1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Block Heater Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
RedSS454
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater Question

So in the very near future, I plan on picking up an '08 leftover F-250 SD. My father and I were talking about my purchase, and he mentioned something about having to plug the trucks in. I remember reading somewhere that alot of people don't plug the trucks in, in the colder climates.

I live in NY, and the temperature usually stays in the 20* area at it's coldest (save for the past week of low teens). Will I need to plug the rig in?

Also, I've been looking at getting a truck from the south, as they seem to have some better deals. Do these trucks come with the block heaters? I would think not if they are designed for use down in the warmer climates, but that's why I ask.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 01-18-2009, 07:03 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
What kind of engine? Any 08 is designed to start well in colder climates even without being plugged in. Most southern states trucks won't have block heaters. Block heaters can be added to almost any vehicle.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 PM
RedSS454
New User
Originally Posted by aldridgec
What kind of engine? Any 08 is designed to start well in colder climates even without being plugged in. Most southern states trucks won't have block heaters. Block heaters can be added to almost any vehicle.

Looking at the Powerstroke. And can you define "colder climate". So I would be okay without a block heater in NY?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by aldridgec
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all of the 6.4s, like the 6.0s, came with the block heater already installed. May not have the cord already attached to it but that can be easily remedied by getting one off Ebay or from the Ford or International dealer.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 PM
rgonot
Senior User
I rarely plugged in when I lived in Fredericksburg, VA but now that I am in Chicago...I recommend plugging in anytime the temp falls below 20. At least two hours before you have to start up. When I am at work it is plugged in for 10+ hours. I had to reach up behind the bumper to get the cord out the first time I went looking for it. It was tied up behind the license plate.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:13 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RedSS454
Looking at the Powerstroke. And can you define "colder climate". So I would be okay without a block heater in NY?
Personally I would say anything north of the mason/dixon. NY is pretty big....

How about anywhere that normally sees snow is a colder climate. (not counting Las Vegas and New Orleans this year!)

Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought all of the 6.4s, like the 6.0s, came with the block heater already installed. May not have the cord already attached to it but that can be easily remedied by getting one off Ebay or from the Ford or International dealer.
Maybe, I don't know. But in general, it's a north south difference. Whether it's a heater, or just a cord, to be able to plug the truck in if it was made to be sold in the south usually doesn't happen. They change it every year with the diesels it seems, so I don't bother to keep up. I know it changed 3 times in the 1 1/2 years I sold the trucks.

I'm sure the 6.4/6.0 is like the 7.3 where the block heater is different than the gas engines that go into a freeze plug.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm not sure on the 6.4. I know that all of the 6.0s had it installed when built and some shipped with the cords (i.e. the northern states, etc.) and some didn't. Our weather here is so weird during the winter, I just went ahead and ordered mine with it. I found out after the fact that what I really ordered was the cord because the heater was installed on the engine assembly line. Glad I did though. Friday morning it was -4 when I went out to work. Only about 30 miles north of the NC line and about 70 away from TN. The older I get, the more I understand the snowbirds going to FL for the winter.