1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

rewiring aux electronics

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 08:15 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
rewiring aux electronics

So i have never wanted to use the stock truck wires to run all my after market stuff; raido, screen, PS2, CD changer, power inverter, hand held spot light, strobes, CB radio, off road lights. so i bought a new fuse box and some relays. went to work and this is what came of it all:

sorry about all the pictures in one post...

Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM
justiz00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice looking pickup. That is quite a bit of wiring. Looks to be in order. Props for not 1/2 assing it like I have seen others do.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice work, thanks for sharing

Old 02-08-2009, 12:38 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
well it was half done before and it was killing me so i redid it.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
I was wondering, I can see you did a great job, Mind sharing a parts list and maybe a wiring Dia. Id be intrested in how you approched some items and solved them.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 AM
shift1313
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow thats a good bit of stuff you stuck in there.

I have 3 comments for you though and dont take these the wrong way.

The battery hold down looks pretty close to your front battery + lead. If anything ever shifted that could be bad news for you. I would either stick some rubber trim on the edge of it or something there just in case.

All the electrical tape under the hood. With all that stuff I would consider redoing it with shrink wrap. At the very least some higher temp mastic tape. That Etape wont last.

On your interior connectors. Those crimp only connections are prone to failure. I would remove those plastic coverings, crimp and solder all connections then shrink wrap.

Very cool work i must say though and like i said i just wanted to point those things out. I work in transportation research and design/fab test equipment so ive instrumented hundreds of vehicles and I know whats prone to failure.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
shift1313
Elder User
sorry man one more comment. put a grommet in the fire wall where your wires run through

Old 02-08-2009, 12:57 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by shift1313
wow thats a good bit of stuff you stuck in there.

I have 3 comments for you though and dont take these the wrong way.

The battery hold down looks pretty close to your front battery + lead. If anything ever shifted that could be bad news for you. I would either stick some rubber trim on the edge of it or something there just in case.

All the electrical tape under the hood. With all that stuff I would consider redoing it with shrink wrap. At the very least some higher temp mastic tape. That Etape wont last.

On your interior connectors. Those crimp only connections are prone to failure. I would remove those plastic coverings, crimp and solder all connections then shrink wrap.

Very cool work i must say though and like i said i just wanted to point those things out. I work in transportation research and design/fab test equipment so ive instrumented hundreds of vehicles and I know whats prone to failure.
the battery hold down is only close to the - of each battery, but i am trying to come up with a way to make sure that doesnt happen. i agree with all of that, and that is why i said here or in my other thread that it is better but not 100% right...
Originally Posted by shift1313
sorry man one more comment. put a grommet in the fire wall where your wires run through
its funny you say that, as i took the picture i noticed i forgot to put them in and did put them in after i took the picture.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 PM
shift1313
Elder User
after you said that about the battery posts i went back and looked and sure enough i wasnt paying attention i saw the red line and just thought +

what did you make that center "console" out of?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:24 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
first i should say i didnt make it, but it is MDF wood with some fiber glass around the radio and screen to give it some curves. under it there is a cross board that is bolted down to the floor and the radio is secured to the dash just to keep it from moving around, and then on each side there are some pannels so you can get behind there and work on the stuff.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM
shift1313
Elder User
its pretty neat. Is there a lot of wasted space back there then?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
not so much wasted space, there is the power inverter, screen interface box, CD changer interface box, radio and all the wires, plus there is nothing else to use the space for...

Old 02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
dang i thought that atlest one person would ask where my heater is, or something to that effect....

also anyone know if the starter solinoid will hold up being "turned on" more then just when starting the truck, and if it wont any sugestions on what to use. what it is being used for is a switch for the items that i want to be on only when the truck is on, with out having to use much of the stock wireing. the green wire that conects to the solinoid comes from the stock fuse box off of one of the 2 extra plugs in there...

Old 02-09-2009, 06:02 AM
justiz00
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may be able to locate a 12v solenoid out of a golfcart (of similar voltage) that is rated for continous use.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Its ok for that use, I use them in Boats that way all the time

Quick Reply: rewiring aux electronics