6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

problems with the DPF Delete??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
mxfoxracer43
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with the DPF Delete??

I'm really looking into getting a spartan phalinx programer with the DPF delete, has anyone had any problems with the system so far?? Is it easy to reinstall the stock exhaust system if i need to take the truck in for warranty work??

Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
warranty will be voided. FORD is taking a hard line towards modifications on these newer trucks.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
captain_trucks
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
warranty will be voided. FORD is taking a hard line towards modifications on these newer trucks.

BS! They have no way of knowing. Switched mine back over and brought in for service, they had an idea what I was doing from me talking to the Foreman, but they could not prove it. Everything went fine.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
mxfoxracer43
New User
Originally Posted by captain_trucks
BS! They have no way of knowing. Switched mine back over and brought in for service, they had an idea what I was doing from me talking to the Foreman, but they could not prove it. Everything went fine.
but was it hard to put back on, in other words do you have to "cut" the old system out to install the new one? or is it a complete bolt-off bolt-on system?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 PM
captain_trucks
Senior User
Takes an hour to hour and a half each way and is all bolt on.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
mxfoxracer43
New User
sweet thanks for the help, and also is the DPF modual to turn the regeneration off just a plug in?

Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
Last post here, but I have to add. FORD is not a bunch of dummies. I would like to have better MPG.

Question for the bolt on, bolt off guys. Did you ever change a lawn mower blade? Not to hard to see where it was bolted. PUT your muffler back on!

Yeah, you can get in someone's face and scream. We have all done it. But when they say, your bill is $ XXXX.XX, or you don't get the truck, then what.

When I had my Venturi fixed and the latest update, there was a poster on the window, clearly said the warranty is deleted for engine/exhaust mods.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by rmosso1
Last post here, but I have to add. FORD is not a bunch of dummies. I would like to have better MPG.

Question for the bolt on, bolt off guys. Did you ever change a lawn mower blade? Not to hard to see where it was bolted. PUT your muffler back on!

Yeah, you can get in someone's face and scream. We have all done it. But when they say, your bill is $ XXXX.XX, or you don't get the truck, then what.

When I had my Venturi fixed and the latest update, there was a poster on the window, clearly said the warranty is deleted for engine/exhaust mods.
I feel vindicated. Thanks rmosso1.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
All the voided warranty talk is DEALER specific and if you have a good dealer around you then you'll be better off then others. I'm not saying they won't void your warranty if they catch you but they may turn a blind eye if they are cool. I took my truck into my dealer with the exhaust and tuner on and they said they would not say a word but that I should be careful if I decide to head into another dealer (which I won't). They can flag your VIN # in the system if they choose to and then every dealer will know what you have done.

I dropped the entire exhaust and put in the new one in an hour and a half. My only big recommendations are to take the factory hangers off and then pull the rubber mounts off of them on the floor. I had heard the same from a few other guys and when I did it I could see why. There are only 3 small bolts holding each mount on and they are way easier to deal with on the ground then when they are hanging on the truck. Then place the mounts on the new exhaust before you put it up and re-attach the hangers then. I am quite sure if you followed the same procedure swapping back to factory exhaust would take roughly 2 hours, because they never go back in as fast as they come out. Also buy a spare EGT sensor from the dealer cause the factory ones are a REAL pain to get out. I luckily fought and got mine out in 10mins but have heard of other guys taking 30-45min just for the one sensor and most of them end up breaking them in the end, I think they are only $20 to buy anyways. As for the plug to turn the regen off, there is no plug as that all happens in the motor. There is simply a plug for the sensor that tells the engine when it's time to dump in some extra fuel and burn off the soot build up. Also if you haven't looked already you'll be shocked at the size of that DPF, it's a big ugly beast to say the least.

I've been running the exhaust, tuner and Cold air intake for around 5000km and haven't had a single problem or a single code thrown. I would HIGHLY recommend the flo-pro exhaust and the S&B cold air intake but best of luck with what ever you choose to go with.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I agree with Brandon D! He is happy with his mods. I am happy with my stock truck. Once they put your VIN number into their computer, it reminds me of a song: QUE SARAH, SARAH, what ever will be will be.

I am not selling trucks. We all have a right to express our opinions. I would like to get a dealer's opinion. I would ask any dealer: WILL YOU SACRIFICE YOUR franchise in 2009 to protect a customer who has violated the exact terms specified in your customer's new truck warranty?

Then, I would ask, are you one of the 1,000 Ford dealers to be cancelled in 2010?

Enough,

Old 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
caprang
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P167F Non-OEM Calibration Detected TCM REFER to Section 307-01 (diesel engine only).

This doesnt show up as a DTC but if they look beyond DTC's ITS IN THERE!!!! It also stores the number of times the PCM has been flashed. If it doesnt match OASIS then get your wallet out.

Im not a tuner basher at all but trust me when I tell you its in there. With that said - if you go in for a radiator replacement the tech isnt going to look beyond the DTC's. However if you go in for any type of cab off repair then expect them to take a peek. Yeah some dealers will be cool about it but dont mistake their loyalty between you and Ford Motor. If you are in for a major repair Ford Motor will not pay the dealer for the warranty work until all old parts have been sent to the engineering lab and the PCM is either completely diagnosed or even removed and sent to Ford.

My local dealer was not paid for replacing my power mirror because engineering found nothing wrong with it. That was just a mirror!! Imagine a whole engine.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:56 PM
captain_trucks
Senior User
Well, I've been on the other end before. Our Warranty states our filters have to be used during the warranty period or Warranty is terminated. We can state that all we want, but when a Judge looks you in the eye and tells you to prove the aftermarket filter caused the failure, we pay. With the judicial system being as liberal as it is, the consumer wins that battle every time. We as mfg. try to persuade the consumer by saying trying to steer them in different directions, but most of it is scare tactics. If the tuner or delete pipe can be proven to cause the specific failure you are going to pay. We have never won that one.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:11 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
No comparison. A filter as compared to modifying a mandated EPA system where there is a posted $35,000. fine for either the truck owner or dealership. No judge that liberal. I am starting to think this post is a forum for sales, which I thought not allowed.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM
captain_trucks
Senior User
An EPA fine, and a warranty are two seperate entities. As far as sales, unless you are looking to buy a piece of construction equipment, I can do you no good. Personally, I would like to see the EPA start to live in the real world. The next batch of emissions, on or off road is copletely rediculous. When a company who has been building over the road truck engines for many, many years gives up because the emmision controls and programming are to expensive, there is a serious problem, and no I do not work for CAT. Until the people stand up and say enough they are going to continue to run wild. This is just my opinion and I know not many agree.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 AM
rmosso1
Posting Guru
I don't want to be wordy:
Fact: It is a FEDERAL law, DON'T mess with the exhaust system on a 6.4 engine.

Off topic: I did a little more checking. PACCAR ENGINES are going to be put in PACCAR trucks (aka Peterbilts & Kenworths) starting 2010. CATERPILLAR's biggest market for their over the road engines was, yep, PACCAR trucks.

Caterpillar did stand up to good old AMERICAN greed. NO SALES, no engines no more.

Quick Reply: problems with the DPF Delete??