Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turns over, won't start

Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 PM
jesterdog
Senior User
jesterdog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Turns over, won't start

Hey guys,
Having an intermittent problem in the last 2 weeks. Sometimes when we try to start the Ex, it cranks for a long time but won't start. after a few attempts, it fires up and runs normally, no CEL.

Please help me put together a plan of action so that I can start eliminating stuff.

Anybody had the same problem before? 2001 Excursion 2wd V-10...100k mi

Please help!!!
\
thanks

Old 01-15-2009, 07:04 AM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Listen for the fuel pump, then test for fuel pressure. Your fuel pump relay could be sticking on the first couple go arounds, try moving the relays around and see if the problem changes.

Clean the Idle Air Controller up, they need cleaning every few years any way.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 AM
jesterdog
Senior User
Originally Posted by ReAX View Post
Listen for the fuel pump, then test for fuel pressure. Your fuel pump relay could be sticking on the first couple go arounds, try moving the relays around and see if the problem changes.

Clean the Idle Air Controller up, they need cleaning every few years any way.

Thanks Bro, I'll get started on that...

Old 01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
jesterdog
Senior User
Update

I tried to start it this morning. It cranked but did not start. As it was cranking, I pushed down on the gas pedal but there was no change. I turned the key off. I turned it to on. I am pretty sure that I am hearing the fuel pump over the dinging in the dash. After about 5 seconds, I turned it to off. I repeated this about 3-4 times. Then I tried to crank it. It cranked and hit on 1 to 2 cylinders then died. I did the procedure again 3-4 times and cranked it. It fired up and ran fine. I reved it and it seems ok.

My wife says it only does it the first start of the day.

I don't know if temp affects it but it has been cold everytime it happened.

If it is a weak fuel pump. where would I hook up a fuel pressure gauge for testing?

Does Autozone rent those?

What is the fuel pressure spec?

Thanks!!!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
gt5-33
Senior User
gt5-33 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Start up

Have you tried different keys when the starting problems are occurring? Just wondering if the PATS (?) key system is working properly.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
There is a shrader (tire valve stem) valve on the fuel rails. This is a test port for fuel pressure. I would guesstimate 40-50 psi would be in the good range, anything under 40 should be a concern.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:23 PM
jesterdog
Senior User
Well, it started yesterday morning at 30 degrees no problem. So that blows the temp theory. Then later in the day, I got gas, fired it up, and 3 seconds later it died. It would crank but not start. On the fifth try, it started.

Today, the wife got stranded at the bowling alley. No starty. I just started my 4 day shift so there wasn't anything to do but call a tow truck and take it to the shop.

I'll post tomorrow when they tell me what is wrong.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM
X_archie
Junior User
X_archie is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the exact issue, drove me crazy. It was the fuel pump. Because of the electric and mechanical nature of the device, troubleshooting is sometimes counter intuitive.

If you are lucky, it won't start at the shop either. If it doesn't, go under the vehicle with a big hammer (there is a big skid plate) and pound on the tank as somebody cranks. If it starts you know it's the pump. The pumps have a way of dying slowly and it finishes off in the least convenient time.

Good luck don't forget your BFH :-)

Archie

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
jesterdog
Senior User
The shop called and said zero fuel pressure, so at least it is good and broke and won't leave me stranded. They're going to put a Motocraft pump in. It costs twice as much as the one I saw at O'reilly, but it has a 2 year warranty. You get what you pay for right?

He also said there was a recommended reflash for my '01 Excursion. I told him to go ahead and do it. I'm curious to see if it has any affect on my detonation issue.

Pump
Fuel Filter
2.5 hours labor
Reflash

I'm not going to say how much it costs, but I think you have a pretty good idea.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.
Was it under a grand $$$ ?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
X_archie
Junior User
Just barely....

Old 01-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Cardiac69
Elder User
Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.Cardiac69 has a good reputation on FTE.
I figured around there. Well, at least it is done, and hopefully done right....

Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM
X_archie
Junior User
I got a great garage around here, I trust them. It's been about a year and no issues.

Archie

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.