1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2005 Plug NIGHTMARE!!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
ehaiss
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Plug NIGHTMARE!!

Well, after reading several posts from here, and reviewing the RSB on how to change plugs on my 2005 Expedition, I decided to give it a try.

2005 Expedition 5.4L 3 valve, 72k miles

Well, I got the first one out without much issue. Definately harder than a typical change, but adding the penetraiting oil was a big help.

Second one started well, and was acting like the first. Upon removal, it was only the top of the plug. the shield and the ceramic were still in the head. I put the thing back together and took it to the dealership.

They informed me they have to remove the body, or the engine to get them out.

$1,500 is the estimate!!!!

BULLS#*@!!!

Any thoughts?

Eric.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
kitty*on*22's
Senior User
$1500 is a rip! Stupid stealerships....

Not to sound ignorant but what exactly do you mean by "top of the plug"? Do you mean the little metal knobby thing, or the body? I'm confused b/c you said the ceramic was still in there, which to me is the body of the plug. If the body is still in there I would think you could still get it out. I found that using a regular socket worked better than a plug socket b/c it was easier to feel that it actually had a hold of the plug base. Does that make sense?

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM
ehaiss
Freshman User
Hey Kitty,

On the 5.4, the plug has a very long electrode and a "shield" that extends a ways below the threads into the cylinder. So the hex part of the body came out fine, but the shield and the electrode were still in there.

The problem is that I none of my local shops were very familiar with this issue. Only one seemed to understand, but didn't have the tools, and told me they had not performed the replacement before. The dealership knew immediately what was happening. The difference in the labor rate was $92 (dealer) $75 (repair shop). for the $100 - $150 difference, I would prefer to have the dealer do it.

My complaint is that Ford hasn't acknowledged this is an issue, other than to post a TSB on it. I am going to call and file a complaint just in case they decide to do something.

The sad part is that between my Taurus having tranny problems, and the Expedition having this, I may not buy another Ford. I am that furious about it.

Thanks for listening.

Eric.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
kitty*on*22's
Senior User
Ok, I understand now. It sucks that you're having all of these negative experiences with your Fords. Hopefully you can get this straightened out without having to sell your first born!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:16 PM
ronjeremy6
Senior User
i just turned 60k on my 05 EB. i think i'm just going to drive until 100k and trade up or pay the dealer to change them. the rate i drive that will be 6 years, i only put 7k on in in 2008.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Z06PSI
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
You after hearing all of this crap and other horror stories I think I will let the dealer do this. Hell I change motors in my Corvette and will do all other maintenance and repairs but this crap is not funny at all.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:45 PM
ehaiss
Freshman User
I agree with you guy's. If I would have realized the cost, I would have drove until 100 -120k miles then had the plugs changed by the dealer. At lease then you would only pay the $1500 once.

They did say that after they install the new plugs with Anti-seize, they have not had another problem.

I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Eric.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM
ehaiss
Freshman User
Here's an update: They did remove the Cab in order to access the plugs. The tech broke 7 of the 8 plugs! Because he removed the cab, he may have not followed the procedure, not sure. $1600 total.

Oh, did I mention the window regulators need to be replaced? They lubed them but it made the situation worse, so that will be another $500, and the rear wiper pivot needs to be replaced for another $250!

I am really beginning to hate Ford!

Eric.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:19 PM
SBastow
Senior User
They had to remove the cab? I heard of the new Super Duties Cabs being removed but an Expy?

Old 02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
ehaiss
Freshman User
Yep. They told me removing the cab was easier than removing the heads or the engine. They said it was common for them.

That to me, is a problem, when it's common to remove the cab to perform maintenance, something is wrong.

Eric

Old 02-05-2009, 02:26 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
The window regulators are about $130.00 each, and can be changed in about an hour if you are mechanical.

I wrote a full post with pics, but the pics were deleted. The regulators are made of cheap plastic with cables. It is designed to fail.

Whatever you do, do not try to lower your windows if there is a chance of them being frozen or stuck. The cable will jump off the spool and ruin the whole regulator.

And Ford wonders what they are in the shape they are in. I just sold my Expy after 7 months on the market.

Here is the post detailing how to change the regulator, but no pics.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...regulator.html

Old 02-05-2009, 02:38 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by ehaiss
Yep. They told me removing the cab was easier than removing the heads or the engine. They said it was common for them.Eric
They may call it "removing the cab", but in essance what they do is disconnect the driveshaft and all the engine connections and lower the engine and suspension out the bottom. Now they have some room to work on the engine.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
ehaiss
Freshman User
PDQ, in this case, they actually removed the body from the chasis. They had to reconnect everything, bleed the breaks, re fill coolant, etc.

yardbird, thank you for the post. Any idea where to get the regulators other than the dealer?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 PM
ltrager
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ehaiss
PDQ, in this case, they actually removed the body from the chasis. They had to reconnect everything, bleed the breaks, re fill coolant, etc.

yardbird, thank you for the post. Any idea where to get the regulators other than the dealer?
You have got to be kidding!!!!
To take the plugs out, they had to remove the body from the Chassis?

Old 02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 473 Likes on 313 Posts
The regulator is only available from a dealer. Check different dealers, as they seem to make up their own prices. There is a Ford dealer on the web who has some decent prices also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Plug NIGHTMARE!!