Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford Expy vs Chev Tahoe/Suburban vs whatever else

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Cudighi
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Expy vs Chev Tahoe/Suburban vs whatever else

Here's my sob story. I was a Chevy guy for years. Then a Ford guy (well one awesome truck) then a Dodge guy, which is where I'm at now. I have a Grand Caravan, a Ram 1500 and a Jeep Cherokee.

The Caravan is giving me headaches to the tune of a new computer. This thing just went over 100k and it's slowing sinking. Not just the computer but "stuff" over the last 6 months. I'm not to sold on it anymore. Anyway...

I'm in the market for a vehicle. I'm through with Dodge, and not only because of the van. Looking at the Tahoe/Suburban, Expedition, whatever else there is, size. I have two teenagers, a dog, and the two of us. It'd be used for the wife back and forth to work but it'd also be the traveling rig so comfort is a plus. We load the van up with gear when skiing, camping (along with the truck), that kind of thing. It's nice to remove the seats if need be so the new one can have three rows but the last row has to be able to be removable.

I have the truck to tow with and I use the Heep for back and forth to my work.

Any thoughts? I got some great feedback on the Expy forum here at FTE about them but have any of you compared them head to head?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Here is a review of the two. Its a couple years old but I don't think the models changed much.
2007 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LTZ vs. 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited - Full-Size SUV Comparison & Review - Truck Trend

May also want to look at the Toyota Sequoia also.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Though I'm not a chevy guy, I prefer the GM SUV's. They look better IMo, and have more powerful engines. I f I was to buy a full size suv, it would probably be a Yukon sicne ford no longer makes teh excursion.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Cudighi
Senior User
They still make the Expedition though don't they? Off to the web to research.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
those Expy's are really nice...

cant hurt to go test drive one... i'd have one over a similar GM product for sure...

the interior build quality on the Expy's actually seems better then a similar lvl F150

Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So what are you buying new or used? Used gives you LOTS of choices!

New, not so many but some tremendous deals!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:13 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
well, not to bash the GM vehicles, but there is an awful lot of plastic in them.
i have seen GM's that have gotten hit, and they fell apart.
the Expedition on the other hand, is almost all metal. and we have a member here that can attest to the strength of the ex, after he got broadsided by a loaded semi truck. there was not a straight piece of metal on that poor Expedition, but he walked away from the hit.

and if you look at what is left of the ex, you will swear that no one could have lived through the accident.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeh Im thinking an Expy would be a great choice. For realibility I think hands down Ford would be the best choice. Chevies are problematic. A buddy off mine has 2003 2500 HD truck. Which has left him stranded so many times its not even funny. Just stops an cant get it started again. Some stupid electrical problem which nobody can find. An wouldnt you know it after an hour it starts again. That great GM feeling. Yeh right

Old 02-06-2009, 09:22 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
May want to test drive each and see which one you like better.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
well, not to bash the GM vehicles, but there is an awful lot of plastic in them.
i have seen GM's that have gotten hit, and they fell apart.
the Expedition on the other hand, is almost all metal. and we have a member here that can attest to the strength of the ex, after he got broadsided by a loaded semi truck. there was not a straight piece of metal on that poor Expedition, but he walked away from the hit.

and if you look at what is left of the ex, you will swear that no one could have lived through the accident.
That would be me, and I did walk away with only 2 broken ribs. Not only that but I was able to extradite myself out of the vehicle even before the people that witnessed it could get their cars parked and up to where I was..

To give you a little more about it, Both me and the semi where traveling 60mph approx when he hit the passengers door. The semi was actually pulled sideways by the impact and hit hard enough to total a 2007 frieghtliner by twisting the frame and breaking the cab off of it. The passengers door of the expy was embedded onto the tow hooks so they had to pry it off before they could tow the truck away.

Here is a couple pics of it, as you can see I did end up on the roof.

Personally those pictures are the best praise I can give the vehicle, but I want to add we used it to take a 2400 mile trip the year before and was very comfortable and plenty of room as well as I had used it to tow my race truck when my F250 was down for a couple weeks and it towed it with ease.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:04 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
If you're thinking of buing a large SUV of any kind, buy it used. There are tons available and many were repossessed because the original buyers were very upside down in them. The GM SUVs are far more available and are good vehicles. If you find one you like on a lot or from a private owner, don't consider their asking price but make an offer of what it is worth to you. You better be prepared to buy it because you might have your offer accepted.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 AM
hofuf
Elder User
I would recommend a used (duh, they don't make them any more) Excursion. We've had one for 4 years now and you can absolutely do anything with them. They are rock solid.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM
hotroddually
Posting Guru
Wow monserbaby, that ex looks very bad. i can't imagine a person walking away from that wreck. i know i feel better knowing my wife is now driving her 2008 escape instead of her little firefly. its always better to have the bigger vehicle when it comes to your safety. we bought the escape for a bit bigger vehicle, and still have good fuel economy. they have good safety features, and are pretty roomy inside. we did have a very small car before, so for us the little escape was a big upgrade in all aspects. my wife Heather really loves her escape. Cudighi, if you dont NEED a big suv they are a great little truck. next size up would be the explorer they have an optional v8.