compressor trouble???

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Duke78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compressor trouble???

Just want to bounce this off of your guys. I noticed my compressor is taking a lot longer to fill up the tank so i investigated the pick ups. I have a V twin which is a 2 cylinder compressor. I checked the heat on the heads, one head was hot the other head was not. The pick was not sucking on the cooler side either, it was blowing. I'm thinking the valve in there must be hung up or broken. I'm going to start looking for exploded views of the pump, pricing on a rebuild kit and calling the company since i haven't owned it a year yet.

You guys have any clues or thoughts on this let me know...

Old 12-14-2008, 01:08 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're on the right track. You should be able to find everything you need on the manufactures website. If you still have the receipt it may still be under warranty. Don't tear it down till you check. They are really easy to rebuild.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Duke78
Senior User
I've been searching the website found replacement parts for new flaper valves and head rebuild kits, comes with full instructions with exploded views. I hope it's not something major. I'll be calling tomorrow, until i get this sorted out, however, my restoration is on hold...Damn it...

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Duke78, what is the brand of the compressor?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:19 AM
Duke78
Senior User
Campbell Hausfeld... I called them yesterday, my diagnosis was correct it is surely a bad valve. The head and valve kit is ~$25 so that's a relief, i'll be tearing into it tomorrow night, have to study for my finals tonight, and inspecting the rings also. I figure why not, if i have it apart i might as well check them out...

Cujo, good to hear from you, i've been wondering how you are making out with your project, haven't seen ya on hear in a while...

Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Duke78
Cujo, good to hear from you, i've been wondering how you are making out with your project, haven't seen ya on hear in a while...
Yeah I'm still here, but not all there :-).

With winter coming and the "Honey-do-List" I've not been able to work on my truck in a while, but I have hopes to return the garage soon. I have ordered an electric garage heater to make heating the garage a little more convenient, so I hope to be in there more often.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Duke78
Senior User
Ya i wish i had an electric heater now, i have a gas heater which means no painting in the winter. Good luck with it and when you get more pics let me know.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 PM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Sure you can paint in the winter with a gas heater. What I did with my blue-flame gas heater was too heat the garage with the heater all day and get all your prepainting prep done while the garage is warm. When it's time to paint turn off the heater and paint away while the garage is warm. After the fumes have dissipated you can restart your heater and allow your paint to cure. Not ideal, but it has worked for me in the past. I probably would not paint an entire vehicle this way, but I have done many smaller scale projects. I plan to paint my truck in late spring or early summer, but I do plan on getting a lot of sub panels primed and blocked out and reassembled on the truck, so I will be ready to paint the whole truck once the weather warms up.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Duke78
Senior User
Just an update on the compressor. I got the new parts in and finished rebuilding the heads today. The compressor runs as good as new. Ive already been blasting this morning, should be done with the frame by mid week. Time to order paint.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:43 PM
ltlvt
Freshman User
Talking compressor rebuild

I've been using a camphel hausfeild compressor for around 20 years. I bought it at TSC . I have rebuilt it 2 times . Always the same problem. First time valves came loose and ruined the piston. I bought the head kit and piston . About 4 months ago it started slinging the belt off and i took the head off and one of the valves had one screw holding it . I went to the local nut and bolt place and bought screws with allen heads . When i put it back together i lock-tited all of the screws. They seem to have a problem with the screws comming loose. The compressor has served me well but I really dream of getting a big one from Ingersol Rand or Belaire that can keep up. It does okay until i put some of my body tools like rotary sander -air file-D-A etc..No problem at all with the C-P and Ingersol Rand impact tools but when it comes to the body tools the compressor just can't keep up and i spend more time waiting than i do working. i would have already bought a compressor but the cost of running new electrical wire is almost 1/2 of what the compressor will cost me.