Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Is my truck right?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Mid_Mo_F100
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my truck right?

This may be a wierd question, but I am getting ready to pull the DP trigger and I want to be sure I have a solid platform to build respectable power off of. My truck is a 01 auto w/ 93xxx miles, I have owned it for a little under a year now. It is stock except for a 6637, muffler delete and gauges. My concern is that I have been very unimpressed with its power on several ocassions. It seems to run well when you mash the throttle and it makes boost(about 17 psi), but anything under full boost it is GUTLESS. Just trying to maintain a constant speed on the highway can be dificult when you come to a little hill, you have to mash the throttle to get some boost and it usually ends up kicking out of O/D in the process, it annoying. I pull a 18 foot tandem and a Kubota 4400 every once in a while(around 7000 pounds) and it towing performance is less than stellar, I shutter to say my old 150 with the 5.4 did just as well. Is what I am experiencing normal for a stock PSD, or is something wrong. Is it just the factory tuning and the DP will make it a totally different animal? The truck has been well maintained with fresh oil and all filters. I am not aware of any boost leaks but there may be a small up-pipe leak. any input is aprecated Sorry for the long post.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
This is definitely not right...I pull mountains passes at 9000' pulling a 35' 5er without working the truck hard at all. Something is wrong, I get 24 psi boost on a stock early 99. I can just set the cruise at 60 and never touch anything pulling down the highway.

Have you taken a peek at the vanes on the turbo? The DP will make it a different animal, but you have to figure out why boost is so low.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds about right. In stock form the 7.3L is a slow moving workhorse. Add a chip and it will be a totally different animal, running circles around the 5.4L.

Up-pipe leaks will also hinder performance a bit. If you do have a leak, you'll want to get that fixed sooner or later.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Sounds about right. In stock form the 7.3L is a slow moving workhorse. Add a chip and it will be a totally different animal, running circles around the 5.4L.

Up-pipe leaks will also hinder performance a bit. If you do have a leak, you'll want to get that fixed sooner or later.
Curtis, don't you think his boost is low (if that is his max boost)?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nlemerise
He's getting max boost at 17 LBS on a completely stock truck.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:50 PM
robs01f250
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17 sounds about right on a stock truck. Before i got the DP i was only running between 15 and 16 lbs. Now that i have the DP with the wastegate unplugged i can hit 29lbs in 80E.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 804 Likes on 614 Posts
My stock PSD will pull the same trailer up a hill twice as fast as my previous 460 4:10 gears with a Banks header system and cat delete.
You need to make sure that all systems are tight: Up-pipes, plenty of fuel pressure, good fresh oil in the crankcase, etc.
A LOT of lost performance can be regained simply by making sure everything is in good working order.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Nope, 17 psi is about right. Early 99 turbos boost quicker and can sometimes hit higher peak boost than 99.5-03 turbos. But the early 99's are smaller and at higher boost pressures they typically get higher EGT's.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:46 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
...Sounds about right. In stock form the 7.3L is a slow moving workhorse...
Well when bone stock and towing my 14K 5er my early 99 was definitely "slow moving" but I'm not sure I'd call it a "workhorse"!

...Nope, 17 psi is about right. Early 99 turbos boost quicker and can sometimes hit higher peak boost than 99.5-03 turbos. But the early 99's are smaller and at higher boost pressures they typically get higher EGT's...
My first mod was to install gauges and 17 psi was the max I saw at WOT, but back then I didn't know about pulling the red line to see if that 17 psi was a fueling imposed limitation or if the wastegate was starting to crack open at 17 psi?

Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Mid_Mo_F100
Senior User
I have a hard time explaining my concern correctly, Like I stated, if you mash the throttle and build full boost, it pulls hard, but anything below that, it struggles. Thats why I ask this question, it seems that the power is there, but its all in the upper range of the rpm's, no low end grunt like I expected a big diesel to have. Even pulling out of my driveway and trying to get it up to speed (45-50 mph), it seems like you have to give it way to much throttle go get it up to speed without getting ran over by the crazies. I realize this is a BIG HEAVY truck and it aint no Mustang, so I dont expect it to be a race car, but there has always been something in the back of my mind that says something just isnt quite right. I had the diesel tech from the local stealership drive it one day and he said it felt fine, so maybe it all in my head!?!? Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:16 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Check the basics as everyone suggested, then call Jody and get your chip. After that you can proceed to kick yourself for not doing this sooner. I'll agree the stock autos do seem a little gutless. My wife's auto was a gutless pig compared to my stick, now that she has a chip from Tony, I may as well be riding a bicycle. Worlds of difference.

I don't know if just a muffler delete will be enough. Most go with at least a 4" turbo back exhaust, so keep an eye on those EGT's with the chip. You might also want to consider a modified valve body, or a shift kit to help the tranny.

Good to see you here at FTE Gene.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Mid_Mo_F100
Senior User
Yeah, I am going to get a 4 inch straight from MKO and the Transgo Tugger. I am still in the process of convincing my wife that these parts are way more important to our survival as a family and a nation as a whole than our mortgage payment is. She is not impressed. Thanks Guys!!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Outdrsmn801
New User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Check the basics as everyone suggested, then call Jody and get your chip. After that you can proceed to kick yourself for not doing this sooner. I'll agree the stock autos do seem a little gutless. My wife's auto was a gutless pig compared to my stick, now that she has a chip from Tony, I may as well be riding a bicycle. Worlds of difference.

I don't know if just a muffler delete will be enough. Most go with at least a 4" turbo back exhaust, so keep an eye on those EGT's with the chip. You might also want to consider a modified valve body, or a shift kit to help the tranny.

Good to see you here at FTE Gene.
Hey Chris ... Leo here. Who is Jody? I reprogrammed my 2001 F350 with a Hypertech unit years ago. When I was having recent issues, I deprogrammed the truck by turning the ignition on and off 8 times quickly. It worked but unfortunately, I cannot find my Hypertech unit anymore as I think my EX tossed it on me. Needless to say, I'm not calling her to see if she has it in my old garage sooooo ... I would like to repurchase the best solution as possible to regain power and boost (chip or programmer?). Through the AWESOME diagnosis, purchase and installation help of Pocket (Chris) I installed the bellowed international up-pipes (that was a MOTHER of a job!), rebuilt my turbo using the banks kit and their version of the pre 99.5 wheel, gutted the EBPV and also put the 6637 Air filter on (Thanks to Pete). By the way ... with the Banks wheel I am getting right between 17 and 18 pounds boost.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This be Jody: DP-Tuner

Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Adam0331
Posting Guru
I think a Dp will override whatever you have on there now.