1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My 01' 7.3 Only Worth $5000 On Trade In??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:49 AM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 01' 7.3 Only Worth $5000 On Trade In??

I am totally disguisted, I was considering trading in my Black 01' F-350 Crew Cab Dually with 173,000 highway miled and in great condition on a F-250 (2008) and the dealer told me that they would only give me $5000.00 for mine! I totally understand that the price of diesel being so high has driven the price of trade ins down, but it can't be that bad can it??? So I asked the sales guy "Ok, then show me 1 lot any lot that has one of these in this good of shape and with all the extras for that price?? Well of course he started backpeddling then.......I said "yeah that's what I thought, obviously you don't want to see your truck bad enough and walked out". Am I the only one that has been totally insulted at a dealer's offer for a trade in on these durable trucks? I wouldn't have even thought about trading it in but I wanted an F-250 4X4 but I am not sure if I even want to try again with another dealership. They suggested "why don't you try to sell it outright"? Well then I guess that's what i'll have to do if I don't want to take a loss that low with what they offered.....very frustrated!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 06:52 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
That's the way it is in the car business.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
That's the way it is in the car business.
When I bought my truck the dealer did the same thing to me on my trade in (98 F150 Ex cab Stepside) They offered me 2K. I told them that I didn't need to buy a truck that they needed to sell the truck. I left the dealership and on Monday the owner called me. Long story short I got what I wanted for my truck, and paid what I wanted for the new truck.

You have to play hardball, but be prepared to walk away from the deal. I just did this with kid brother last weekend. He is a Toyota guy and he got a sweet deal when we were done.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:12 AM
greedy737
Elder User
First off why would you want to traded your 7.3 on a fuel sucking 08 with only 173,000 miles on it? Wouldn't sell mine until the body falls off, and than I would buy another 7.3 truck!! Oh, and welcome to FTE.........

Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Heck, I might be interested... CC DRW 7.3 in black? Hmmmm.....

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
When I bought my truck the dealer did the same thing to me on my trade in (98 F150 Ex cab Stepside) They offered me 2K. I told them that I didn't need to buy a truck that they needed to sell the truck. I left the dealership and on Monday the owner called me. Long story short I got what I wanted for my truck, and paid what I wanted for the new truck.

You have to play hardball, but be prepared to walk away from the deal. I just did this with kid brother last weekend. He is a Toyota guy and he got a sweet deal when we were done.
Jim,
You're one tough hombre. I like to hear that.

Don't take any crap off the dealers. If they want to sell something bad enough, they'll "get right".

Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

i bought mine from a dealership and got a good price on it - funny though, i go back for an oil change (free with the plan i bought) and they were like "We lost money on that deal!" - yeah-friggin-RIGHT!!! i told the guy "don't think i'm going to stand for you insulting my intelligence. if you did that, you'd be out of business quick, so don't try to BS me again ever. got it??"

there are a few good decent salesmen out there, but boy are they rare!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
Jim,
You're one tough hombre. I like to hear that.

Don't take any crap off the dealers. If they want to sell something bad enough, they'll "get right".
Thanks Roland. I have done electrical work at some of the used car dealerships im my area and I see what they pay for some of the vechicles. The profit margin is pretty good. I have even seen them put in used parts and claim that they are new. It's sad but they snowball the public all the time.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:05 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by megawatt00
Thanks Roland. I have done electrical work at some of the used car dealerships im my area and I see what they pay for some of the vechicles. The profit margin is pretty good. I have even seen them put in used parts and claim that they are new. It's sad but they snowball the public all the time.
Honesty and integrity are qualities that are rare these days. I'm glad that you possess both. I commend you my friend.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Shonufftuff69
New User
Originally Posted by papadelogan
Heck, I might be interested... CC DRW 7.3 in black? Hmmmm.....
Its a very nice one owner truck (I bought it new) and the motor is very tight and have not had any work on it except for a new starter and alternator. It has a newly rebuilt tranny in it and other than that that's all the repair work that it has had. The mileage is 90% highway, I drive about 35-40 miles per day one way to work and then to local rodoes on the weekends. I have not ragged the truck out in any way form or fashion. Serviced every 5000 mi. I pull a livestock bumper pull trailer with it when I go to rodeos. I just want a new/newer 3/4 4x4 and that is the only reason for me wanting to get ride of it. It is Black and has Tan leather interior. 4 Door, spray in bedliner, gooseneck hitch. Has been taken very good care of and all the leather looks brand new except for the driver's seat's armrest and the bottom left (if your sitting in it) side of the drivers seat has a little tear in the leather. Has a chrome Brushgaurd, chrome bedrails, tinted windows, vent guards, bug shield. That is pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head.
Thanks

Old 10-31-2008, 09:48 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like a nice rig, If you want more $$ for it, you will have to go the classifieds route and sell it. Dealers are not as desperate as they say on the news I guess.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:13 AM
dpwilson
Elder User
Shoot, I'll give ya $5500! It's insane the offers they throw at you for trade in. I was thinking on buying a new 06 powerstroke several years ago and they offered $6k less then blue book. I still have my truck.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a dealership try to lowball me earlier this summer. I was considering a trade in from one of our work trucks for a newer diesel work truck. Without even looking at my trade in, they flat out said they would only pay $500. What was I going to trade? A 99 F-250. LOL

The sales guy said that's what his manager told him to offer me. Then the sales guy said that I should sell the truck on my own, since it was obvious the manager didn't even want it. At least the salesman was honest about it.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:37 AM
nlindelldc
Junior User
I had a similar experience at the dealership, so I ended up going a different route.....I sold my truck on ebay in less than a day! And, oh yeah, I bought a 7.3 that same day on ebay too! Screw the dealers! ha...

Old 10-31-2008, 10:44 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
They are in the business to make money, and if they can screw you they will.

Playin hardball is the only way to go.

Quick Reply: My 01' 7.3 Only Worth $5000 On Trade In??