Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford Ranger,Toyota Tacoma,Chevy Colorado?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger,Toyota Tacoma,Chevy Colorado?

Hi everyone!Need your information guys,which one is better for daily drive and some construction work?Thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford Ranger and the Taco are tried and true. The Colorado has more options, from what I've seen. I'm not talking about leather seats or power locks. I mean options as in Off Road Suspension, optional 5.3L V8, lockers, limited slips.. Stuff like that.

For me, personally, it's between the better looking and tried Ranger and the better equiped Colorado.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:05 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
And one more question,which truck have locking diff.?Thanks.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:10 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Ford Ranger and the Taco are tried and true. The Colorado has more options, from what I've seen. I'm not talking about leather seats or power locks. I mean options as in Off Road Suspension, optional 5.3L V8, lockers, limited slips.. Stuff like that.

For me, personally, it's between the better looking and tried Ranger and the better equiped Colorado.
6CylBill thank you for your answer,so Chevy is better in Off Road,and they have locking diff.?

Old 01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FordF350Superduty
6CylBill thank you for your answer,so Chevy is better in Off Road,and they have locking diff.?
I don't have any experience with any of these trucks. The most I've done is test drove a Ford Ranger. I loved it. I would buy the Ranger. This is just me personally. I never said the Colorado is better off road. A lot with how a vehicle handles has to do with the driver.

I believe the Colorado has an optional locker - and now the 5.3L V8. That one will sell, I believe.

Good night, God bless. I'm out

Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 PM
FordF350Superduty
Senior User
who know a Toyota and Chevy forum site like this FTE?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
personaly i think the Colorado feels and looks incredibly cheap/ and WAY outdated..

i wouldnt own one of those if it were the only truck option... i'd use a car.. hahahah..

Old 01-04-2009, 08:25 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life
personaly i think the Colorado feels and looks incredibly cheap/ and WAY outdated..

i wouldnt own one of those if it were the only truck option... i'd use a car.. hahahah..
I'm so disgusted with modern trucks, you have no idea. I checked out the new F150s last night. They felt cheap to me. The front plastic bars going across the grill felt like they were going to break off in my hands!

The Ranger I checked out felt pretty solid though.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordfanatic4life

Speaking of outdated, the underlying ranger platform has been pretty much the same since 1983. Just changed the front suspension. Hell, a 2008 Ranger has the same towing and payload as an 83.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
im not saying the Ranger dont need replacing..

but at least Ford hasnt redesigned the Ranger and have it come out like the Colorado.

it feels just as poorly made/assembled inside and out as the S10 it replaced..

Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 AM
less
Posting Guru
My son has a new 2008 Chevy Colorado. He has the Z71 off road suspension, 2 WD with the locking axle (I believe it's an Eaton G80 which if it is, has been tried and true in GMs for years) and in addition has an electronic traction control, which I think is a combination of engine computer management and brake application. Seems to work fine in the snow. But like most pickups you need to add weight to the bed for winter conditions. Our neighbour who has a Ranger recommended 400 lbs be added to the bed (sand bags in glad bags) to aid traction. That's what we did, use the same extra weight as his Ranger and it works well in the Colorado.

The Z71 off road suspension is available both in the 4wd and the 2wd and includes tow hooks, skid plate in 4wd, heavy duty shocks, suspension components and 265/75-15 tires.

If you enter traction limited construction sites often, I would recommend 4WD no matter what your choice of vehicle.

He has the 5 cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, 3.7 liter engine, which is rated at 242 hp / 242 lbs. ft. of torque. Power seems quite good.
This engine is in the same GM engine series which is strictly used in trucks and includes the 2.9 liter 4 (185 hp), the 3.7 liter 5 and the 4.2 liter (291 HP) six. This engine has won awards for design.

The 4.2 is in the TrailBlazer. The 2.9 and 3.7 are available in the Colorado. A new option this year, for the Colorado, is the 300 hp, 5.3 liter V8 which also features displacement on demand which returns excellent highway mileage for an engine of this size/power, as long as it's not booted too much...lot's of temptation with 300 hp.

The Colorado is well tested, being produced since 2004...that would be 5 years now. It's quite a modern truck, it seems bigger (mid size) than the Ranger which seems more compact. I'm a big guy (6'3" 230 lbs) and I find the Colorado fits me well.

As far as quality concerns regarding the Colorado....so far my son has experienced no difficulties , no quality issues at all and has not had to take the truck back to the dealer, except for an oil change. No rattles, nothing loose, all components work well as they should. Based on the fact that we have ownership experience with this truck I have to say everything appears to be well built and assembled.

We looked at the Ranger and I like the Ranger, good, solid truck,the 2.3 4 cyl. and the 4 liter V6 are the engines to go with, I've heard.

It's a bit dated, but it does the job. Our neighbour has one, early '90's 2.3 liter, 5 speed, high miles and he's been happy with it. I've ridden in it and it seems to be an excellent truck. I'm impressed with the Ranger, based on my limited experience.

As far as the Toyota Tacoma goes, it's also a good truck with a fine reputation. A work colleague has one and he's very happy with it.

I think they're all good, although you may want to stay with the 5 cyl. or V8 in the Colorado, 4 liter V6 in the Ranger and the 3.5 liter V6 in the Toyota. I'm thinking of the extra power, but you will know your needs best.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:41 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Hello Less! Thanks for proving my point.

This is what I was talking about. Try getting those options in a Ranger. This isn't to say I wouldn't buy a Ranger - I've had my heart set on one for a very long time. I'm the kind of guy who would love to have 4x4 but doesn't want the worry of an added axle. I like a capable 4x2. Ford doesn't offer a locking axle in their Ranger and their 3.0L V6 has the same amount of power (actually it's less) than the Colorado's 4-cyl.

Come on Ford, step it up please.

Originally Posted by less
My son has a new 2008 Chevy Colorado. He has the Z71 off road suspension, 2 WD with the locking axle (I believe it's an Eaton G80 which if it is, has been tried and true in GMs for years) and in addition has an electronic traction control, which I think is a combination of engine computer management and brake application. Seems to work fine in the snow. But like most pickups you need to add weight to the bed for winter conditions. Our neighbour who has a Ranger recommended 400 lbs be added to the bed (sand bags in glad bags) to aid traction. That's what we did, use the same extra weight as his Ranger and it works well in the Colorado.

The Z71 off road suspension is available both in the 4wd and the 2wd and includes tow hooks, skid plate in 4wd, heavy duty shocks, suspension components and 265/75-15 tires.

If you enter traction limited construction sites often, I would recommend 4WD no matter what your choice of vehicle.

He has the 5 cylinder DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder, 3.7 liter engine, which is rated at 242 hp / 242 lbs. ft. of torque. Power seems quite good.
This engine is in the same GM engine series which is strictly used in trucks and includes the 2.9 liter 4 (185 hp), the 3.7 liter 5 and the 4.2 liter (291 HP) six. This engine has won awards for design.

The 4.2 is in the TrailBlazer. The 2.9 and 3.7 are available in the Colorado. A new option this year, for the Colorado, is the 300 hp, 5.3 liter V8 which also features displacement on demand which returns excellent highway mileage for an engine of this size/power, as long as it's not booted too much...lot's of temptation with 300 hp.

The Colorado is well tested, being produced since 2004...that would be 5 years now. It's quite a modern truck, it seems bigger (mid size) than the Ranger which seems more compact. I'm a big guy (6'3" 230 lbs) and I find the Colorado fits me well.

As far as quality concerns regarding the Colorado....so far my son has experienced no difficulties , no quality issues at all and has not had to take the truck back to the dealer, except for an oil change. No rattles, nothing loose, all components work well as they should. Based on the fact that we have ownership experience with this truck I have to say everything appears to be well built and assembled.

We looked at the Ranger and I like the Ranger, good, solid truck,the 2.3 4 cyl. and the 4 liter V6 are the engines to go with, I've heard.

It's a bit dated, but it does the job. Our neighbour has one, early '90's 2.3 liter, 5 speed, high miles and he's been happy with it. I've ridden in it and it seems to be an excellent truck. I'm impressed with the Ranger, based on my limited experience.

As far as the Toyota Tacoma goes, it's also a good truck with a fine reputation. A work colleague has one and he's very happy with it.

I think they're all good, although you may want to stay with the 5 cyl. or V8 in the Colorado, 4 liter V6 in the Ranger and the 3.5 liter V6 in the Toyota. I'm thinking of the extra power, but you will know your needs best.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Depends what configuration your looking at. Have friends with the tacoma and they like them and they have been reliable. I would like a 2wd reg cab with the 4cyl and in that configuration I give the tacoma the nod mainly because of the 2.7l I4 which outpowers the Ford I4 and 3.0l V6. I know a guy who got rid of his Chevy van and bought the Isuzu equivelent of the colorodo/canyon and hated it, especially the poor fuel economy. Didn't even have it a month before he got rid of it.

IMO once you get past a bare bones 2wd reg cab these little trucks are way overpriced. Was looking at a decent potioned XLT SC 4.0l Ranger last weekend at Cabelas. Price tag was a little under $27k, which was friggin nuts IMO.

For the $$$ you can pick up a used 2wd ranger, throw a good posi or locker in the rear diff and have a decent truck cheap, will probably go this route for myself. That 2.7l taco is tempting but is still a little prcey for a new one. A gear/rear diff swap on a 2wd isn't that expensive.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:54 AM
less
Posting Guru
The price right now on pretty well all pickups, at least in Canada is great. My son got a real deal on his Colorado, Rangers with 5 speeds, 4 X 2, 3 liter V6's were going for under 13 grand. They were new 2008's.

Toyotas, like the FJ Cruiser (new 2008) which is based on the Tacoma, were going for 25 grand (cdn.) which is considerably less than what the dealer was trying to flog them for a year before.

It's a buyers market right now, all the manufacturers are hurting.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by less
The price right now on pretty well all pickups, at least in Canada is great. My son got a real deal on his Colorado, Rangers with 5 speeds, 4 X 2, 3 liter V6's were going for under 13 grand. They were new 2008's.

Toyotas, like the FJ Cruiser (new 2008) which is based on the Tacoma, were going for 25 grand (cdn.) which is considerably less than what the dealer was trying to flog them for a year before.

It's a buyers market right now, all the manufacturers are hurting.
I'm hurting too because I feel like I'm missing out. I planned on buying a new vehicle at this time, before the hurricain hit. Now all the dealers are giving their trucks away and I'm sitting back missing all the good deals. I'd seriously look at Ram right now. Thing is, if Ram goes under, I'm going to have a new Ram truck with no dealer to help me when something goes wrong. Have you seen how much Ram is selling their new '08 picksups? A little more than $9,000. They're ugly as sin, but heck, it's brand new. Slap on your choice of rims and cat back exhaust and you're good to go.

Quick Reply: Ford Ranger,Toyota Tacoma,Chevy Colorado?