Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powertrax Lock Right

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-1999, 04:47 PM
Rodriguez
Powertrax Lock Right

I own a 1995 F-150 XL 4x2 Regular Cab wich I plan to convert into a pre-runner off road vehicle. One of the first items I would like to add is a differential locker and I was thinking of using a Powertrax Lock Right. Has anyone had any experience with this type of locker??? Any help would be appriciated.

Old 06-22-1999, 11:20 AM
Chuck P.
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powertrax Lock Right

Hi Rodriques,
Sorry I don't have any personal experience with the lock right,(tru-tracs front and rear), but, in this months 4x4 Power there is a good article about installing and driving with a lock-right. They used a 10 bolt chevy for the article but the installation is about the same in a 8.8". I know that the detroit lock right has a 32" tire limit and the powertrax does not have any limits. Detroit also has a newer locking diff called a crosspin (trunkle or something like that) that is suppose to be quieter than a locker or the lock-right. No racheting sound when turning. Hope this little bit of info helps you get started with your project. Good luck! Chuck P.

Old 08-04-1999, 01:46 AM
Andy Cohen
Powertrax Lock Right

Hi Rod,

I was one of the first people to get a look at the old lock-right, known now as Powertraxx. I did an install on this for a 86 Chevy Blazer that ran in Off-Road magazine quite a few years ago. the focus of the article was that my (at the time) 10 year old son did most of the work. after that i installed them in every (6) vehicle i built for the San Bernardino County Sheriffs Dept., Rim of The World Search and Rescue trucks front and rear. these units are a bit noisy but you said your pre-runner is 2WD yes? with any type of large off-road type tire you'll never hear it. the mere fact that you can install this unit in your driveway in a few hours with common hand tools should be the biggest selling point, besides that no special lube is needed. i would reccomend that you use a heavier weight than called for by the factory, any time you have a locker installed you will develop more heat. also change the fluid regularly.

Old 08-04-1999, 04:14 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Powertrax Lock Right

I havent driven with the Lock Rite,I am curiouse why you chose that particular locker? If you are looking for well tested seriouse locker you might also look at the Detroit Locker. The Detroit Locker can be to much locker for most situations,it has no slip between the two wheels so it can be tough on tires and handle squirrely on the road. If you are looking for a limited slip type of locker,the most tested are the Detroit Trutrac and the Auburn Supergrip Pro. Your truck probabley has a Ford 8.8" rear axle and will more limited to what is available than if you were to convert to a Ford 9" rear axle. A company like Currie Enterprises specializes in Building custom 9" rears with choice of gear ratio,locker,and disc brakes, for almost any application.
Jeff

Old 08-04-1999, 11:15 PM
Andy Cohen
Powertrax Lock Right

the major factor in determining to use the lock-right was at the time they were the only company that a unit available for the GEO tracker i was building for the local Search&Rescue department. after installing one in the vehicle i decided that if i was going to install lockers in every vehicle i did not want to do a complete tear down of the rear axle. the lock-right unit slips in without having to set up the gears again after the install is complete. ease of installation and monetary considerations were both taken into consideration for the choice. to take your point seriously i will have you know that for my desert pre-runner which can be seen on www.skyjacker.com i have a detroit locker in this vehicle a 1995 Ford Ranger. as far as durability for very extreme use i agree with you on the Detroit locker.

Old 08-05-1999, 08:46 AM
H8monday
Senior User
Powertrax Lock Right

I was just voicing a question regaurding you choice. I recently installed an EZ Locker in the Dana 35 rear axle of my Wrangler,I installed it for the excact same reason,it was quick I was able to install it in about 4 hours on a Thursday night(and that included a rear brake job at the same time),Before a weekend trip on the Dusy Ersham Trail.And it was cheap $270. It worked well on the trail,and was not even that noisey. But on the road it was a different story,it clicked and popped and was very sudden in its transfer from wheel to wheel making it an adventure ride on windy roads on the way to trail heads. it got to the point that I removed it and went with a Detroit gearless locker,they are only about $20 more and installs just as easy,but it is much more road freindly. I to have a detroit on my F250 rear axle which we use for Mud Boggs.
I dont believe the easy install lockers would hold up to the large tires and big HP. And they are kinda squirrely on lighter rigs on the road. Thats why I suggested a limited slip such as an Auburn.I wouldnt have even used the Detroit Gearless on the Jeep except I needed it locked,for weekend trips,while Im building a Ford 9",it will have a Detriot Truetrac.I didnt want to see someone purchase something without knowing what they were getting into. You obviousely were already aware.
Jeff
My F250 can be seen at www.buffalomilk.com in the testomonials.The pictures were taken by a distributer at a Mud Bogg Competition in Central Ca.

Old 08-05-1999, 09:03 AM
H8monday
Powertrax Lock Right

The F250 photos are at www.buffalomilke.com (forgot the e at the end). It was actually our 1st win in modified V8 (not stock),(stock wheelbase), and it was put on by the Wicked Wheelers 4 x4 Club (not wicked Wheelys).I dont think the guy was paying much attentinion.
Later, Jeff

Old 09-21-1999, 12:25 PM
Phillip Guidry
Posting Guru
Powertrax Lock Right

Old 09-23-1999, 02:34 AM
RSB
Powertrax Lock Right

>I own a 1995 F-150 XL 4x2
>Regular Cab wich I plan to
>convert into a pre-runner off road
>vehicle. One of the first items
>I would like to add is
>a differential locker and I was
>thinking of using a Powertrax Lock
>Right. Has anyone had any experience
>with this type of locker??? Any
>help would be appriciated.
I recently installed a lock right into the 8.8 in my 97 two wheel drive, 4.0, 5 speed, longbed, 4.56 geared, 31 inch tired Ranger. The hardest part of the job was cleaning the gasket material from the sealing surfaces, really. The unit installed very easily in about two hours working slowly cleaning and inspecting the removed components carefully. The performance on the street is not a problem you get a little tire scrubbing in turns especially when on the gas, the adverse affects to handling are minimal,the clicking is very noticeable but the performance gains far out weigh this especially when pulling out of a driveway onto street with fast moving traffic. Offroad the unit works consistantly and so far reliably but I've only got about 5000 miles on it and can't really atest to it's strength. I am hard on it though. It doesn't look like the strongest unit but it is cheap.