1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 02:50 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Install Question

I am about to go and install my II's from Rosewood and I just have a few questions. I sucked out quite a bit of oil from the cylinders with the shop vac and am just wondering if that is all the oil that I have to worry about? In the write-up I'm going by it says to suck it out and then turn it over by hand a few turns to make sure its all out. If I have to do this can i just pull maxi #9 and bump the starter? And will it come out the cylinder bore or do I have to remove the GP's?Thanks

Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
wmiller
Elder User
what i did was left the vc harness unpluged, pulled gp set valve covers on and put 2 bolts in real lose and roled it over with starter a time or 2. Pulled vc back off put gp in and everything back together.
When you go to start crack the lid on the fuel bowl and have someone watch till it fill back up and tighten it. Do the same thing with the plugs on the back of the head closest to the fire wall. Be prepared to crank a LOT. I cranked for 10sec and than waited 20 or so and repeated prob 20 times

Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by foxracing0934
I am about to go and install my II's from Rosewood and I just have a few questions. I sucked out quite a bit of oil from the cylinders with the shop vac and am just wondering if that is all the oil that I have to worry about? In the write-up I'm going by it says to suck it out and then turn it over by hand a few turns to make sure its all out. If I have to do this can i just pull maxi #9 and bump the starter? And will it come out the cylinder bore or do I have to remove the GP's?Thanks
Are you asking about turning it over with the starter before you put the injectors in? You can't do that! The hpop will just pump the oil back into the cylinders. Once you're sure you have vacuumed all the oil out you can put the injectors in. At that point you can either turn it over by hand to make sure you haven't hydrolocked a cylinder or pull the GP's and bump the starter using the fender mounted solenoid.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
wmiller
Elder User
i didnt even bother sucken cylinder out. Pulled all the old one and stuck the new ones in and tightened them down than pulled gp rolled over a little and finished putting it back together.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
BlueMule
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wmiller
i didnt even bother sucken cylinder out. Pulled all the old one and stuck the new ones in and tightened them down than pulled gp rolled over a little and finished putting it back together.
That's not the way to do it, You're lucky you didn't bend a rod. I hope you don't recommend that method to others.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:43 PM
Tim Shultz
Senior User
the diesel guy at ford said just crank the motor over a few times to blow the oil out before putting the new sticks in and your good to go. but the shop vac sounds like a good idea.. my inj. are on the way to rosewood if they are not there already. so I also would like some more input on this as I SURE don't want to bend a rod!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:46 PM
wmiller
Elder User
tha sucking is deffinatly a better option but i know severale guys that do it that way. I feel confident enough to do it the same way again

Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after the injectors are out the oil rails in the heads are bone dry. the hpop wont move enough oil to fill them in the time you need to crank on it. leave the glow plugs out, crank it by hand several times, then use the starter to finish the remaining oil out. even after all that it will still smoke like a mother... for about 5-10 minutes.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:39 AM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Well after about 5 hours i finally got it all back together. It only took about 40 minutes to get the injectors in but then i had to go and drop a galley plug into the #5 push rod openning. But needless to say a few hours later and a bunch of those 99cent magnet sticks and i finally got it out and the truck back together. And let me tell ya i was expecting a difference but HOLY S***!!! Even without the right tunes the truck will spin the tires at 40 and it will plant your butt in that seat faster than anything else i've driven. I give this upgrade the best bang for the buck, so far.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM
wmiller
Elder User
glad to hear that fox. m I cant quite brak loose. DO you have a 5 speed and/or 4:10 rear? I think i'm sending my chip out next week and cant wait for the right tunes