Injector and other problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:14 AM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector and other problem

Hello,

Is it possible for 6 injectors to go out at once?

My Dads 95 or 96 (I have to find out which year) F350 PSD will start and run fine for a minute or two, then rev up on its own and blow white/gray smoke that smells like fuel. Had a shop run a scan, replaced the cam sensor, wasn't it, rescanned and it said it was the turbo/boost sensor, replaced and wasn't it.

So he decided to take it to a different shop, now they say 6 injectors are bad and the harness needs replaced, that will cost over $3,000. Is there a cheaper place to get them, or have them rebuilt?

Already wasted over $1,000 replacing parts that didn't fix it, so I'm trying to find out everything I can to keep him from wasting anymore. I'm a gas burner and know squat about Diesels so any help is appreciated.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is most likely the UVC (Under Valve Cover) wiring harnesses, probably burnt and/or the VC (Valve Cover) caskets, they have electrical connectors in them, and/or burnt pins on the engine wiring harness connectors that connect to the valve cover gaskets.

First, unplug the two connectors on the valve cover gaskets and look for burnt/broken/bent pins in the end of the engine wiring harness and the connectors on the valve cover gaskets. They make replacement pin kits for the wiring harness but I don't have my part numbers list to look at right now.

Second, pull the valve covers (left drivers side is easiest) and check the UVC wiring. These wires will burn and cause a short that keeps the injectors from firing.

Check things out and let us know what you find. We'll help you get it back up and running as cheap as possible.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 AM
wmiller
Elder User
Sounds like injector o-ring are bad. How many miles are on the truck? Did the dealer run a contribution test or pop test the injectors? If he does need new injectors I'de talk to Jim at Rosewood Diesel. He is the go to guy for injectors

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 AM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
Plowhand,
The last shop to work on it took it apart, and we picked it up still apart so checking these will be easy. Will be this afternoon before we can look, if needed I will take pictures of it all.

Wmiller,
The truck has around 220k miles the best I remember. I'm not sure what tests (if any) they ran, they just said the injectors were pouring? fuel.

I found Rosewood Diesel's website, I'll give him a call if it turns out that he does need injectors.

Thanks guys.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Johnson,
I have seen this literally hundreds of times. Try a bottle of Hot Shot's Secret in you engine oil. It can be purchased at Lubrication Specialties | Diesel Motor Oil | Primrose Engine Oil | Fuel Additives | Oil Additives | Engine Restore| for $49.95. This product was developed for International Truck and Engine for this specific problem. It is guaranteed to work. If it doesn't work you can easily get your money back by calling the company.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
westcoastslider
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chris Gabe Lube Specialties
Johnson,
I have seen this literally hundreds of times. Try a bottle of Hot Shot's Secret in you engine oil. It can be purchased at Lubrication Specialties | Diesel Motor Oil | Primrose Engine Oil | Fuel Additives | Oil Additives | Engine Restore| for $49.95. This product was developed for International Truck and Engine for this specific problem. It is guaranteed to work. If it doesn't work you can easily get your money back by calling the company.

Thanks,
Chris

Is this for reel?
Has anyone used this stuff?
I don't mean to sound rude, but I checked out the site and it sounds kinda like snake oil to me... Does it go in the diesel or in the crank case oil? And how does it do all that stuff it clames to do?

"
Not only does Hot Shot’s Secret eliminate your injector problem, it also offers these added benefits:

*Improves Power
*Improves Compression
*Removes Engine Deposits
*Seals Rings Better
*Neutralizes Harmful Engine Acids
*Reduces Frictional Drag
*Prevents Excessive Wear
*Reduces Lifter and Valve Noises
*Restores Oil Pressure "

The symptoms do sound more like the under valve cover wiring harness to me. If so a injector cleaner won't make a difference.

For a injector cleaner I have had good luck with Lubro Molly's Diesel Purge.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
westcoastslider
Senior User
Ah sorry Chris,

I just reread your post and you did specify it is added to the engine oil.
So it cleans the engine oil side of the injectors.
May want to use a injector cleaner at the same time to clean the diesel side off the injector.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:40 PM
johnsonswamp
Senior User
The harness is shot, and we have the injectors at a shop getting tested, should have the results tomorrow or monday.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
You can fix the harness ends at the valve covers. They sell kits at ford for $14.