Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

front bumper lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 05:08 PM
superaxeman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front bumper lift

I have a '94 f-150. I just lifted the body 3" and while the kit I purchased did not come with bumper mod.s it doesn't look like it would be that hard to raise the front bumper the matching 3". Any thoughts or tips out there on this subject. I've already raised the rear bumper so now the front looks out of place. Thank-you.

Old 11-18-2000, 08:14 PM
crandall
Freshman User
front bumper lift

I also have a 94 with a 2" body lift. I had taken my truck to an off road shop to have the bumper raised. You could do it at home if you have a welder. What they did was cut the bumper off with the piece of frame and bumper mount attached and welded in a 2" piece of flat stock to the frame and rewelded the bumper back on two inches higher. It looks great and has lasted me 3 years so far. I hope this helps because I know how it looks with the big gap in the bumper. One more thing, if you are going to do it yourself, try to scrap off the coating on the frame before hitting it with a torch. Good luck

Kevin

Old 12-03-2000, 05:40 PM
superaxeman
New User
front bumper lift

thx.

Old 12-17-2000, 02:06 PM
95xltmud
Senior User
front bumper lift

Hi, i have a 1995 F-150 that i have been wanting to lift for a long time now, but I really wanted to do it suspension but I never got enough money together to pull it off. So now I would like to go with a 3" body lift. Since you have installed a 3" in a '94 I figured you could tell me about the installation. I have heard that alot of wiring and linkage has to be extended in order to install a body lift. Is this true? Is it difficult to do? Also, about how long does this installation take? Thanks, and info is appreciated.
-John

Old 12-17-2000, 07:35 PM
superaxeman
New User
front bumper lift

I ended up having a shop install my body lift, it didn't take them too long and it cost me about $300(cdn.) If i would have had the time and a shop I figure I could have done it in a day.
The only thing that took a little figuring and something you should be aware was the lower rad hose had to be changed, as my kit did not come with any way to raise the rad. They actually had to fab. up a custom hose that stayed away from the motor pulleys. Apart from that and a little manipulating the shifters to keep them close to the drivers side I didn't notice them having to do anything out of the ordinary. Good-luck.

Old 12-18-2000, 03:59 AM
crandall
Freshman User
front bumper lift

John, I have a 94 with a 2" body lift and like superaxeman, I had it installed by a shop too ($350.). I had a small clearance problem with my shifter. All I really needed to do was get a larger boot. It would bind when putting it in second gear and would pop out once in a while. So i replaced the boot, and it checked good. My brake lines fit just fine, the radiator wasn't lowered, just the schroud. The shop made brackets to lower it, nothing special. Sometimes I have a problem (very small problem) filling the rear tank because the hose is just a bit twisted, not too bad though. My lower radiator hose was replaced with a universal one, (not a molded one) which works just fine. As for the front bumper. I replied to it eariler in this thread. Installation time was a day. Other than that, I am very pleased with it. Good luck to you.

Kevin

Old 12-18-2000, 01:19 PM
95xltmud
Senior User
front bumper lift

ok, thanks guys. One other question. How did you guys go about raising the rear bumper? I am looking into a body lift kit from performance accessories and the kit does not include any brackets to lift the rear bumper. I emailed them about this and they said the rear bumper wraps around the frame with bolts through it, so and raising of this bumper would have to be custom fabrication. Is there a product out there to raise the rear bumper? Also I am thinkig of adding one of those Drop center bumpers, is this going to make a difference?
-John

Old 12-18-2000, 10:59 PM
superaxeman
New User
front bumper lift

This may be a home-spun way, but it worked for me. The bumper is attached via two pieces of plate steel to the truck frame. Each plate is connected to the bumper, and to the frame with two bolts. All I did was remove the inside bolt on each plate at each end of the plate. One removed at the frame side and the other at the bumper. Then loosen the remaining bolts and pivot the bumper up with a jack. Once you have it where you want re-drill the holes through the frame and bumper where the plate holes line up. Re-install the bolts you removed, tighten the other four, and presto you are done. It took me maybe 1.5 hours by myself, and did not cost a dime. If I trash my bumper I can still replace it because unlike other "home-mods" I've seen their was no welding required. And don't forget, like Red Green always says, " if they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".
Merry Xmas.

Old 12-19-2000, 01:34 AM
crandall
Freshman User
front bumper lift

I raised my rear bumper the same way. The only other advice I could offer is to make sure you leave room for your tailgate to lower. Other than that it was pretty easy to do.

Kevin

Old 12-19-2000, 04:54 AM
crandall
Freshman User
front bumper lift