Richmond Powertrax Lock Right For Sterling 10.25

Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Richmond Powertrax Lock Right For Sterling 10.25

Has anyone here put the Richmond Powertrax locker in the rear Sterling 10.25 axle?

The main selling point (to me) is the fact it goes in the stock carrier without having to take out OR re-setup the rear end.

I know they aren't *quite* as strong as the real deal but it sounds pretty good to me. I mainly want it for snow driving. I am used to lockers, and I own a detroit in my '67, but I don't drive the truck in the snow so I don't know how it will act in the snow. But anything is better than spinning one tire and getting stuck!

Any experiences?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Good question. Have been thinking about it myself and for exactly the reasons you list.
As I understand it they are not as good as the Detroit locker but not the price either. I have been told they are good for up to 350hp but no more.
If you do a search of YouTube there some good vids of them in action.
Hopefully some of the experts will give an opinion soon.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
I stopped by a local Jeep shop here in town and they guy was honsest and said he sells a lot of the Lock Rights. He said, if you aren't out there abusing it, it will do exactly what it says just fine...

Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Pretty much what I heard.
I understand the Detroit EZ Locker installs the same but a lot more $ but is stronger.
I think the Lock Right would be ideal for what I want but would like other opinions.
I also wonder how noisy they are?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM
surfj9009
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one in the back of my truck. I love it offroad, buy I don't wheel hardcore or abuse it. It is an automatic locker though so your truck will probably buck when rolling forward slowly and turning. Makes parking tricky but after a while you'll get the hang of it and you'll learn how to coast through turns to avoid the bucking 90 percent of the time.
So I say do it!! You'll be happy with it.
I will probably do ARB lockers one day when I get the money together and re-gear because ARB rocks my truck came with the Lock-Ritewhen I got it and I will admit I have been very impressed at it's ability offroad and in the mud.
We haven't had enough snow here this winter for me to give you a snow evaluation. Sorry bout that.
To Answer the other part of your question, it is noisy. When it starts to buck when making a tight turn into a parking space on dry pavement, it is almost embarrassingly loud, and I am sure people think something is wrong with the truck. LOL
But the bucking does get easier to avoid the more you drive. It hardly happens to me any more. It's all about finding the right speed and turning radius. Of course this only applies on pavement.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Thank you. A lot of good, practical info there.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by surfj9009
I have one in the back of my truck. I love it offroad, buy I don't wheel hardcore or abuse it. It is an automatic locker though so your truck will probably buck when rolling forward slowly and turning. Makes parking tricky but after a while you'll get the hang of it and you'll learn how to coast through turns to avoid the bucking 90 percent of the time.
So I say do it!! You'll be happy with it.
I will probably do ARB lockers one day when I get the money together and re-gear because ARB rocks my truck came with the Lock-Ritewhen I got it and I will admit I have been very impressed at it's ability offroad and in the mud.
We haven't had enough snow here this winter for me to give you a snow evaluation. Sorry bout that.
To Answer the other part of your question, it is noisy. When it starts to buck when making a tight turn into a parking space on dry pavement, it is almost embarrassingly loud, and I am sure people think something is wrong with the truck. LOL
But the bucking does get easier to avoid the more you drive. It hardly happens to me any more. It's all about finding the right speed and turning radius. Of course this only applies on pavement.
THANKS!!! More stuff to ponder on....

Is your exhaust stock? Can you hear it over your exhaust?

Old 01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
surfj9009
Junior User
Yes, my exhaust is stock but has been custom routed to exit up high and is 4".
It is definitely louder than the exhaust. Sounds like the driveline clunk happening.
Imagine it like this as your turning into a parking space at the local grocery store.
"Clunk one thousand one, clunk one thousand two, clunk one thousand three, etc", with a coinciding short lunge forward, or what I call bucking.

I know my description sounds dramatic, but it's really not that bad IMHO.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
ceetwarrior
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by surfj9009
Yes, my exhaust is stock but has been custom routed to exit up high and is 4".
It is definitely louder than the exhaust. Sounds like the driveline clunk happening.
Imagine it like this as your turning into a parking space at the local grocery store.
"Clunk one thousand one, clunk one thousand two, clunk one thousand three, etc", with a coinciding short lunge forward, or what I call bucking.

I know my description sounds dramatic, but it's really not that bad IMHO.
LOL! Nice. I have a detroit locker in my '67 but it's a "Detroit Soft Locker". Every so often I hear a clunk but it's very quiet. What I hear more of is "squeeeeeel" when I turn in parking lots.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM
funford
New User
Thanks for the info,

Old 02-15-2010, 12:14 PM
surfj9009
Junior User
Haha. I hear a chirp but not a squeal. It's hard to squeal 37"s!!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM
rolape2
Senior User
Another thing to consider with a "locker". If you like to trail run, your vehicle will want to go straight when you want to turn. Probably not so bad in a P/U heavier on the front. Had this problem with my little Suzuki. My F250 doesn't have a locker/limited slip yet.