Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hot Shot Secret?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
1nascar24fan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hot Shot Secret?

Just wondering ,without starting o big hullabaloo. if anyone has used the stuff advertised on here called "Hotshot Secret" ?If so what were the results?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
This stuff works the best with the 6.0s and there sticking injectors, and I did try some on my 2004 6.0. It had some stiction issues and it did help, cleaned up my cold starts a bit and overall seemed to make the motor run smoother. Im not into these miracle additives but this is one that I do think works. (call me crazy) I plan to try some in my 7.3 one of these days.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
1nascar24fan
Junior User
Thanks A-Rod,, Was just curious since they advertise it on here,I may try it too.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Reports from this forum are that it works best for the 6.0 guys. I know of at least two 7.3 members who tried it and afterwards asked for their money back per the garauntee, but never got their money back.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:11 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Short version: Tried it, wouldn't recommend it at all. Didn't work, and couldn't get money back.

Long version: I bought it, buying into their advertised part about guaranteeing money back if it didn't work or you saw no improvement. I put it in the truck on a fresh oil change, and never saw any difference in the way the truck ran, mileage, starting ease, nothing. Ran it the whole oil change, something like 5000 miles and when I had my oil tested, the results looked exactly like normal oil. I even mentioned the additive when I submitted the sample so they would look for something extra, but the lab found nothing.

So, with it not working at all for me, I tried to contact them to get my money back. I could not find any "official" method for requesting a refund, so I placed multiple phone calls and sent multiple emails, none of which ever got answered. I made it clear that the product did not work for me, politely though, and would like a refund, so they knew what the deal was. Never ever got any type of reply or phone call returned.

I chock it up to me getting suckered out of $50 and a lesson learned. However, I personally will steer anyone away from using it, based on my results with it not working and my experience with their bad business practice.

Edit: I see Brandon has mentioned others who had the same experience as me.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
that powerstrokehelp dude on youtube recommended that prolong i think but once again the more i hear about additives in the oil the more i want to steer clear

Old 11-24-2008, 10:22 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Good info Jeremy, I dont think many people would see much of a difference running this stuff in the 7.3s. It has seemed to truley help many 6.0 guys.
I beleive this stuff was designed specifically for the 6.0 and its injector sticking problems. Another reason Im glad my 6.0 is history!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
DR JOE
Senior User
Originally Posted by bigsteve1969
that powerstrokehelp dude on youtube recommended that prolong i think but once again the more i hear about additives in the oil the more i want to steer clear

Don't waste your money on that either, bought the whole song and dance and tried it. Said it [U]SHOULD[U] last about 10K miles... Nope, what little I was getting when out with the oil change.

Now I did have a friend that owed me a can of 44K from a deal I got him on some injector work. Well on the way home from Branson, MO I put it in and got the best mileage I have ever gotten 22mpg... Have never seen it before or since. Do not ask me why or how come, but I did record that for mileage.

Doc.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I tried it in my 99 7.3 and like Jeremy & others, it didn't seem to do squat. Truck ran the same, no mileage change up or down... nothing. I was working so many hours at the time I didn't bother requesting my money back, but it's not something I'd do again.

good for a 6.0
futile for a 7.3

Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Mike F250
Laughing Gas

Oh great, I've got the bottle of HSS in the barn. Was going to change oil tonight. They sure do ship fast. Next day delivery. Maybe there's a reason for that? I bought HSS due to what I believe to be a slow injector. Seems to miss at idle. Read many posts on this and did the ohm of the UVC. We shall see.
I'll post back in a few days with results. I am going from Ford's 15-40 dino to Rotella syn 5-40 though so I do expect to see a big difference. I wanted Shaefers 9000 but closest rep is 1.5 hours away. I asked about price with shipping and never heard back... Anyone know where to order online?

Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, you'll need a Rep to get the wholesale pricing. PM sent.

I'll say this about the Schaeffer's though...I honestly believe it helped to clean out my engine better than anything else. My UOA's showed it cleaning it out, but the biggest thing I noticed was the truck running smoother. I inquired with a rep about that and he told me that Schaeffer's oil has a great detergent package that is designed to remove old sludge and buildup left behind from other oils. Just an FYI for any of you with what you believe to be a sticky injector or two.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 289 Likes on 149 Posts
HSS worked wonders for my truck, but then again, my truck is extremely picky and has been since day one. Any additive I've tried, fuel or oil, my (except PS Diesel Kleen) truck hates and will let me know about it by running rough, drinking down fuel, and burning or foaming oil.

I decided to try HSS (even though it mentions it's for 6.0L Engines) after 213,000 miles with injector and power issues slowly making themselves apparent. A phone conversation with Chris and some change later, it was at my door in about a week.

One thing he did recommend I do, was to run my truck on the safest, highest tune to help clean things out a little better. (on my SCT its the 120hp/200tq tune) I did and between the 404 firepower (fuel) and HSS (oil) it really cleaned things up. It's like I have a whole new set of injectors. It wasn't a right now kind of difference though, it did take some time as I expected it to.

To put things to the test, I drove up to Dallas on business just to see how the engine would perform and the results were shocking. The engine was soooo quiet, all I heard was the slight whistle of the turbo as I climbed a hill and that's it. Mileage wise, my truck (lift, tires, and all) will give me about 17-18 mpg on the run to Dallas. I went to fill up when I got back and was shocked to see that I got 19.6 mpg. That was within about 1,000 or so miles since the last oil change. So within the first 1,000 miles, it made a real difference.

Needless to say, my cold starts (as in 35 degrees cold and colder) are if it's a warm day out (no loping), much smoother idle, acceleration, and better mileage. As I said, it worked for me and from the feel of things is still working.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
So what's the difference in the 6.0 injectors that causes the sticktion issue to begin with?

Jeremy, did you try it before you switched over to Schaffers, or had you been running that for a while? A question for those of you who have tried it (aside from Toreador_Diesel), were you having problems with your injectors that you were trying to cure?

I've never been a fan of an oil additive in the 7.3, but was just wondering if some of you who tried it were trying to fix something that wasn't broke. That could explain the lack of results. Our injectors can't be that much different then the 6.0 injectors, so I don't understand why it would work on one and not the other. I would have guessed it wouldn't work on either one.

Of course the stories about not honoring the guarantee tells a whole different story. If they stood behind the product, then it might be worth a last ditch effort for someone who couldn't afford a new injector(s).

It would be nice to hear more feedback from others who have used it on the 7.3.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
jrciii56
Elder User
Just an FYI. Prolong is chlorine and once it is used in a engine, it turns to hydrochloric acid.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
I guess he has forgotten a promise made to all of us in the last line of this post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ml#post4647790

Not lookin' too good, especially for an FTE sponsor.....

Pop

Quick Reply: Hot Shot Secret?