Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

UOA back - looking good!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts
That's a question I have not gotten an answer too yet either. I'm actually seriously considering getting a set of the Bilsteins at the same time, and also doing the driver side ball joint, too. From what I understand, the Bilsteins will stretch to it, but I think they also offer a shock that wil adjust to something like 3 or 4 additional inches. I plan on talking with a couple of suspension shops before launching in and tearing everything down... just to make sure I have what I need and get it right the first time.

As far as "more level".... yes. There is also a slim chance that the 3" might just be too much because we're supposed to actually get about 3" of lift off a 2 to 2-1/2 inch levelign kit due to where the spsacers go in respect to the actual pivot point on the structure. Inother words, since we're shoving a spacer in between the physical location of the fender and the pivot point on the suspension, you end up with more than 2" of actual body lift... pic below.

Shove a spacer into position "A", and the height increase at position "B" is greater than the height of the spacer used at "A". At least, that's the explanation I've been told. Personally, I want to see it to know for sure because I have not looked at the physical geometry of the front end close enough to tell yet. If the contact point at position "A", bottom end, is parallel with the centerline of the wheel, then I can't see how the body rise will be greater than the thickness of the spacer.

Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2008, 06:14 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Numbers look good Pete! That low silicon level is very appealing too, especially considering I've got one of your covers.

I noticed on your previous result, it looks like you asked for a TBN. You might call the lab and talk to Karen about that. Earlier in the year, I had asked her if they could do a TBN, and was told that they have to ship off a sample somewhere else to have the TBN done, but if I put a check in with the sample for $6.50 and requested it, they could be done. She didn't want to make a habit of it, but said if I wanted one every once in a while that would be okay. I'm not sure if they're still able to do that or not, but if you wanted a TBN, it might be worth a phone call to find out.

Originally Posted by F250_
On the Rep issue... call the number for your regional sales manager and talk with him/her directly. The sites they list on the web are hte retail stores, and you would not get the wholesale pricing from the retail location anyway. It's the wholesale pricing that makes it worthwhile.
Pete, that's a very good point. The dealer/retail locater on the Schaeffer's website is only for retail locations and does not show the location of actual sales reps. Contacting the home office is the way to get in touch with an actual sales rep. Also, if you are looking to buy enough ($350, pre tax) to get free shipping, you can purchase from any rep, not just the one closest to you. I know of a few reps here in the midwest that have customers all over the country.

Man, you guys seriously hijacked your own thread! LOL. UOA's to suspension talk.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL.... I know, Jeremy. I'm horrible with the hijack thing.

I'll check into finding a local rep. I haven't yet because I was happy with the Syn Rotella. I'll get that done when I come due for my next OC. Since I just did one, I'll be okay for a few months. I certainly don't need $350+ worth of stuff -- if I did, I'd DEFINITELY become a rep. LOL....

Old 10-28-2008, 08:15 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Schaeffer's reps are a little unique in the fact that Schaeffer's actually puts them through training, so they know what they're talking about. They spend a week in St. Louis, going through lots of information about both the product, lubricants in general, and about the machines and such that the products are used in. A lot of reps also sell Schaeffer's pretty much full time too, so they're dealing with it all day, every day. It's a lot different from something like Amosil, where you pretty much just sign up and you're a dealer, with little or no training.

That's one of the reasons I also suggest someone talk directly to a rep, rather than a retail location, since the retail locations don't have nearly the training and education on the oil.

I don't really have a point with this post. Just an FYI. It popped into my head for some reason.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Good info -- thanks Jeremy! I wouldn't be opposed to a trip to St. Louis. I've been there several times and always had fun.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
deereman4020
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering how often should you change out the oil in the HPOP?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, i think this is a good question pertaining to collecting the oil for testing. After bringing the oil up to temps do you get the oil sample from the begining of the flow after you take the oil pan bolt off or do you take a sample from the middle or end of oil drain??? Why i ask is i,m about 4,000 away from my 10,000 mile change interval with the Rotella 5w-40 syn and would like to see how this Rotella syn been holding up...I found a Shaeffers dealer thanks to another member here and will be trying the syn next, thanks.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by deereman4020
I was wondering how often should you change out the oil in the HPOP?
You don't *have* to. The oil in there is cycled through the rest of the LP system, and refilled by the LPOP. It's not like a closed system or something. But some folks just like to do a more "complete" oil change, so they suck about an extra quart out of the HPOP reservoir. I did that once when I switched to syn. Won't do it again. Messy and really not worth it.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Joe, if you ever decide it's something you'd like to do, let me know. A lot of the reps are retired from something else too, and got tired of not working. They like the independence that being self employed offers them.

Jacob, I always used to change mine, but I don't think it's at all necessary. The oil in the HPOP res gets cycles through and is not stagnant oil. For those that believe that it does not get circulated with the rest of the engine oil, keep in mind that the EOT sensor, which the PCM uses to control fueling, is located in the HPOP res. If it never circulated, it would not get an accurate reading of overall EOT.

Mike, when you take a sample, you want to take it from warm oil and in the middle of the drain.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM
deereman4020
Postmaster
Thanks Joe and Jeremy. I'm kinda thinking about getting an oil analisys about how much do they cost?

Old 10-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Standard analysis is $22.50 at Blackstone. They'll send you a free collection container to mail it back to them:
Blackstone Laboratories

Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by deereman4020
Thanks Joe and Jeremy. I'm kinda thinking about getting an oil analisys about how much do they cost?
$9.00 through Schaeffers, like what Pete has. Unlike Blackstone though, they are pre-paid, and you need to buy them 6 at a time. Can't get just one, unless your local rep happens to have some available and can sell you just one. $54 will get you 6 kits through Schaeffers, but not even 3 from Blackstone. Oh, and the Schaeffer's kits also have postage already paid on them, so you just pull your sample and put it in the mailbox, where you still need to add postage for the Blackstone samples.

The Schaeffer's kits are less expensive and easier to send off. I also believe you get a better OUA. I've seen some really messed up stuff coming from Blackstone, both personally and from others, that took away all of my confidence in them. Just my $.02.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:13 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Jeremy, i'll do that and Jacob asked my other question.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250_
I'm well pleased. The only thing I don't understand is the differences in additive components. Now, some additional context is that the first oil run which ran 12,400 miles had a 1.5 quart "dilution" added to it at about 8,500 miles. Would that be enough "fresh oil" to falsely elevate the additive components in comparison to my recent sample which had no "dilution" and had run for 7,800 miles.

In other words, the first sample was composed of oil which can be characterised as follows:
- 16 quarts in at ZERO miles
- 1.5 quarts of oil "burned", replaced with 1.5 quarts fresh oil at about 8,000 miles
- another 1 quart "burned over the remaining 4,400 miles, NOT replaced before sampling and changing oil at 12,400 miles

More math games...
(16 - 1.5) = 14.5 quarts
1.5x15/16 = 9.4% ( or, 1.4 quarts) of the oil ran only the last 4,400 miles
and 15 - 1.4 = 13.6 quarts of the original oil ran the entire 12,400 miles

Would that 9.4% of "low use" oil have been enough to mathematically raise the additive component percentages as shown when comparing the two samples?
Pete,

were both oil samples CJ-4 or was one of them the CI-4 plus spec?

Old 10-28-2008, 09:20 PM
F250_JR
Senior User
Originally Posted by jtharvey
Mike, when you take a sample, you want to take it from warm oil and in the middle of the drain.
I hope that this is not bad, but I just realized that when I took the sample that my dad is talking about, I didn't really drain much at all before filling up the sample bottle. It was more like I opened the drain, spilled a little, then filled the bottle. Reading this now, I know that my dad told me to do that, but I must have forgotten.
I hope that won't make it inacurate.

Quick Reply: UOA back - looking good!