1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Why is the DP Tuner so much better than a Superchips tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Why is the DP Tuner so much better than a Superchips tune?

I have read tons of people raving about the DP tunes, they are probably warranted, but I wonder what makes them so much better? A friend of mine has a '00 F250 PSD and I rode with him the other day pulling a 32' gooseneck flatbed and our two 4500 offroad trail rigs. I commented to him about how great the transmission shifted, and it didn't constantly hunt in and out of OD in the mountains here in VA. Said he had the Superchips tuner with 3 tunes and this was a mild towing tune. What I'm saying is that program made that truck work awesome, I can't imagine it getting any better. Is Jody that much better? Especially since his tunes are $45 each, so that's a good bit more in the end, but I don't mind paying more if it's so good. I tried calling him but I guess they are out of town.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:05 AM
nissandoc
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its my understanding that Superchips are off the shelf tunes. Jody can tune for different mods and give you exactly what you want. There are some guys on here that have run the Superchip and are now running DP and say they wont go back.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
I just upgraded from a superchips to the DP. words cannot aptly describe the superiority of the DP.

i do remember seeing this quote awhile ago,
'stock shifts like poo, superchips shifts like poo's brother.'

The DP locks the converter and pours on the coal, and at that point you are haulin' a$$.

all my DP tunes make more power than superchips 140hp setting

Old 01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jody custom build the DP for your truck. You have to give him your trucks info for him to make the proper tunes so that they work perfectly.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
87 F-150 I6
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its like using a general antibiotic to cure and health issue, it might work, but its going to take time, but if you use the right medicine for what you got, you can cure it quicker then snoot. A Super chips or bully dog programmer has tunes on it, they will work for ANY 7.3L, but only DP and TW make specific tunes for your truck, they wont work well on another truck, that's why you get them re-burned if you have a used one. You can tell DP or TW what you have in your truck as far as mods, and they know how to tweak the programing to fully use that mod.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
joegebff
Gone Fishin for Mark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generic versus premium.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
But I have no mods, not sure if I really will aside from the 6637. I don't need any hot rod tuning. I've noticed the trend around here is to hot rod everything and add a minimum of 3 gauges (which IMO are pretty hard to look at when your driving). I'm an old farm boy from IL, we aren't in to that, and use these trucks as work horses; dad has a 7.3 with half a million trouble free miles on it. I asked him if he wanted to give it a kick in the butt, he says it's the most powerful truck he's had, leave it alone. Now I'm a city kid (not really a kid, I'm 37 now) pulling his Jeep to the trails using it as a weekend warrior. I don't care how fast I am and how much black smoke I can make. I just want to make it better as far as shifting goes, help prolong its life, and maybe add a little more *** when towing.
I'm not suggesting there's a problem with that, but I can't seem to find anyone around here with my tastes.

Maybe I should have asked my question better, for a stock truck is the DP tune still better?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
In a word, yes.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
if you email Jody at DP tuner with what you just posted here...he will make you a tune that will make you and your truck happy...but you will need to change the wheel in the turbo or learn to let up or down shift when surge happens...any time you add power and start to tow..the turbo will surge..ether let up on the go peddle or if you can down shift do it..or get a WW for around 60 bucks and stick it in...

Old 01-23-2009, 01:27 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Good idea, and I did just that. I'll just wait until he gets back to hear from him.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
he didnt answer today cause he live tunes on friday's
Monday-Thursday-8a.m.-5p.m. EST
Friday-Closed for projects and live tuning.
Closed Saturday-Sunday(emails received over a weekend will be responded to on the follow business day)

Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Think about this. Which would you think would fit better.

1. A suit for a 30yo white male.

2. A suit made with some of your measurements that you buy off shelf

3. A suit made to fit you?

Option 1: Superchips, Hyperjunk, Banks, etc, etc
Option 2: DP-Tuner chip made with your specs
Option 3: Live Tuning

Old 01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
4wydnr
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
I'm an old farm boy from IL, we aren't in to that, and use these trucks as work horses; dad has a 7.3 with half a million trouble free miles on it.
Speak for yourself! I'm a young farmboy from IL, I definetly use my truck as a workhorse. I'm slightly into tweaking my truck. I love the longevity and reliablilty of the 7.3 and wanted a little more. All I have on my truck is an intake, chip, exhaust and and upgraded trans. I wouldn't call that hot rodding, just tweaking. (I'm not trying to be a jerk I don't come across well in type, I'm just saying this farm boy from IL likes to tinker with stuff)

As far as guages go, you'll want them even if you get superchips because it can cause high egt's, especially with a stock exhaust system. After driving your truck a few miles you get the hang of when you need to watch the gauges. My truck on the 80 econo setting gets a little warm on the egts at around 70-75 WOT. The only time I look at the trans temp is when I'm pulling a trailer. And the boost is just fun to look at from time to time.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
he didnt answer today cause he live tunes on friday's
Monday-Thursday-8a.m.-5p.m. EST
Friday-Closed for projects and live tuning.
Closed Saturday-Sunday(emails received over a weekend will be responded to on the follow business day)
He's actually in Modesto right now, live tuning at Joey's place (Terminator Engineering).

Jody was in Holtville, live tuning at John Wood's through Tuesday night. The last truck he live tuned was mine!

Jody tuned my truck all day Wednesday, creating and tweaking a bunch of tunes for me, while I drove him from JW's place in SoCal to Joey's place in the Central Valley.

Stewart

Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
But I have no mods, not sure if I really will aside from the 6637. I don't need any hot rod tuning. I've noticed the trend around here is to hot rod everything and add a minimum of 3 gauges (which IMO are pretty hard to look at when your driving). I'm an old farm boy from IL, we aren't in to that, and use these trucks as work horses; dad has a 7.3 with half a million trouble free miles on it. I asked him if he wanted to give it a kick in the butt, he says it's the most powerful truck he's had, leave it alone. Now I'm a city kid (not really a kid, I'm 37 now) pulling his Jeep to the trails using it as a weekend warrior. I don't care how fast I am and how much black smoke I can make. I just want to make it better as far as shifting goes, help prolong its life, and maybe add a little more *** when towing.
I'm not suggesting there's a problem with that, but I can't seem to find anyone around here with my tastes.

Maybe I should have asked my question better, for a stock truck is the DP tune still better?
Well,see the DP will for sure give you more power,without a doubt,but he can also burn High Idle tunes for A/C in the heat,for Heat in the cold,for jumping someone or some equiptment off,decel tunes to help you while braking,he can give you tow tunes thats not ***** to the walls,but just the RIGHT one for "your"truck.You can also get a "no start" tune so if its a target,they would have trouble stealing your truck.Just my .02 worth.( and once you feel the difference,you just might want that ***** to the walls tune after all)
Schlepprock

Quick Reply: Why is the DP Tuner so much better than a Superchips tune?