Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   New welding helmet .....?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/792902-new-welding-helmet.html)

robertr 11-14-2008 11:45 AM

New welding helmet .....??

Ok .... new issue ... and not specifically a truck thing, but as I've been working on my F1 rehab, I'm finding that the old flip front helmet I have is just not that easy to work with in tight places. Guess I'm due for a new one, and probably one of the "automatic" dimming ones?? The obvious question is which one? I'm a pretty serious tight-wad .... so price is a factor, but not at the sacrifice of my eyes in the process. What brands, and models are decent, and long lasting? I have a variety of welding shops in the area to talk to, as well as a number of tool suppliers, so should be able to locate most brands. Thanks in advance .....

RG in Spokane

four8fordf1 11-14-2008 12:04 PM

Chicago Electric Welding System Helmet

Kids purchased the "Chicago Electric Welding System" helmet which they got from Harbor Freight and I have been using it for over a year now and have not had any problems or complaints. I don't know what they paid, but considering the source, you know it had to be as inexpensive as any where you can go.

Regards,
Jerry Johnson

bobbytnm 11-14-2008 12:16 PM

Ditto to what Jerry just said. I know several people with the cheapo auto darkening hood from Harbor Freight. I havent heard anything bad about them yet

Bobby

Stephen67 11-14-2008 12:28 PM

How tight of a place are you working in? Goggles and a mask might work well, it's what I had to use when I did the floor boards in my car in a few areas. Don't skip on the mask...

Woodsman_30350 11-14-2008 12:35 PM

Goggles may be perfect. I never considered them. I have an Auto Darkening from Tractor Supply but whatever you get, get one with adjustable response times for the darkening activation.

Brian_B 11-14-2008 01:18 PM

I have one of the cheapo ones from HF as well. I have it set pretty light right now because of welding sheet metal (one tack at a time), but it will go pretty dark as well.

CharlieLed 11-14-2008 03:36 PM

I have used the HF auto-darkening units with no problem but when I bought my TIG I needed to upgrade...I went with a 3M Speedglas model 9002X and I'll NEVER go back to the cheapie. Far better control of the darkening glass and I can see the weld puddle much better without any eye strain. Kinda like going from a Taiwan cresent wrench to a SnapOn pneumatic ratchet!

r_reed 11-14-2008 04:12 PM

i don't know what HF charges for their cheapo helmets, but we bought a pair of auto darkening from Northern Tool and Equipment for $49.99 each. we are happy with them. dick r

Danny D 11-14-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman_30350 (Post 6768027)
Goggles may be perfect. I never considered them.

you should not consider them. If you use goggles only for arc welding your face will end up with "sun burn" from the arc rays in a short time. Sometimes I have used a mirror to weld around corners.

73f100shortbed 11-14-2008 08:01 PM

I want to purchase the one from harbor freight as well. I believe it was like $65 or so. Lowes also has a nice one but it was $150.

Brian_B 11-14-2008 08:42 PM

Watch HF for the sales. They get cheaper every so often.

CharlieLed 11-14-2008 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Danny D (Post 6769835)
you should not consider them. If you use goggles only for arc welding your face will end up with "sun burn" from the arc rays in a short time. Sometimes I have used a mirror to weld around corners.

GOOD POINT! I was doing some MIG welding on a particularly hot day and did not wear long sleeves. No problem I thought because I didn't get hit with any sparks...WRONG. Later that day while in the shower I noticed that the inside of my left arm was tender and red...the electric arc will really do a number on exposed skin.

51ford fan 11-14-2008 10:22 PM

I bought one of the cheap helmets you see at the Swap meets, It lasted a couple years then died. I too didn't want to spend the big bucks for one sense I probably only do a few hours welding a year. I finally bought a Miller Pro-Hobby Series helmet, there is such a difference in the level of performance it's well worth the extra money.

BACAGrizz 11-14-2008 11:21 PM

What are your eyes worth?

I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for. I have a Miller auto darkening with instant on and grind mode. You can adjust how dark it gets and how long a delay before it lightens. You can also adjust the ambient light level so it will not darken in daylight when welding outside. I love it. The way I figure it is that my eyes are worth the expense. It even has a bracket for putting in a magnifying lens. Talk about convenient!!

For comparison I borrowed a friends solar unit from Harbor Freight and it did not darken quickly enough for me. It did however give me an idea of what I didn't want in a helmet and I checked out several before going with the model I bought. I didn't get the top of the Miller line but I did get a good one.

It's battery operated and uses solar from the arc to recharge the battery. Pretty slick unit.

frankcowan 11-14-2008 11:21 PM

I try to purchase old used tools when ever I can. I'm cheap that way. Most of my tools are used from ebay or garage sales. All except my welding helmet. I purchased a miller elite from ebay. Lots of adjustments and larger view area. Expensive but worth it. JMO