DIY soft toneau cover.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:53 AM
the Mad Modder
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY soft toneau cover.

A couple of months ago, I decided that I wanted a bed cover for my truck(07 Ranger). I checked everywhere online, but couldn't find one that sounded durable enough and wasn't immensely over priced. That's when I decided to make my own. I designed it (in my head) and when I thought that I had found a good design I bought the materials. I put together the frame and ordered a custom tarp. Currently I am adding snaps to the frame, after which I will be done. I hope to post pics soon.

More about the design. There are two 6 ft long 1 inch wide aluminum angle pieces that bolt directly to the trucks bed rails. Spanning the space between the 1 inch angles are 4, 3/4 inch aluminum angles; one in front, one in back and two in the middle for supports. Snaps are added to the front and rear 3/4 inch pieces and the 1 inch pieces to snap the tarp to.

I know that my description of it probably doesn't help very much, but it's the best idea I can give you until I can get around to taking pics(probably later today). Thanks for reading and stay tuned for updates.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
Sounds like a fun project. Picts in your photo gallery would definately be nice.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Waiting for pics!

Old 11-28-2008, 07:50 AM
the Mad Modder
Junior User
Sorry, pics and diagrams of the cover are in my gallery now.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:56 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
[Larry the Cable Guy voice] I don't care what anyone says...that's pretty slick right there! [/Larry the Cable Guy voice]

So if you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in material and time? Not sure why you'd ever want to, but at least if you need to use your stake pockets with the tonneau cover on, you can!

Good job...
Pat

Old 11-30-2008, 05:58 AM
the Mad Modder
Junior User
Originally Posted by PatsPOS
[Larry the Cable Guy voice] I don't care what anyone says...that's pretty slick right there! [/Larry the Cable Guy voice]

So if you don't mind me asking, how much do you have in material and time? Not sure why you'd ever want to, but at least if you need to use your stake pockets with the tonneau cover on, you can!

Good job...
Pat
Thank you.

I spend about $135 total.
$50 for the metal from Speedy Metals
$80 for the custom tarp from Mauritzon
$5 for extra snaps from Menards

I ordered the tarp with snaps from Mauritzon, unfortunately the misunderstood and placed the snaps on the outer edge of the tonneau frame(one of the dimensions I gave them was the frame size for reference) so i had to add additional snaps on the sides in between the pre existing ones so it would fit on the frame. I was able to use some of the existing snaps to save me some $$$. If anyone were to try making a cover like this, either explain it VERY thoroughly to the people at Mauritzon or put them on yourself. If you decide to go the Mauritzon route for the snaps, they do give you the bottoms (wood screw type) as well. Let me know if you would like to know how to put the wood screws into alum.

The cover project took me about 18 hours total; 12 on the tarp (more or less depending on how you attach the snaps) and about 6 on the frame.