Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 AM
c_roc16vgli
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

I already have a Powerstroke and thinking about picking up a old rough and tough diesel to play in. I found what looks to be a decent truck but am a little concerned about what the ad says and don't know much about these older 4x4 rigs. I imagine it has a D60 front end but aren't the 86 and older less desirable? king pin vs. ball joint or vice versa? I guess my biggest concern is the "replaced firewall" as stated in the ad. I haven't contaced the person about it yet just looking for some advice, input, or reccomendations about the truck. Specific things I should look for, etc...etc... Basically a what to look for when purchasing one of these trucks.

Here is a link to the ad

1986 Ford F350

Cory

Old 01-26-2009, 05:52 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Hard to tell but from the way it sits in the picture, it may be a D60 in the front. The 50 was also available in the F350 from what I've read.

These trucks had a problem with firewall cracking. A kit was available from Ford to fix the problem.

The truck looks like a good buy to me.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM
1dieselman
Elder User
Sounds like a pretty good deal. They probably had to repair the firewall around the clutch cylinder. It should have the kingpin D60. I would see how it starts cold and go from there. Maybe ask about maintenance.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:26 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also ask if he use eather to start it

Old 01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
c_roc16vgli
Freshman User
I sent the guy a long extensive e-mail asking a ton of questions. I forget which D60 is more desirable? My biggest problem is I can never make up my mind on what to do with my current cars and I always seem to find something new and different to distract me from them. I've got at least 4 projects right now more if you count my driver, cause there is always something I want to change/improve. List of projects in order of length of ownership...

71' Superbeetle
28ish rat rod... basically a collection of parts I have to put together
51' Chevy truck
86' GTI (this years racecar)

Not to mention the other cars that I seem to have inherited from roommates, friends, and family that need to be dealt with, sold or parted out... Somehow in it all I manage to work, go to school, and satisfy my girl.

Cory

p.s. Anyone want to buy any of my crap...LOL

Old 01-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Most people want the king pin D60.
Takes longer to wear it out.

Ball joint D 60's are 92 model and newer.

If you throw in 15K extra, I might take the girlfriend. LMAO
Got no use for the Chevy or VW stuff, even with extra money in the pot.

Welcome to FTE and the IDI diesel forum by the way.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:41 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by c_roc16vgli
I sent the guy a long extensive e-mail asking a ton of questions. I forget which D60 is more desirable?
It seems to me that this particular truck has been for sale for a while. You might be able to pick it up a little cheaper than what they are asking . Although that is a good price, considering the D60. I had been thinking about going to look at it, but never bit. Are you from over in that area?

There really isn't a "bad" Dana 60. A lot of the off road guys prefer the 85-91 king pin version, but I don't see much of an advantage unless you want a bolt-on high steer setup.

Jason

Old 01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
c_roc16vgli
Freshman User
I'm up in Eugene. Go down to that neck of the woods to race on the Kart track in my GTI. The local SCCA chapter holds events there. Also have friends down there. Dad grew up there and we spent a lot of time at the grandparents in Medford before grandma died and grandpa moved up here...

Oh, and I'll keep the girlfriend... maybe, she just found out she is getting layed off at the end of the school year and she is all upset... maybe I will pay you to take her off my hands.

Need an Audi, Honda or an old Valiant...? all hand me downs that are taking up space.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I see one problem with your vehicles.

To many different manufacturers.

That makes swapping and trading parts to hard.

I am going to hold firm on the 15K, hopefully that would buy me enough BC powder to make it for a year or so.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
royzell
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO, if the truck checks out good, buy it. I'd offer around $1000 and go from there.
Everything is relative, but it's not a lot of money for a decent truck.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
c_roc16vgli
Freshman User
yeah, I was thinking about the same thing if he responds to my e-mail. $1000 seems like a pretty damn good deal and if all else fails and the truck ends up being a turd, I could always use the D60 in my Stroke. Or hell, if I like the truck that much it would be nice to dump the Stroke and get rid of the payment. In reality I just use the truck for a truck, it doesn't have to be an expensive ride to do what I do with it like the Stroke has turned out to be.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:26 AM
mistakenID
Posting Guru
Is your 51 chevy a 5 window? From the time I was a kid I wanted to build a fire breathing 5 window street rod.

Last couple years though I've thought about making it a 4x4, tilt hood and stick a jacked up cummins in. Either way it'd take some frame mods.

I have to many REAL projects to get done, dream projects are good time wasters though!

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM
c_roc16vgli
Freshman User
the 51' has a funny story infact. It was a neighbors truck that just sat when I was growing up and I always wanted it. It is, however, a 3 window. Anyway, it sat and sat and sat. I joined the military and one day I got a call from my dad telling me that the truck was for sale cause the neighbor needed to pay his taxes and my dad would by it for me as long as I paid him for it. I gave him the go ahead... Well, when I got back from being overseas and out of the military I came home to find no truck. He had sold it, without even telling me. I was a little sad about this. What could I do? I hadn't ever managed to pay my dad, so it was his to sell. One day I was searching craigslist and I see the truck forsale, $950 and it came with an extra cab. Low and behold the cab it came with was a 5 window. I actually like the 3 window cabs better so I let my dad tackle the 5 window cab. He had it acid stripped, did all the body work, and sold it for $2500 in primer. Now here I am with a 3 window truck that hasn't had any attention cause I don't have the time to work on it... at least the truck came with a mouse in the door.