Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New welding helmet .....??

Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of19fifty4 has much to be proud of
Okay...if I'm far enough away from the arc that the auto darkening doesn't kick in / am I still at risk from arc flash? I know many of the helmets have a certain degree of protection even when they are not "on". Sorry to be so **** about this but this is precisely the scenario I want to make sure i don't screw up. My eyes, I got nobody to blame but myself...his 3 feet away watching, I need to make sure are protected as well and since I can't see what he is seeing I have to know his helmet is performing as required to protect his eyesight. So is it an issue with all autodarkening thus requiring a fixed lens?

Old 12-17-2008, 02:58 PM
BACAGrizz
Posting Guru
BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.BACAGrizz has a good reputation on FTE.
I have had my helmet darken in a welding class when the arc was 30 feet away. I have also been welding in my garage and heard a noise on the street and looked to see what it was and had it darken from the sunlight on the street. I don't think distance is a concern if the sensitivity is set correctly.
<O
The static lens is cheap and if the observer is not a participant then there is little need for a auto darkening unit unless you just want to spend the money on one. If he is just looking over your shoulder or on the other side of the work being welded there shouldn't be a problem.<O
<O
The solar ones don't react fast enough for me. Personal preference. I don't think the solar ones work as well as the auto-darkening and would not recommend one but, the one I borrowed was better than having to flip the hood down while welding like I would have had to do with a fixed lens
<O

Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
AXracer
Post Fiend
AXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud ofAXracer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 19fifty4 View Post
Okay...if I'm far enough away from the arc that the auto darkening doesn't kick in / am I still at risk from arc flash? I know many of the helmets have a certain degree of protection even when they are not "on". Sorry to be so **** about this but this is precisely the scenario I want to make sure i don't screw up. My eyes, I got nobody to blame but myself...his 3 feet away watching, I need to make sure are protected as well and since I can't see what he is seeing I have to know his helmet is performing as required to protect his eyesight. So is it an issue with all autodarkening thus requiring a fixed lens?
According to the helmet manufacturers the glass itself affords sufficient protection from the damaging UV rays. What the helmet is protecting you from is the exceptionally bright light like looking at a camera strobe when it goes off.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:49 PM
rockher_man
Elder User
rockher_man is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lightbulb Autos...

GriZZ & AX are RIGHT!...Just make SURE your adjustments for shade,

delay, sensitivity are CORRECT!!!