1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

What's the approximate value of this BBF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Matt300ZXT
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the approximate value of this BBF?

Since you guys are Ford guys and know WAY more about the motors than myself, I figured I'd ask. Thought this might be a nice motor to go in my 66 F100 I'm getting this week.

This guy at work has a 460 his son built several years ago that he never used and he wants to sell it, since it's sitting in his basement. His son said it was a 460 block, bored .60, has a big *** cam, balanced and blueprinted. Don't know what pistons are in it, whether they're hyper, cast, or forged or whatever but I'm sure they're just as nice as everything else. It has a Weiand high rise tunnel ram intake with dual Holley 4 barrels sitting on top. It has Dove-C heads with the canted valves, and at least double valve springs. I'm not too familiar with them, but I can see the outter valve spring with that flat looking piece of metal on the inside that runs along with them, then a second spring inside of that.

Now for the bad, it's been sitting in his basement, uncovered for about 7 years, right next to the lake. No oil in the block, no spark plugs in the holes, no valve covers, no distributor installed, and no timing cover installed. So it's got a fair amount of surface rust on the outter part of the block, I have no clue about the inside. From looking down in the holes the pushrods go in, the little I could see, it didn't look too bad in there. Same with looking down in the distributor hole and the water holes on the front of the block. I have no clue about big American v8s or nothing, but I know that if I can easily get it cleaned up and put back together and running, it'd be one hell of a motor to put in the 66 F100 I'm getting this week.

What sort of pros/cons could someone tell me about this motor being bored that much, also being left out in the garage uncovered like that, etc?

Here are the pics:

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM
TEXRODDER
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a shame,looks like some one spent some cash on it at one time,I wouldnt bolt it in anything without a teardown, inspection ,revat ,etc. Without seeing the crank and cylinders it would be hard to give more than what is seen,like intake ,carbs and maybe a machineable block/heads . $200-300 tops without a pre buy teardown/inspection.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Matt300ZXT
Junior User
Yeah, I figure as it sits, the only thing worth anything is the intake and carbs, and the heads worth a little since they at least already have the upgraded springs.

If I decide to use a BBF in the truck, I'd honostly just make an offer on the intake system and the heads. That way, with buying those that could easily be reused (a little work on the heads) THEN I could see what the condition of the crank and bores are. Being that close to the lake, and that many years, I'd assume the rings are rusted to the cylinder walls, and at 60 over already, I doubt that block is worth anything other than scrap iron. I don't think he'd want me to come over and disassemble the motor for him to see what condition it's in. I do like the look of that intake though, that thing is HUGE! I had never seen one up close.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:25 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well if the inside of the engine looks anything like the outside does, then in my opinion the intake manifold is about the only thing worth anything on that engine.

Jeff

Old 11-25-2008, 06:46 PM
TEXRODDER
Freshman User
It really is a waste,someone probably spent 2k or better if all name brand parts were used and it got the machine work done he says,probably an easy 500-600 horse motor with a good ignition and tune.DAMN!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Virto
Posting Guru
If it's been sitting that long totally open and exposed...it's not going to be pretty inside.

I certainly wouldn't buy it unless I planned on breaking it down completely, as has been said.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Matt300ZXT
Junior User
Well I knew it needed to be broken down and IF it was even usable, at least some stuff replaced, so essentially rebuilt. Just didn't know if it would be worth the trouble because it already had some decent heads and the intake and carbs.

Old 11-27-2008, 01:52 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd pass on this engine at least for now. Your new 66 is going to take a lot of time and money to get it up and runnig. 460 engines and transmissions are available complete and running for less than a grand and you can always do that swap in future. They are an easy bolt in deal using 100% stock ford parts and even in stock form will move that old 66 on down the line in a hurry. Run what ya got and have fun for a while then if you are still considering an engine swap to a 385 series engine post back. IMHO!