Fried Trans, AGAI - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fried Trans, AGAI

Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
Posting Guru

robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fried Trans, AGAI

This past weekend I was out on Houghton Lake pulling around a 24' enclosed trailer. I stopped to unload my four-wheeler. When I went to take back off, I put it into drive but couldn't get going again because of lack of traction. So I put it into reverse and there was a huge load on the motor. Black smoke pours out of the exhaust if I put it into reverse and give it a little bit of throttle. I am pretty sure there is something screwed up with the torque converter because when I put it into park, it just about kills the motor. Neutral is just like drive. When I got back on land, I found it shifts through the gears just like it should but can't hardly stop with the motor running. The only good thing I have going for myself is that it is a Jasper trans that has a 36 month, 100,000 mile warranty. I currently have 16 months and about 16,000 miles on it. I am currently waiting for my tranny guy to get back from Mexico. He is supposed to be back tonight and in the shop tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I find out tomorrow. Anyone else have any ideas what happened or how it happened? I was actually just going about 10 mph with a tire speed of about 15 mph just before I stopped and decided to lighten the load. I have no idea.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Senior User

beer boy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
sounds exactly like the torque converter is staying in lock up, or has grenaded in a lock up like way.

but i could be electrical, id check the wiring as far as i could. or just wait until your guy gets back. maybe youll pay for another trip to mexico..lol just kidding.
hopefully its all covered by warranty.
cheers
Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
I'd play with your TC lock switch and make sure you didn't bump it, or the wires didn't get screwed up somewhere. Did you try different chip settings and stock to rule that out?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Posting Guru

robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.robinsonpowerstroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I unhooked my TC lock switch and tried different setting. Nothing would fix that. My tranny guy called me this morning and said that the drive clutch must have got too hot and basically welded it self together so it is wanting to go forward in every gear. In reverse, it wants to go forward and reverse all at the same time. He said that it shouldn't be a problem for Jasper to take care of everything. He offered me to upgrade to a so called "better" trans for $483. He said it just has a bigger TC and a shift kit. I told him I really didn't want to spend that right now since the warranty coverage doesn't reset, it just continues. I am going to look to put in an Alison eventually.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
You'll hear it MANY MANY times but for a bulletproof 4R100 tranny there are 2 known options: BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) in Arkansas or John Woods in California. You'll spend more and maybe end up with less if you go the Allison route (and you'll have to 'clearance' your floor pan too, since the Allison is physically bigger.

BTS makes sledpulling 4R100's so if he can build them to hold up to that, your pulling will be easy.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Posting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
You'll hear it MANY MANY times but for a bulletproof 4R100 tranny there are 2 known options: BTS (Brian's Truck Shop) in Arkansas or John Woods in California. You'll spend more and maybe end up with less if you go the Allison route (and you'll have to 'clearance' your floor pan too, since the Allison is physically bigger.

BTS makes sledpulling 4R100's so if he can build them to hold up to that, your pulling will be easy.
Got ya. What do the BTSs usually run for future reference?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Post Fiend

HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
I believe they are $3,900-$4,100 to start.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Posting Guru

Well thats not really that bad. Allisons are like $3500 crate. Sounds like a better choice there.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 PM

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke View Post
Well thats not really that bad. Allisons are like $3500 crate. Sounds like a better choice there.
Then you need your adapter plate.
Then the stand-alone controller to control the Allison.
Then the calibrating of the stand-alone controller for the type of driving/towing you do.
Plus the massaging of your floor pan, and modifying your crossmember.
Then you'll need to get your driveshafts shortened/lengthened & rebalanced.
And will the transfer case match up?

Then, to make it close/equal to the build of a JW or BTS you'll have to throw a bunch of billet parts at it, and get them installed.

IF the 6-speed Allison's 5th & 6th were an Overdrive and then a "Super-Overdrive" I'd consider it. But with all the above, I think Ally will cost you closer to $6,000+ when all is said and done.

Then, there's warranty. Ask around about BTS warranty.

So apples to apples, I think that Allison will cost you more. MUCH more. Your bank account though. Have fun.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Posting Guru

Ya I think I will go to the BTS for sure!
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Don't get me wrong, if the Allison that's behind the Duramax was as bulletproof as the big ones, AND I could get the gearing I wanted.... then MAYBE I'd go for it. Or if I got one for free....

Good choice on BTS my friend. Brian knows his stuff (and so does John Woods).