New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lift kits

Old 10-29-1999, 10:15 AM
bc
New User
Lift kits

I own a 79 F-250 4X4. I curently run 33X12.5 on stock suspension. I would like to run 35's. I have researched lift kits and would like to replace my old tired springs and give the truck a little lift. I am only interested in a two inch lift. The smallest lift I can get from every company I have contacted is 4". They have smaller lifts, but they are just add-a-leafs or add-a-blocks. I do not want to do that. Any one out there have any advise?

Old 10-30-1999, 12:16 PM
H8monday
Senior User
Lift kits

Superlift,makes a 3.5" kit that is very moderate in elevation(it doesnt look like 3 1/2" more like 2 1/2") it very high quality and only about $550,(make sure to order the diesel springs if you have a 460,its a little extra$$)
Jeff

Old 11-01-1999, 01:25 PM
curly
New User
Lift kits

Isn't the F250 a leaf spring truck? What would be wrong with getting the springs recurved at a spring shop for a mild lift?

Old 11-02-1999, 10:48 AM
bc
New User
Lift kits

I talked to a local shop and they told me they could re-arch the springs, but that I shouldn't expect it to last very long.

Old 11-02-1999, 01:33 PM
curly
New User
Lift kits

I wonder why. A friend of mine had the rear leafs rearched and a leaf added (maybe thats why) to his suburban to bring the rear back up to level and it's lasted at least two years. I've done the same thing to my '77 F150 2wd rears cuz some leafs were broken, and it's lasted 6 months hauling heavy loads(beds full of dirt and fire wood). Sounds like they weren't too confident in their work. (but I really don't know)

Old 11-02-1999, 10:02 PM
rick
Senior User
Lift kits

I have a 79 1 ton with the 4 inch lift spring set up and although it looks pretty cool I reget doing it. The truck used to handle like a dream before and now it sucks. I have tried everything to fix it and its just not the same. The expense of converting is much more than just leafs and shocks. You will need to have the caster adjusted, the driveline angles increase which cause slight vibrations, if you haul a camper or anything it feels a little top heavy. I junked out my factory springs and now I cant find a set any where. If you use the truck on road more than off I would stick to no more than 2 inches if any. Just my 2 cents. Rick

Old 11-03-1999, 11:31 AM
H8monday
Senior User
Lift kits

Rick,
Lifting a large truck propperly is not a cheap venture,that is why I suggested a kit from Superlift,they are probably the best out there for heavy rigs.I run about 8 1/2 inches of suspension lift on my F250 set up,and it handles as well as it ever did stock,and turns tighter.I have a couple of suggestions for your 1 ton.1st is Superlift's Superrunner Steering Kit,which lowers the pivot points of your entire steering not just the pitman arm. Next is a reverse shackle kit from Off Road Unlimited which will free up the binding shackles in the front and relocate them to the rear of the front leafs,this eliminates every bump from pushing the shackles rearward and rotating the steering knuckles while driving.I would also suggest Rancho 9000 shocks with an in cab adjuster so that you can firm up the shocks when traveling winding roads.Since you have a mono beam front axle you could also convert to cross over steering,unfortunately I dont know of any bolt on applications for this.Its still pretty much a custom fabrication. like I said its not cheap but it can be done.I was forced to find ways to improve my steering because I compete with my truck in mud boggs but have no other rig large enough to tow it to and from events.I also use it to tow my Jeep. I would not go the cheap route when lifting a 3/4 ton or 1 ton rig,like Rick said you may regret it, except for the look of the truck. Oh yeah and when those big tires go on dont forget you may need to change your Ring and pinion gears in both axles,(also not cheap).
Good Luck.
Jeff

Old 11-03-1999, 08:21 PM
rick
Senior User
Lift kits

Thanks Jeff. I have thought about the cross steer linkage set up. I have a CJ 2 that I race truck pulls with in the Country Modify class with all ford running gear and I fabricated the cross steer linkage because it just wouldnt steer any other way. I have thousands into my truck and to throw it all away is senseless. I never thought about the reverse shackles though. My 65 has a similar style. The front leaf slides forward in the mount and it is a beautiful ride. I think I will work up a new shackle kit and try it. Thanks Rick

Old 11-04-1999, 10:35 AM
H8monday
Senior User
Lift kits

Rick,
I have a Dana 60 front axle with 4.56 gears and a detroit(I am going to change to an ARB),that I have been planning on swapping onto my 91 F250 for the last few months.After the swap I plan on installing a cross over steering system.I also have a YJ that I use for very seriouse Rock Crawling(I will be taking it to the Warn National Championship this month at THE WRECKING BALL in Johnson Valley,unfortunately not competing though)I converted to a cross over steering,(above the steering knuckles ala Dynatrac) for the same reason,it was the only thing that would work. the Jeep mods have been keeping me from swapping the Dana 60 in the F250,I am also planning Ford running gear set up for the Jeep a 302HVO,NP435 swap this winter.I am installing an ARB into the Jeep,(front Dana 44) this week,(did the compressor last night)I had a Tru-Trac in it to help with pavement handeling,(my girlfreind loves to drive it on the road a lot)but it just wasnt gettin it done in the rocks. Keep on wheelin I really like your year and model of Ford,I think the 79 F350 is one of the best trucks built as far as components and even body style,my first new truck was a 77 F250 4x4. Later,
Jeff
91 F250 4x4 XLT Lariat Supercab/supercharged 460
89 Wrangler/still in the build up stages,but wheelin strong.