Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:15 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few ?s

OK so i have a 2000 f350 7.3pwsd with a bigger turbo and a 140hp chip. When i set the the chip in 140hp and get on it if i don't stay on it very long and let out of it when i put the chip back in 25hp the truck will die. is this because it needs bigger injectors or just because its starving it for fuel when the chip is up and i let out of it. It will run around 35psi of boost when i get on it.

Another question yesterday my tranny started to slip when shifting into overdrive i changed the fluid replaced with Valvoline mercon V and changed the frame mounted filter added a little lucas stop slip and today no problems. but i think the tranny shifts way to quick unless i have my foot in it it shifts to overdrive before 45mph. if i have my foot in it then it will kinda run up rpms before it shifts. is it supposed to do this?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:24 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We need more info. What turbo do you have and what chip do you have? There is a lot missing here to understand what is going on.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:45 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
More info would be helpful. Are you throwing a P1211 code? What chip are you running with the 140 hp setting, TS? Have you installed a shift kit or modified accumulator valve body to firm up the shifts? What kind of tranny temps are you running when you get on it?

You don't necessarily need bigger injectors. Either single shot injectors that use less oil, or a better HP oil output will probably fix your issue.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
the turbo is a garrett ball bearing turbo. idk wat kind of chip it is it was on the truck when i bought it it just has the little black turn **** to adjust hp levels. how would i tell what kind the chip is. the tranny temp driving is around 100 degrees it barely gets hot enough to move the needle off 100 as far as the tranny i have not done anything to it as i have only had the truck for about 3 weeks. as far as codes idk i do not have anything to show them.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:19 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Have you driven any other super duty's with the 4R100 transmission? It might be a good idea to set your truck to stock and get a feel for the tranny, then test drive a different truck to get an idea if any valve body mods have been done. For less that $100 you can install a shift kit that will firm the shifts up, but you need to have an idea if anything has been done to it yet.

The **** sounds like you've got a TS chip. DP-Tuner used to use this type of switch, and TDP still uses it. You can remove the chip and send it to Total Diesel Performance and get it reburned (and change or add tunes to it) if you want. I think the basic reburn is $150. If it happens to be Tony's chip, he'll reburn it for free. I'd suggest sending Tony (at TDP) an email or giving him a call to discuss your options on the chip. Doesn't do much good to have a chip where the truck stalls. If it is a TS chip, you'll like Tony's tunes much better anyway.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
i drove a 2001 f350 7.3 same truck as mine only it was a dually that had no mods i thought about buying before i bought this one and it shifted totally different. The rpms built up before it shifted gears it didnt just shift strait through. i was thinking of buying one of the edge evolution programers with the display and stuff so i could adjust my shift points and see temps and stuff like that. is that worth buying? do they work very good or would i be better off getting a chip that was special programed?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Stick with the custom chip. They can adjust the line pressure for you, or just go ahead and install a shift kit to firm things up. Tony's chip will run circles around the edge or any of the other off the shelf tuners. He'll factor in the turbo and any other mods you have when he writes the program.

Do you have gauges? What kind of intake and exhaust do you have? What's your level of mechanical ability? If you're not afraid to ask questions, we can walk you through just about anything you can imagine doing to your truck.

Check out this link Ford Lincoln Mercury Reprogramming Kits and watch the video for the 4R100HD2 Tugger install. The video doesn't show the whole process, but it will give you a good idea of what's involved in the process. This is something else Tony will factor in when he writes your tunes.

Jody over at DP-Tuner can do the same thing for you, but since it sounds like you already have the TS chip, Tony will be the less expensive option.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds to me like you have tunes for a modified trans. I hope it actually IS a mod'ed trans! Basically, the mod'ed VB will call for more line pressures during shifts, and will shift much faster & firmer than the stock peanut-butter shifting. This is a GOOD thing. As far as the shift points themselves, they are changed from stock to shift sooner -- keeps the engine in the torque range where it can be used.

Usually, the "stock" setting is modified a bit, so to feel what your truck actually feels like with the real stock tune, you have to pull the chip. There are several places to find out how to do that, and even a video online. Best way to see what you have is to pull it & look. I had Tony reburn a TS for me, and I LOVE it! I would bet you have a TS bases on your description, but maybe not. Need to pull it and lay eyes on it to be sure.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
i have egt boost and tranny temp guages. the intake just has a cone filter on the end of the stock tube. the exhaust is 4" from the turbo back and its strait piped. i love working on trucks so i can do quiet a bit to them. 2maro i will try to get more info on the chip type and stuff i might try to call the po and see if anything has been done to the trans.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:15 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
If the cone filter is red, it's probably a K&N. Their CAI (cold air intakes) aren't as bad, but K&N has been known for filtration issues on these trucks. They work good on the gas motors, but not as well in front of a turbo. You probably should pull the filter and inspect the intake tube for any signs of dirt or dust. If you can wipe your finger across the inside of the tube and leave a clean streak, it's time to change to a different type of filter, and probably inspect your turbo wheel for any signs of damage.

Can you give us any pictures of the intake & **** so we see what we're talking about?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:05 AM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
i got a few pics put in my album still done know how to post them on a forum i will try to get pics of the **** and a better one of the intake.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:16 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Get us some more pictures up on there I cannot see much of anything other then is it a platinum edition truck I can tell it has a different paint job to it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
i cannot get any pics uploaded right now because my phone is bien dumb lol. but i did pull the air filter off the intake tube has oil in it. untill today i never noticed how cobbled together it all was. the air sensor aint even hooked up. where do you all get the big round filter you have used when you did your air intakes?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is usually oil in there because of the PCV bull that they put back into the intake. Clean it up and check it out every once in a while, if it's coming back to soon you may have a bad turbo. It's not uncomon as the tuners can kill the turbo with having them run so much boost.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:20 PM
bigbubba87
Posting Guru
ok i finally got the pics to upload to the comp and got them put in my gallary. i did not get a chance to look at the chip and see what kind it was posted a pic of the **** too. i got bored and decided to build an air intake box and put a bigger filter on it and got rid of the k+n filter dad said i was dumb for not just putting another filter on it but if you look in my gallery you will see wat the air intake was like before i did anything. the truck runs totally diff. it is a little louder before if you reved it up you would not here the turbo whistle any now you can hear it whistle like you should. the intake is not perfect have to get some more stuff this weekend to finish it up. the air flow sensor before was not even in the tube it was just laying in the fender, i put it back in the tube like it should be. but i put quiet a few pics in my gallery

Quick Reply: A few ?s