme???????

went to buy my paint today and didnt because i realized i needed to put a little more thought into the color and scheme of the truck. so many options and want to get it right. the truck isnt stock so do i go radical or keep it plain and simple?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
so many choices!!!.. Frustrating ain't it!?
(don't follow my lead)

sam

Old 02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
Having been a professional painter for quite a few years, I would advise you to think about how you want to use your truck. I painted quite a few radical paint jobs that turn the vehicle into a garage queen. The owners are afraid to drive them everyday because of all the little things that can happen, door dings, chips,etc... Custom paint work is quite a bit more difficult to repair than a single stage or basecoat clearcoat job. And if there are other painters on this site I'm sure that you will get a variety of opinions.
Also depends on what you consider to be radical, candy, mutli-color, blends or fades, panel painting, basic tutone, flames, etc..
My present build will get a coat of suede and I'm going to drive it for a while and just enjoy driving it.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Drewski 2
Having been a professional painter for quite a few years, I would advise you to think about how you want to use your truck. I painted quite a few radical paint jobs that turn the vehicle into a garage queen. The owners are afraid to drive them everyday because of all the little things that can happen, door dings, chips,etc... Custom paint work is quite a bit more difficult to repair than a single stage or basecoat clearcoat job. ...
yep, happened to me!

Sam

Old 02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts
I hate say it but I've owned a lot of cars that really were not a lot of fun because I constantly worried about the paint being damaged or something happening to the car, or heaven forbid getting caught in the rain and it got dirty. Some of the cars and trucks that were the most fun to own were covered in primer spots.
I didn't worry about where I parked them and I must say I drove them like they were stolen.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put on a blindfold, spin the color wheel and then just see what your finger lands on. Going for a two tone, spin again.....Yes it is that complicated, I have finally decided on a color scheme and I been pondering this issue for a year and a half.

Can't decide on a color, get a chameleon or color changer type paint.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2009, 04:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Get a box of crayons and go at it:

Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The best bet is the "KISS" method.
There were four paint schemes afford by FoMoCo for the majority of the years for trucks.

1. One overall colour
2. Two Tone, Colour/White/Colour
3. Two Tone, w/ just the Cap of the Cab painted White
4. Two Tone, w/ the upper portion of the Cab painted White, from the bottom of the Windscreen up.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Kusto
Put on a blindfold, spin the color wheel and then just see what your finger lands on. Going for a two tone, spin again.....Yes it is that complicated, I have finally decided on a color scheme and I been pondering this issue for a year and a half.

Can't decide on a color, get a chameleon or color changer type paint.

Good luck
I think the paint decided for me.. we saw it and that was it.. never mind the devilish details.. I tried a dozen other colors on sample panels.. everyone picked the green.. 9yrs from 1st sight to application

sam

Old 02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Patina rules!

Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
like this; Patina rules! (Courtesy of Google images)

Old 02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
Wade,

When I first started messing with my truck I had big plans for some great paint. While driving around town I'd see colors I liked and I'd jot down makes and models and look up paint codes. Over the years things have changed a bit, now I'm leanign towards a more traditional paint and color, nothing metallic, just a basic solid color, maybe Sheridan Blue or a couple of shades lighter.

Of course this will be years down the road. Right now I'm driving it and loving it. There's quite a bit of freedom that comes with not having to worry about where I park it. I've also toyed with maybe trying to make the front of my truck match the rear.....I don't have anything to lose....lol

Good luck with your decision
Bobby

Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
fish-albuq
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobby, ive been thinkin about it and ive about come up with the plan to go with a solid color. I might go with a pearl is about the wildest ill get. I do know it will be harder to touch up if needed but i really like pearl white. I do plan on going with some of that 3m plastic on the front and fenders to try and keep rock chips to a minimum. But i can tell you that it will be driven alot.....

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,790 Likes on 1,824 Posts
I don't drive mine daily either. My company provides me with a 2005 F-150 that pretty well optioned. So, lets see, drive my old, loud, rattle trap or sissy out and drive a new comfy truck that someone else pays the fuel bill? Not a hard decision.

Pearl white would be cool! It would really look cool out in our great desert sunshine.

Bobby

Old 02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
KGP50
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've enjoyed reading this thread. Reminds me of same kind of questions I had. I think most of us have struggled with the 'paint' question. There's a lot of wisdom here ... don't overdo it but make sure to do it to please you, no matter what. Bob Jones had the approach I used too -- took a black and white line drawing and started with the colored pencils (kinda old school with all the computer programs nowdays.) Good luck!

Quick Reply: paint scheme???????