How to choose a Bodyshop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:33 AM
dpolland
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to choose a Bodyshop?

I hit a deer in my F250 Crew Cab, and in an attempt to not hit the driver who swerved into my lane head on, I drove off the road through thick brush. The result was body damage to the side of my truck from the deer, and brush scratches over the entire sides, front and rear. I have went to 5 body shops to get quotes. Three from friends recomendations and 2 "Preferred Shops" that my AAA Insurance provided.

The three shops that AAA suggested said that they would be required to buff out the scratches. The other three shops I went to agrred with me that even though 80-90% of the brush marks could be buffed out, the best thing to do was paint the whole truck.

After insisting to the AAA shops that they bid it to be fully painted, all of the 5 estimates came in very close in the $5500 range.

Now my concern is how do I determine who will do the best job. What type of paints and clear coats should I make sure are used. I do not want to use a shop that will use inferior products or take shortcuts.

Can you provide me with a checklist of questions that I need to have answered by the shops?

Thanks
Daryl

Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You don't mention the year of your truck, but anymore repair prices are pretty much set in stone. Can't remember the last time a quote was needed. Just my opinion but I would let a dealer do it. You can take the check and try to make money off the deal, but at least a dealer has access to the right parts, paint and easier to deal with if not satisfied.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:35 PM
dpolland
New User
It is a 2004. Thanks for the suggestion. I will get a quote from the dealer tomorrow.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
There is nothing wrong with non dealership bodyshops. I used to work in my old neighbors home shop at night with him. During the day he worked in a Ford dealership body shop. We would use the same parts and paints they were using. And I will tell you it varies from dealership to dealsership as far as paint manuf is concerend. And as for parts, they will usually try to use OEM parts either new or used, but sometimes the insurance companies would make even the dealership use aftermarket parts. It is up to the vehicle owner to fight with the insurance company if they want OEM parts.
If the ones AAA recommended tried to just say buff them out, then dont go to them for the repair, because that is probably what they will do and pocket the rest of the money (seen it done before) Pick one of the ones your friends recommended. If they had work done there or know someone that did, ask that person how the end result was. Alot of my neighbors work came from word of mouth because we always put out quality work, weather it was a resto job, or a collision job or a rusted out POS chevy work truck. We treated every vehicle like it might be a show piece someday (for the most part)

Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I agree with the above plus, check to see if their staff is ICAR certified (excellence in paint & repair work)- when my vehicles have been hit in the past, i actually drive 2 hours to an autobody repair center that is also an ICAR teaching center- the final products are incredible!!!!!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 PM
dpolland
New User
After visiting all the shops and comparing estimates, costs very close on all of them ($5500-$6000) I have chosen to use a body shop that is not my AAA insurance company's preferred shop, but rather one that was recomended by friends who have had many trucks fixed there. I also had good references for them from other shops that I have been looking into regarding add on items. They also do the local Ford dealer body work, as we are in a rural area.

The shop I have chosen will be painting the entire truck with the exception of the roof and interior bed. I am going to have a urethane bed sprayed in later. They will replace all attached items that are scratched up. They were the most detailed in listing items that will be replaced that others missed in their bids, such as the cracked grill.

They also will repair all my old dings and chips. They are I-Car certified as well.

I will deliver the truck on 4/20 and the work should be done in two weeks. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the thoughts.....it helped me decide on what direction to go.

Cheers

Old 04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
DasCheckers
Elder User
I would consider having the do the roof as well man. My truck was re-sprayed at one point and the roof wasn't. It looks bad after a couple years haha.
Post some before photos!