Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pulled my first Big load yesterday!!! 19k

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 AM
StampedePSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled my first Big load yesterday!!! 19k

This was the first pull after the new tranny and turbo and gauges. I turned the SC down to tow safe and took it easy. I really noticed a difference. First the tranny was awesome, shifts were firm and precise and TC lockup was awesome(thanks ATS). One time it shifted so hard I thought i might break something.
Second the turbo worked great. An interesting note, when cuising the turbo showed about 3lbs boost and ran 800 on my post tubo gauge. When I gave it a little boost, 10 psi, the temp dropped 50-75 degrees. Power overall was definetly better. Hills were easier and starting was alot better.Don't know if it was the turbo or tranny or both.

I never ran over 900 on the egt. Pretty happy. I am increasingly getting more serious about DP. Switch on the fly would be wonderful. I have to go out and reprogramm all the time now. I also noticed that the truck runs smoother on the bottom 2 settings. The performance tune seems to not run as quiet or as smooth.
Will the DP help with this "smoothness" issue?
Thanks,
Lusty

Old 11-21-2008, 10:44 AM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on a successful day of towing. 900* post turbo could be pushing the limit. I have read there can be up to 350* difference in post & PRE turbo numbers, that would have you at 1250* at the manifold, not good! A DP-Tuner can make everything smoother, the tow settings will get your EGT's under control also. Talking with Jody he can get you setup with a custom setup just for YOU, on what you haul, how your truck is setup, elevation you live at, etc........I am a former Superchip owner, and trust me.....it's a HUGE difference! Maybe take a look at moving your pyro sensor to PRE turbo also.....much more accurate as to whats going on with temps. Banks is about the ONLY company that reccomends post-turbo pyro.......why I have no clue!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lusty, I ran the SC for 4 years before I got the DP. Go ahead and do yourself a big favor, get the DP. You like it know, you have no idea what the difference is. Take if from me, there is a difference like night and day between the two. I still have the Superchip to read codes and to hold down the paperwork in my shop.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I second the idea of moving your pyro to pre-turbo. We can then talk apples to apples since we are monitoring pre-turbo temps.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The engine should be okay at 1250 (some guys run 1300!), but once he gets it moved he'll definitely know better what's going on.

The reason the EGTs went down is probably because you got more air in there. Did the tranny downshift when you stepped on it? Downshifting is a trick for climbing hills when the EGTs go up -- gets that turbo pushing more air and cools things off.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
StampedePSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am headed that direction. I will move the egt to pre-turbo as soon as I can get it in the shop. As for the temp, It was only up to 900 for a brief second, most of the time between 750 and 800 when i was on it. Cruising was about 650.
I thought the new turbo and 4' exahust would make a diff and i would be running alot cooler?

Old 11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StampedePSD
I am headed that direction. I will move the egt to pre-turbo as soon as I can get it in the shop. As for the temp, It was only up to 900 for a brief second, most of the time between 750 and 800 when i was on it. Cruising was about 650.
I thought the new turbo and 4' exahust would make a diff and i would be running alot cooler?
My temps were all at LEAST 100* higher when I was still running the Superchip. I think it's because the motor is working harder, to accomplish the same thing.