Sponsored by:

what is a Powertrax Lock Right Locker ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:47 PM
fordinmudd
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what is a Powertrax Lock Right Locker ?

I been reading about a Powertrax Lock-Right Locker and i think this is going to be the right locker for me maybe from what im told it works just like a locker offroad but on the street its like a limited slip is this right?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:04 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope its a full on locker . The only major difference between it and say the detroit locker is that the detroit replaces the entire carrier whereas the lockright replaces only the spider gear, unless you are running some power and big tires and are wheeling it hard this i think is the way to go, *** you can beat on them fairly hard (but again if you're plannin on abusin it with big tires and the power to spin them the detroit/full carrier replacement types are the way to go).

Old 10-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm runin a Lock-Right in my D-60 up front,4.11,38'' tires,7.3 PSD.So far so good.It's been in about 4yrs.I mostly wheel in sand & snow.It makes alot of noise w/the hubs locked around turns on the street-might not hear it in the back though

Old 10-24-2005, 11:43 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
Yeah i have lockrights front and rear (dana 60 front 10.25 rear) and i'm running 35x16 boggers and its for comp. mud bogs only and i have yet to be let down.

Good example of this, last bog of the season the drivers front axles (yokes blew apart on the axle/stub from fatique cracks) and thus no drivers side front tire stops pulling, but the other side kept on going no problems.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:47 PM
fordinmudd
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was reading that a Powertrax Lock-Right Locker is good on the ice and snow is this true?I dont understand why it would be?from what i understand lockers are bad on ice and real bad on ice and snow roads.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:55 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
They are going to be like anyother locker on ice and snow, they are only as bad on ice as the driver is

Old 10-25-2005, 02:16 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,441 Likes on 937 Posts
they are activated the same way a detroit is correct??? when torque is applied, they lock both tires...right??

Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Trailcat
Freshman User
I believe so Kubota. I installed one recently on my Dana 44 TTB(can't find a single axle yet) and it would make a very loud popping noise about once every revolution of the tire. I left the thrust washers out to make it fit maybe that would be the problem??? Has anyone else had that happen to them?

Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> from what i understand lockers are bad on ice and real bad on ice and snow roads.

If you drive fast without any thought, yea, they are deadly, especially down hill on a curve. Then again, many people drive with welded rear ends in the winter, so I would say it is mostly up to driver input and speed.

I had my AWD Aerostar's L/S send me off the road during a snow storm when I least expected and I could not recover in time because I had an automatic. If I had a clutch it would have been only a small problem. Though I did manage to get out of the corn field before I sunk window deep into the snow.

If I had a standard shift vehicle and was in 4x4 on ice with a locker, I would just go slower then normal and not worry about it.

Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 PM
FordPickMeUp
Elder User
Mudd dude what you need is a aurburn gear ected its a limited slip and when you hit a switch its a locker but its not made for many trucks for some reason.I think the only ford its made for is a ford 8.8 axle

Last edited by FordPickMeUp; 10-25-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Man I am so tired of hearing how bad lockers are on ice, and snow. Obviously the people stating that haven't actually used one, and compared to a limited slip NO DANG DIFFERENCE on limited traction surfaces unless one tire is on solid ground, and the other is on ice then the locker will move you, and the posi won't. Lockers are absolutly no worse on ice than anything else nothing works good on ice but a locker will get you out were a limited slip clutch type posi will leave you stranded, and an open won't even think about.
I have run lockers in both 2wd, and 4wd, and didn't have any problems, must be the drivers I guess.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Briansshop
Fleet Mechanic
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
Hey monsterbaby,

You said it!

Old 10-25-2005, 10:35 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
they are activated the same way a detroit is correct??? when torque is applied, they lock both tires...right??
Not quite. THey have springs that lock the teeth together, and will unlock with a difference in tirespeed with no torque applied. It will make a "clink,clink,clink" noise when this happens. Again, it is normally locked.

Old 10-26-2005, 01:07 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
They are only fully locked when there is applied power to the locker, as in the lockright the springs hold the 2 halves apart, and where the crosspin goes through the locker, the hole in the locker is a tapered hole shape (both front and rear of the the hole for reversing and going forward)so that when power is applied either front or backwards, the crosspin forces the halves of the lockright togetherthus fully engaging the locker.

The only reson why it disengages around corners is that 90% of people let of the gas, or at least don't apply any additional power, then the halves of the lock right disengage and stay disengaged till there is equal wheel speed and power is applied.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I had it backwards? I thought the hole ramped them apart. Either way, lockrites work fine.

Quick Reply: what is a Powertrax Lock Right Locker ?