Sponsored by: DP Tuner

No Gear Shift

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
erik-the-viking
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Gear Shift

Hope the pros can help me out 'cause I'm at a loss for words. Posted here about a year ago after having transmission problems. I eventually had a new tranny installed ($3600). The day after the installation, I had to call the mechanic out because I couldn't get the truck into gear outside a local Home Depot. He arrived, jumped under the truck, adjusted something, then it worked fine for about six months.
About 6 weeks ago, I had the same problem. Truck wouldn't go into gear again on cold start. Warranty covered it and mechanic had it in his shop for week and a half. He opened the tranny, changed the brake switch, new cable and new shift solenoid (at least, that's what he told me). The extra work cost $550.
So last Monday, same problem. No gear shift on Cold Start. When I say cold start, I mean, after the truck has been lying in my driveway all night. I figured out how to get the truck into gear but it takes about 10 minutes every morning and annoys the neighbors.
I start/turn-off the motor about 8-9 times, pump the brake, let the motor run for 3-4 minutes then repeat the sequence and miraculously, I have shifting power again. After I arrive at work, the truck sits for 8-9 hours but gear shifts upon startup.
Anybody got any ideas of my problem?
Just a side note... My friend tells me the shift solenoid is on the gear shift stick. To disable the door chime, I followed some steps illustrated on this site which involved me accessing the wiring on the shift stick. I did this before I installed the new tranny and was wondering if disabling the door chime somehow messed with the shift solenoid thus causing me to pay for a new tranny that wasn't necessary in the first place.
Thanks for your time...

2001 F250 7.3L Lariat
Super Crew Cab
2 wheel Drive

Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
You cannot get it out of park, or you put it in drive and the truck won't move?

Old 01-10-2009, 03:00 PM
erik-the-viking
Freshman User
Dan, sorry... Should have been more specific.
I cannot get it out of Park in the mornings...

Old 01-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Do your brake lights work?
The interlock is tied into knowing that you are stepping on the brake to unlock the shift column.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Here is another trick:
In the morning before you start the truck, turn the key to the "on" position, and then turn it toward the "off" position just enough to get the dash lights to turn back off.
At that point, take it out of park, put it in neutral and start the truck.
You should be able to shift into gear from there.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:12 PM
erik-the-viking
Freshman User
Dan, I get it... If the brake lights don't work then it's the brake switch? Can't know for sure until I check the cold start tomorrow morning. Up to this point, I never thought to check the brake lights. Just so happens my friend asked me that question today too.
I'll have the wife look tomorrow while I try shift out of park.
Can the brake switch work intermittently like that?
Thanks again...

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by erik-the-viking
Dan, I get it... If the brake lights don't work then it's the brake switch? Can't know for sure until I check the cold start tomorrow morning. Up to this point, I never thought to check the brake lights. Just so happens my friend asked me that question today too.
I'll have the wife look tomorrow while I try shift out of park.
Can the brake switch work intermittently like that?
Thanks again...
They are hydraulically activated, which means that there is a diaphragm inside that switch. If there is a leak, then brake fluid will get around to the other side of the diaphragm and hold the switch open even if you step on the brake pedal. Only cure is a new switch.
They are the same design as an oil pressure switch.
If you are stuck in park, try stepping on the brakes hard, to try and force the brake light circuit closed. That would 100% confirm the problem.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
erik-the-viking
Freshman User
Need fresh ideas. I installed a new Brake switch yesterday hoping that would solve the problem but gear shift was jammed again this morning. Tech in the transmission shop is stumped too. He inspected the transmission again but found no problems. So far, new cable, new brake switch and new solenoid...
At this point in time, I'm kicking the tires looking for a fix.
Thanks

Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Here is another trick:
In the morning before you start the truck, turn the key to the "on" position, and then turn it toward the "off" position just enough to get the dash lights to turn back off.
At that point, take it out of park, put it in neutral and start the truck.
You should be able to shift into gear from there.
Can you pull it out of park using this technique with the engine off?
If not, then it pretty much nails it down to a bad parking mechanism, IMO.
If it only gives you trouble while the engine is running and the safety system is energized, then it points you to a problem with the safety system in the steering column.
It might be as simple as a failing relay that energizes whenever you step on the brake.
You should hear the lock clicking open every time you step on the brake. Perhaps trying that with the ignition on and the engine stopped so you can hear it better.
But please take this advise with a grain of salt. My truck is a stick shift so I am kind of flying blind here. Check my theory against a blue print of the design to verify.
I work on VW and Audi all day long for a living and with their automatics, that is how it works.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM
erik-the-viking
Freshman User
I seem to be narrowing down this problem now! When the gear shift is locked up in the morning, I bang the steering column pretty hard 2-3 times with my closed hand and the shift suddenly releases. Mechanic told me to purchase a shift cable solenoid that is supposed to be located in the steering column but when I went to Ford Parts department, he sold me an actuator instead. Anybody think this fix will help?
Thanks