1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Throttle Position Sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM
RADUD
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Position Sensor ?

How exactly does the throttle position sensor work? I've got a general idea, but i want to know if its possible to rig up a switch that will only turn at full throttle. I'm putting in a homemade water/methanol injection using a windshield washer pump into the air intake and it would be convenient if it would only turn on at full throttle if possible. Thanks in advance

Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TPS is a variable resistor. +5 volts on one end and ground on the other. The wipper varies as you step on the go peddle. Idle is close to but not 0 volts and full throttle is close to but not +5 volts.

Myself, I would not connect anything to it as it would be easy to load down without isolation circuits. Maybe you could use a boost switch connected into the MAP hose.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:42 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The voltage varies just as Hussler said. .7 volts is idle and 4.7 is WOT. Anymore than that and the PCM throws a code. If would probably be easy to rig up a micro switch and bracket on the pedal itself for activation.

(If you already know the following then disregard)

BUT I will caution you against your pump choice. Atomization of the mixture injected into the intake is of utmost importance to ensure against hydro locking and poor dispersion of the water/meth. The water can't be injected pre turbo as it will destroy the compressor and the pump must be able to over come boost pressures post turbo with great enough pressure to atomize the water thru the nozzle which will also be a very key part to your system that must be carefully chosen.

One more thing to keep in mind that a solenoid of some sort should be used to cut/open flow of the pump. You don't want any chance of the water getting in there when the truck is off or trickling in when you don't want it to be. It not as easy as sticking a hose in the intake and spraying at will.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Will who ?...

Old 10-23-2008, 06:15 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
Will who ?...
....William (Talyn) ....Watch out he just called me today and said he is coming to Muskegon. bet he will stop over. I gave his you # and address. Well ok I didn't only cause he didn't ask for it.

William if you read this you should come on down to Mears so I can spray you. its not too cold I just washed my wifes car!