1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Turbo reinstall finished

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo reinstall finished

Got the turbo back in with the new o-rings. Went together real well. No exhaust leaks, everything sounds good and the truck runs really strong...

Oil leak is still just as bad as ever. Still looks like it's coming from the turbo pedestal. I looked for cracks in the pedestal when I had it out. Didn't see any.

I'm going to Margaritaville.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Well I'm glad the it went together real nice for ya. However, I can't imagine the pedestal being cracked.

Is there o-rings between the pedestal and the turbo?? Can you get in there with a flash light and see?

What did the seals look like on the turbo? A seal could go out create an oil mess.

Do you know for sure that it's coming from the turbo region and not farther up the valley?

Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to isolate things...

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Norton72
Elder User
I installed four new o-rings; two between the turbo and the pedestal and two at the bottom rear of the pedestal. I don't know anything about the seals in the turbo, but I checked the blades for play while I had it out. There was very little side to side play and virtually no in and out play. Would this be and indication that the seals are good? Is this where the seals are located?

I'm not absolutely sure anymore that the leak is from the pedestal area, but the valley appears to be dry in front of the pedestal, and the most noticeably oily area seems to be around the passenger's side rear pedestal bolt.

It's a bad leak and has made a mess of the undercarriage of my truck. From the front of the transmission all the way to the rear bumper and even on the tailgate is an oily mess.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be the EBPV actuator leaking? That would explain the oily area.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Man, I've looked at that real close and I just can't see any oil around there. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the modified pedestal and then run on over to Rubber Duck's place and put it in when I get it. Just as a preventive measure because I've heard that is a very likely place for a leak.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:34 AM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
I just modified my turbo pedestal it is easy and will save 150 to 200 bucks. Just remove the actuator cut it off to a total length of 2 inches .Tap the threads to 1/4 pipe threads and plug it with a 1/4 inch brass pipe plug. Then I put my cut off actuator back in smeared a little silcone around the cap and reinstall it. The only reason I did not leave the actuator out I though it might help with oiling because you want oil to still circulate through there. And make sure it does not block the oil hole. That is why I cut it off the length of 2 inches . You will see what I am talkign about if you get in there. Hopefully I will have my turbo reinstalled today if th eshaft comes back from being balanced. Did you remove the EBV ?
Larry

Old 10-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Norton72
Elder User
Thanks Larry. No, I didn't remove the EBPV. I hooked it all back up. I figured if it's gonna be on there, it might as well work like it's supposed to. Besides, I didn't have a grinder small enough to grind the rivets down to get the plate off the shaft. I would have had to either go buy one or borrow one, and I needed to get the truck back on the road.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 AM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
I blew my rivets off with a torch knocked it out and threw it in the trash barrel. Then I got a 3/4 freeze plug and drove in the bottom hole. Put a little JB weld on it for insurance. I won't be removing it. You being you live in Texas should not need the EBV for warm up purposes. I thought about leaving it all stock but my actuator was leaking plus my seals were blowing oil. If you want to go through this turbo you can get rebuild kits on ebay fro 95 bucks and it is simple as ever to rebuild. Lots of luck send me a pm if and questions.
Larry

Old 10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Norton72
Elder User
I got a better look at it this morning after getting it warmed up real good. I swear it still looks like the leak is coming from between the turbo and the pedestal. Could I have fouled something up when I put it back together? I did give the o-rings a good coating of oil before I put it together. That is, after Rubber Duck told me to, I went back and took it apart and oiled them, then put it back together. Luckily the pedestal was still on the bench at the time.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
One of the o-rings must have slipped.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Originally Posted by the_old_ranger
One of the o-rings must have slipped.
That or you ripped one on the install. I hate how they designed the stock pedestal setup on these engines...

Old 10-23-2008, 06:27 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Norton72
That is, after Rubber Duck told me to
I still think that's sound advice. Never put an o-ring together in something dry. But that's just my opinion. I hope you don't think it's my fault for saying you should put oil on the o-rings. I sure don't want you to be mad at me. I was just telling you what I would do.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Norton72
Elder User
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
I still think that's sound advice. Never put an o-ring together in something dry. But that's just my opinion. I hope you don't think it's my fault for saying you should put oil on the o-rings. I sure don't want you to be mad at me. I was just telling you what I would do.
No way man. I should have known in the first place to lube those o-rings. I would do so in any other application, so why not this one?

Hey Cody, I'm gonna call you in a little bit. I'd like to go ahead and order a modified pedestal and then when I get it I'd like to install it at your place if we can get together on it.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM
the_old_ranger
Senior User
I reinstalled my turbo today and just used some wheel bearing grease on the o-rings. Extra sticky grease, seemed to work ok.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a pedestal for sale here:
OBS modded pedestal/ebpv housing - Powerstroke Nation

I justran across it and thought of you. $125.00

Quick Reply: Turbo reinstall finished