Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Hope i used the right ELC coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hope i used the right ELC coolant?

Hey everybody, i picked up some Prestone ELC the other day and flushed and filled with 4 gallons and some distilled water. Everything looks great but after looking on their web-site i see a heavy duty ELC in a black bottle, i purchased the yellow bottle. Here,s the link .Prestone :: Products : Antifreeze/Coolant Did i purchase the wrong coolant??? I got the first yellow one and if you scroll down you'll see the heavy duty coolant. Thanks..

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you used the wrong stuff, Mike... Hate to be the bearer of bad news. That is the "mixes with all colors" stuff, right? You need the Heavy Duty methinks...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Man Joe, i,m so disapointed, i seen it said ELC for all makes and models and went for it. Tonite i go to their web-site and see the heavy duty, i said to myself, oh no..

Old 10-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
I just priced FinalCharge at Napa at $17/gal if that helps. It's the same as Rotella ELC.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Joe is right you need the black jug heavy duty

Old 10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Alright, now i know i got the wrong coolant in there, i,ve been running this for a week now so i,m not getting the full protection i should be getting, right??? And did i harm my ride running this for a week???

Old 10-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Probably not. Just get it flushed out of there as soon as you can and don't worry about it. Chit happens....

Old 10-28-2008, 11:08 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
Probably not. Just get it flushed out of there as soon as you can and don't worry about it. Chit happens....
WHEWW. This is gonna be good when the wifey see,s me doing the flush again.. Thanks again fellas...

Old 10-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If that's considered a "Universal Coolant", check out what Gooch has to say about them in post number 4, second to last sentence, in this thread: Gooch's Coolant Info: Post #4

"Not to be used - Dexcool, Universal coolants, All-makes-all-models, etc."

Stewart

Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Mike, in checking further, Gooch has this to say about the coolant you used:

"... do not use the Prestone Extended Life (All makes-all models). It is not a diesel coolant, and was never inteded to be a diesel coolant. Prestone will even tell you that if you call them.

Prestone makes an excellent extended life diesel coolant. It is called Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant. It will be red coolant in a black bottle. They also make an excellent conventional, pre-charged coolant. But it will have a shorter live and still need to be tested for SCA. It will be purple coolant in a black bottle.

Check them out here: Prestone :: Products : Antifreeze/Coolant

In NJ, you might find them, or order them, at a Carquest, Action Auto Supply, Tri-State, VIP, or Consumer Auto Parts store."

Source: Post number 12 in the same thread link in my above post.

Stewart

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Now thats some info right there Stewart. I,m going to change this coolant out tomorrow, ASAP. Thanks for the link.. Edit: just seen your post above, i,m really ticked i didn't take my time and research this better.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
Now thats some info right there Stewart. I,m going to change this coolant out tomorrow, ASAP. Thanks for the link.. Edit: just seen your post above, i,m really ticked i didn't take my time and research this better.
I'll be honest, I rarely go to TDS, but when it comes to ANYTHING coolant related, I do a search on Gooch's posts and threads. He KNOWS coolant stuff.

When I did my water pump replacement last year, I studied his posts. That's one reason I was able to contribute to Nicks water pump thread.

Stewart

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I'll be honest, I rarely go to TDS, but when it comes to ANYTHING coolant related, I do a search on Gooch's posts and threads. He KNOWS coolant stuff.

When I did my water pump replacement last year, I studied his posts. That's one reason I was able to contribute to Nicks water pump thread.

Stewart
I agree, he does know what he,s talking about. I never really wander around to different forums but that was some great info, i,m really impressed. I appreciate everybody,s help and sitting here now is bothing me knowing its the wrong coolant. Thanks Stewart. Reps when i can to all if i didn't get yaa already. Timeout again.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by big poppa pump
I agree, he does know what he,s talking about. I never really wander around to different forums but that was some great info, i,m really impressed. I appreciate everybody,s help and sitting here now is bothing me know it isn't the right coolant. Thanks Stewart.
With all the knowledge the guru's help us (me) with, it's nice to be able to contribute once in awhile!

You're very welcome!

Stewart

Quick Reply: Hope i used the right ELC coolant?