Sponsored by:

2005 Front Hitch Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:34 PM
87mh
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Front Hitch Installation

I know that this has been covered previously for other models and makes of hitches, but here is the skinny on my installation.

First - my newly acquired 2005 Limited - 4X4 with 35,000 miles.

Taking off the bumber was no real challange - 2 each 18mm frame bolts and 2 each 1/2" lower support bolts on each side and it slid forward so I could remove the bulbs and wiring harness from the fog lights.

I then slid the bumper off and moved it to a temporary storage.

I had hoped the front hitch would be here before the weekend - just didn't happen.

More when the hitch is delivered.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 PM
87mh
Senior User
Front Hitch On!!!

The instructions from etrailer said that installation time was about 1 1/2 hour - HA! Maybe for two experienced installers working together - maybe - but for one first time installer working alone - no way.

Other than the 4 hours it took to put on, the install really went fairly slick.

The front tow bars need to be removed prior to installing the hitch - the opening is not large enough to slip over the tow hooks.

The installation of the hitch bar itself is certainly a one man job - I had no trouble up to this point.

The hitch was shipped as promised (3 day delivery) for a bit under two hundred bucks.

Now, here's where the fun began - the instructions said the fog lights would have to removed - it took a couple of times "on and off" to devise a way to keep the lights.

Below is a shot of the original light mount from the back.

I thought I could just turn the mount around a gain the inch necessary to clear the new front hitch mount. Here is what a simple reversal looked like.

If you notice, there is an offset on the single bolt side of the light mount - I reversed the mount locations (right to left AND front to back), did a test fit, and found a solution.

Here is a back shot with both of the light mounts reversed and bolted in.

Instead of drilling and tapping the bottom (single) mount, I drilled two 1/8" holes in each and buttoned it down with 1/2" long rivets. Here is a shot of the hitch, bumper, and lights installed on the frame mounts.

Notice the difference from the original light position.

One of the advantages of reversing the light mounts is that the lights are now mounted slightly outboard from the original location, this allows for easier access to the hitch receiver area for changing shanks.

I like the design of this particular hitch. I wanted one that would access THROUGH the bumper instead of under it. I think the under bumper type of front hitch has interference problems with the front "breaker bar", and, even with the problems I encountered I would go this route again.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-24-2008, 08:12 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice job...

I never had the factory fogs in the first place to worry about when I had this same front receiver installed (I just had my RV shop install mine for $40) ...but your work around solution came out quite nice and if I or anyone else had/has fogs...now this solution can be used!

Enjoy and again great thinking some reps sent your way for an out of the box thinking moment!

Joe.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
87mh
Senior User
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
I never had the factory fogs in the first place to worry about when I had this same front receiver installed (I just had my RV shop install mine for $40) ...but your work around solution came out quite nice and if I or anyone else had/has fogs...now this solution can be used!
Enjoy and again great thinking some reps sent your way for an out of the box thinking moment!
Joe:

Thanks for the reps...

The Draw-Tite instructions are clear and the steps are well laid out.

Draw-Tite Front Mounted Trailer Hitch Receiver 65022 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com

Even so, a $40 install is a bargain. Had I known someone I could trust to install it for 40 bucks you can rest assured that I would not have wrestled it by myself.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Jbru167
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Plate bracket did you use?

Old 02-07-2011, 02:59 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I used the original license plate holder. I had to drill two holes through the middle of the holder and into the bumper. Here are a couple of photos.
Name:  jh818-albums-camping-picture57871-fronthitch-post2.jpg
Views: 6437
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  jh818-albums-camping-picture57870-fronthitch-post.jpg
Views: 8350
Size:  79.4 KB

Old 02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Jbru167
Senior User
That is what I was going to do. How was your install. Not sure I want to mess with it just for spare tire on long trips.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Jbru167
Senior User
front hitch with spare tire any have it?

Thinking of front hitch for spare tire anyone have this combo?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Installation was pretty straight forward. You'll need to drill 2 holes to each inside sides of the tow hooks for additional bolts. I got replacement bolts and retainers from Ford. I replied to a thread before that showed the retainers.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ews-bolts.html

I think a front spare tire may obstruct too much air flow to the radiator and trans cooler. That front hitch does block right where the trans cooler is located. I do plan on upgrading to the 6.0 cooler some day. In the meantime, I have Scangauge II to monitor the trans temp.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:54 PM
rcracerx
Senior User
Although not as stealthy I went with the Bodiak front hitch. It mounts to the factory tow hooks and goes on in about 10 minutes tops.

Rc

Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
lights on my '04

Great write-up and pics. Thanks for posting this. I just got a Curt 31114 yesterday and was trying to do the light bracket flip. My bumper and bracket are totally different and I can't make it work. I'll have to try making some custom brackets to hold the lights. If I get it worked out I'll post pics. Might be a while tho......

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
JumpinJoe
Mountain Pass

It'll fit other year Ex's, right?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:23 AM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Curt and Reese Front Receivers

Trailer Hitches, Heavy Duty Hitch, & Towing Accessories Made in America by CURT Manufacturing. for 2000-2005

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1000&catID=1075∂=6502 2 for 2000-2005

My installation has been a major pain. I ended up having to remove the lower blocker bar and move the tranny cooler to get to the drivers side bolts.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:37 PM
TheBestKindOfEX
Senior User
Limited use of front mount hitch

Now that I have installed my front hitch receiver I realize it is of limited use.

I intended to use it to haul dirt bikes on the front when I pull my travel trailer. I bought a double m/c carrier and tried to install it on the front. There is so little room where the receiver fits through the bumper, the anti-wobble brackets will not fit in there. So any accessory that I put on the front hitch will have to be one that doesn't require the bracket that snugs up the accy in the receiver. Also, with the through-bumper design, it is very high up.

Now I'm looking for a front mount hitch that comes out below the bumper. I thought there was a post in this thread where someone had installed both the thru-bumper hitch AND the below bumper hitch. Now I can't find the post.

If anyone knows where the post is please put a link here. Thanks.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:01 PM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBestKindOfEX
Now that I have installed my front hitch receiver I realize it is of limited use.

I intended to use it to haul dirt bikes on the front when I pull my travel trailer. I bought a double m/c carrier and tried to install it on the front. There is so little room where the receiver fits through the bumper, the anti-wobble brackets will not fit in there. So any accessory that I put on the front hitch will have to be one that doesn't require the bracket that snugs up the accy in the receiver. Also, with the through-bumper design, it is very high up.

Now I'm looking for a front mount hitch that comes out below the bumper. I thought there was a post in this thread where someone had installed both the thru-bumper hitch AND the below bumper hitch. Now I can't find the post.

If anyone knows where the post is please put a link here. Thanks.

I answered your PM, Bestkindof ex. To install a below bumper hitch on a 2003 and below, It is a straightforward thing using the Curt front hitch 31014

http://graphics.curthitch.biz/master..._31014_INS.pdf

If you have a 2004 of 2005, you have to retrofit your truck to fit as I did.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...tall-pics.html

Quick Reply: 2005 Front Hitch Installation