Notices

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 09:26 PM
mallard
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

Looking to buy and install remote starter on 2002 4x4 eb expediton. Any advice on product, tips, and how hard this is to do by myself would be apprecaited.
Thanks
Khamil@lotsatl.com

Old 10-31-2002, 09:35 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Remote Starter

yo,
The Spal reomte as worked flawlessly in our 96 Bronco since Oct 97 when we had it installed by a local truck customizer.

I should have done it myself, but it was a B day gift.

Spal's model is pretty good for the Ford transponder set-up;
http://www.spal-usa.com/html/dampframe.htm

AMENITY Ford PATS Bypass Kit (PKF)

most important is to use high qual. connectors and have the wiring diagram on-hand for your vehicle to confirm the remore start instructional manual.

The remote is really nice; esp on hot days besides winters!

Old 10-31-2002, 09:54 PM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Starter

I have a Bulldog brand remote starter in my closet. It was given to me as a present a couple years ago but I cant use it cause I got a diesel. It needs a timer to delay the starter to allow the glow plugs time to do their job.
Anyway, I was reading through the instructions and it seems pretty easy as long as you were to take your time and read through the instructions good.

Old 11-01-2002, 06:17 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote Starter

I run the bulldog in my 01 SD, it was cheap and took me about 1hr to install. The only problem with the kit was that I had to buy the power lock relays extra, which pi$#ed me off because the package said it came with it. It did, just not for Ford's type C power locks, they are different from Gm's and others.
But anyhow, it has worked perfectly so far, little over a year now.

Old 11-01-2002, 12:42 PM
mallard
New User
Remote Starter

Thanks for all the help. I think I have decided to go with a Viper valet installed around $210.00 vs. buying bulldog online with all the t-harness, by-pass module and transpoder key. Will cost about $50.00 more and lifetime warranty on product and installation. Bulldog has a few extras like temp and time starts but really dont need that.
Have tried similar installations that only require an hour to find out im missing a peice or something doesnt work just right. Figure it want cut into my saturday hunting either. .
Thanks

Old 11-08-2002, 06:28 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Remote Starter

yo,
Ok dude!

Also, get them to put in a disable switch so you can turn the rem. st. off when servicing or having it done.

Old 11-08-2002, 06:45 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru
Remote Starter

im thinking of buying that bulldog system for my truck, it has the alarm, remote start, and remote locks. was the install difficult? does it work ok? cant beat 130 bucks.

Old 11-10-2002, 11:57 AM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Remote Starter

Sam's sells the Bulldog R114 with all the relays built in, a video, knife, tape, COOL little LED test light, zip ties, and NO ALARM BS for $50. Their website gives all the wire colors & locations to cut in.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:13 PM
bricot
Elder User
Remote Starter

Saw one made by Python, has a glow plug sensor not just a preset delay, and about 1000 foot range. I'm probably going to getting it, I'll let ya know how it goes if your interested.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:53 AM
bricot
Elder User
Remote Starter

Got the Python remote starter/keyless entry - Way cool, the glow plug sensor works great. I can fire it up with the vehicle locked up and it has the starter kill stuff so if someone broke in while it was running as soon as the pushed the brake, put it in gear or lifted the hood the truck turns off.

Another cool feature is if you want to pull up somewhere and not shut off the truck, engage the remote start with the truck running (in park), it knows its running, take the keys out, and lock it with the remote. When you come back unlock, keys in, turn to on position and drive off.

Has a 1000 ft range, I can start it from the 4th floor of my office and it is at the far end of a long parking lot. With the parking light flash units you can tell when it fires up tail lights come on, or if you needed to shut it off they flash.

It also has a programmable max run time so if you forgot about it, the truck will shut itself down, currently set for 20 minutes - can go up to 60.

Old 12-21-2002, 02:57 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Starter

I've asked this question of a number of people, and no one has the answer. When a remote start requires a key to be installed under the dash in order to "fool" the PATS system, is the PATS system now disabled? It seems to me that if a key is plugged into the system 24/7, then you have no factory anti-theft. And wouldn't that allow an experienced car thief to hot-wire the vehicle?

Old 12-22-2002, 11:31 PM
charlez
Elder User
Remote Starter

Some bypass modules require a key and some allow you to program the unit and then remove your key (don't have to buy a spare). As for security, they are wired to the starter module (at least the good ones) and is only activated when attempting a remote start. So, if a thief trys to hotwire the truck, they would also need to hotwire your bypass module. (not that hard, but they probably won't be prepared to do that and it would consume too much time).

As for purchasing a remote starter to install yourself, Ebay has a large selection. I have not owned a Bulldog, so I know nothing of the value or quality. (one thing I noticed is most only have one remote) Usually you can pick up a professional quality unit for $50-$70. I have purchased and installed 3-4 of these and am happy with the quality. (Crimestopper RS900 and UltraStart 1250M). Both of these units provide a Glowpulg input, have an active antenna and 2 remotes. The 1250M is also designed for use with Manual Transmissions.

All I can say is that this is one of my favorite addons and both of my vehicles have one.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Kraig84F150KingCab
Junior User
Remote Starter