S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Portable GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gps

Don't think I can wait for XMASS. I'm going to wait till she takes her afternoon nap and get the GPS out of the package and play with it. If i'm carefull she'll never know. Stay tuned.
George

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Who has experience with these, I've been convinced now by my dad that I need one. I do tend to get lost on trips so it doesn't take very much to convince me that I do need one.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Gps

ORNG1 They are user friendly. My advice is to go to a Circuit City,Best Buy,Cosco etc. and play with the ones on display. Once you decide on which on (the higher the price the more options it has) you can buy it there or order it online which generally is cheaper.If you need more info let me know.
George

Old 12-14-2008, 07:51 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
For BP

I loaded the Topo Maps for All of Calif.,some of Nev. and AZ. I used the 4GB card.
I'm not sure I want to keep this unit as I put in a Trip to Salton City to see how it would work. It got me to the destination but would have me going North on the 15 and then 78 to Romona instead of 67 to Ramona and then on from there adding about 20+ miles to the trip. I guess that is how the memory is programmed. I'm going to call Garmin Tech again tomorrow and asked how I work aroung this and if I have to live with it Circuit City is getting it back.
I like the address thing but if it is going to take you there using the major HWYS instead the most direct route I'll live with my fishfinder/map unit and keep transferring it between vehicles.
BigGeo

Old 12-15-2008, 04:53 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Red face Keeping the GPS

Found a way to show the shortest route. It was there all the time. That learning curve again.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
I suspected there should be something like that. Or a way to adjust preferences for interstates.

My playing will have to wait until after Santa heads back up north.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:37 PM
bryyce62
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know with my garmin, if you go off track or take a different road, it'll re-calculate on the fly your route/destination based on where you're at.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:32 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bryyce62
I know with my garmin, if you go off track or take a different road, it'll re-calculate on the fly your route/destination based on where you're at.
If you don't know where your going then you wont get off the map route.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 PM
BigGeo
Senior User
Getting lost

Originally Posted by orng1
If you don't know where your going then you wont get off the map route.
Are you not the one who seems to get lost on trips.
The GPS I just purchased that is suppose to be for XMASS and am fooling with not only gets you there but helps you find the necessities. Gas,food,Motels ETC. I know it is something I can live without but hell why not.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:53 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigGeo
Are you not the one who seems to get lost on trips.
The GPS I just purchased that is suppose to be for XMASS and am fooling with not only gets you there but helps you find the necessities. Gas,food,Motels ETC. I know it is something I can live without but hell why not.
LOL yeah I get lost because some of the spots I get to deliver to don't have a visible address.

I went to best buy today and their displays were horible. As soon as I'd get a map the thing would start the video display and the guy couldn't really answer any real questions for me. Is there a better spot that I can mess with them? I think the Garman is out from what I saw though. I liked the display of the TOMTOM better.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:38 AM
BigGeo
Senior User
GPS Display

If you have a Wal-Mart or Circuit City near you they should have a good display. At least the ones near my house do.
Tom-Toms are okay. Put in an address you had to go to at one time that you had a hard time finding and see what it does for you. What I like about the Garmin Nuvi units is that you can add a SD card with topo maps and some even have FM traffic alerts. There are some good buys on the Internet once you figure out which one you want.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:42 AM
orng1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BigGeo
If you have a Wal-Mart or Circuit City near you they should have a good display. At least the ones near my house do.
Tom-Toms are okay. Put in an address you had to go to at one time that you had a hard time finding and see what it does for you. What I like about the Garmin Nuvi units is that you can add a SD card with topo maps and some even have FM traffic alerts. There are some good buys on the Internet once you figure out which one you want.
Yeah the hard part is finding the one that may work best for me.

I saw one that I liked by Insignia I think, which is a best buy brand. I really liked the map design over the others. It had street names from before your route which the others didn't display.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 AM
BigGeo
Senior User
TomTOM GPS

I stand corrected. Some of the TomTom units do take an SD Card. Here is a review of them.
TomTom ONE GPS Review

Old 12-17-2008, 08:29 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bpounds
So, tis the season and I'm thinking of a portable GPS for SWMBO for Christmas (thanks giva giva Steve).

I'd like to keep it under $200 and she is techno challenged so it needs to be simple.

What do you guys like or recommend?
This is scary, my wifes nick name at work (school) is swmbo and she also drives an Escape (hybrid) and is also techno challenged. On another note be careful with a suction cup mount on the windshield as it is tecnically illegal in Kali.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 PM
orng1
Postmaster
Really, illegal? That's gay.

Quick Reply: Portable GPS