6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

IMPORTANT Information for 6.4L owners - Customer Satisfaction Programs 08B06 & 08B07

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
RED DOG DADDY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats great news but the only thing missing is an apology for the blank stares recieved from the service advisors when customers had these complaints,service techs telling you there is nothing wrong with your vehicle,and the sleepless nights and burning feeling in the head of your *****,worrying and wondering if your $50,000 investment was nothing but a real nice good looking p.o.s.........Thats probably to much to ask..my 2 cents..chuck

Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Good news for existing owners as at first they aid they were only doing trucks on the lots.

How do I check if fuel tank mod has been done before my impending purchase?
The dealer could run a Oasis report real quick and it will show if it needs to be done.

You could also look underneath the truck at the tank. There is a bracket that goes in front of the tank, mounted to the frame so that the tank will not move forward in the event of a crash.

Scott

Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM
serviceguy
Junior User
Originally Posted by RED DOG DADDY
Thats great news but the only thing missing is an apology for the blank stares recieved from the service advisors when customers had these complaints,service techs telling you there is nothing wrong with your vehicle,and the sleepless nights and burning feeling in the head of your *****,worrying and wondering if your $50,000 investment was nothing but a real nice good looking p.o.s.........Thats probably to much to ask..my 2 cents..chuck

I think this news is great and shows maybe there is hope for Ford after all. I to wish Ford would get there dealerships up to speed to get rid of the deer in the headlights look when explaining problems that most everyone on this site understands.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Carl Lassiter
Senior User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by senix
The dealer could run a Oasis report real quick and it will show if it needs to be done.

You could also look underneath the truck at the tank. There is a bracket that goes in front of the tank, mounted to the frame so that the tank will not move forward in the event of a crash.

Scott
Thanks, Scott. I'll know what to look for now.

As regards the dealers and their lack of knowledge it seems we should get the chance to brand their foreheads with "black pipes means cracked dpf." Any blacksmiths around here

Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Champ198
Elder User
08b06 & 08b07

I had my radiator replaced on Monday. I've got an 08 Job#1 truck w/25k miles on it. They did the venturi "T" connection as part of that. I had a lot of pink tranny fluid on the frame and it has been dripping down the last two days. I took the truck back to have them check this out and they did the 08B06 and 08B07 updates this morning. (even though 08B06 is the T-connection). We'll see how it goes. They tell me that when they disconnected the trans lines that the fluid ran all over the place when they took the radiator out. They pressure washed the engine and frame, they didn't find any leaks from the lines.

I'm glad Ford is making updates available to us without having to make a big production out of it. My truck was in the shop less than half day for the radiator replacement and today's flash updates.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:17 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,419 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ198
I had my radiator replaced on Monday. I've got an 08 Job#1 truck w/25k miles on it. They did the venturi "T" connection as part of that. I had a lot of pink tranny fluid on the frame and it has been dripping down the last two days. I took the truck back to have them check this out and they did the 08B06 and 08B07 updates this morning. We'll see how it goes. They tell me that when they disconnected the trans lines that the fluid ran all over the place when they took the radiator out. They pressure washed the engine and frame, they didn't find any leaks from the lines.

I'm glad Ford is making updates available to us without having to make a big production out of it. My truck was in the shop less than half day for the radiator replacement and today's flash updates.
Would like to know how the updates are running.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by serviceguy
I think this news is great and shows maybe there is hope for Ford after all. I to wish Ford would get there dealerships up to speed to get rid of the deer in the headlights look when explaining problems that most everyone on this site understands.
The bad part about it is in general Ford does keep the dealerships up to speed. The hard part is getting the people who work there and need to know to actually read the information that is provided...

Old 10-15-2008, 02:38 PM
DieselWhisperer
Senior User
Well just called my local Ford dealership and asked to speak to Scotty (my diesel service writer guy) and they said he no longer worked there. Got a new guy so I talked to him and asked him about the 08B07 and he new what I was talking about! So he said bring it in Friday morning but that's not good for me so we scheduled an appointment for next Tuesday. While I had him on the phone I asked him about my sooty tailpipes and black smoke and he said we'd take a look at it. Also I asked him just what this 08B07 was going to do for my truck and he said "I really don't know, I havn't read up on it yet". We'll see what happens.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:44 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
Thanks, Scott. I'll know what to look for now.

As regards the dealers and their lack of knowledge it seems we should get the chance to brand their foreheads with "black pipes means cracked dpf." Any blacksmiths around here
Repair Directions

• Section A - If the following DTCs are present P0087, P2291, P0263-0284, P0300-P0308, or P1336 or if observation of external fuel leaks, for example, wetness around exhaust manifolds or over-full oil level indication.
  • Section B - If the following DTCs are present P132B, P2262, or P2263 or observation of oil leaks (aside from over-full oil level) or oil level is low.
  • Section C - If coolant low or observation of coolant leaks.
  • Sections A, B, and C - If only abnormal sediment in tailpipes.
SECTION - A

Fuel System Diagnostics

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>IN CASES WHERE ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN DILUTED WITH DIESEL FUEL AND ALL REPAIRS ARE COMPLETE, RELEASE THE OIL FILTER CAP ALLOWING OIL TO DRAIN TO OIL PAN AND KEEP FILTER, DRAIN THE OIL FROM OIL PAN AND FILL WITH NEW OIL. TIGHTEN OIL FILTER CAP AND RUN ENGINE FOR 10 MINUTES. FINALLY, CHANGE OIL FILTER AND OIL AGAIN.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  1. If oil is not over-full - go to Step 9.
  2. If oil is over full, drain and fill crankcase with new oil setting the level to the middle of the hash marks.
  3. Remove valve covers; refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-01.
  4. Remove lower charged air cooler CAC hose. Inspect for fuel and oil contamination. Clean as required and reinstall.
  5. Start engine and use caution when looking for fuel leaks around supply tubes and injectors.
  6. If no leak is found run the IDS high pressure fuel system test and inspect for a leak during the test.
  7. If no leak is found turn the engine off and use a hand held mirror to inspect for cracks on the underside of the fitting boss. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 07-8-9
  8. Replace any leaking components and verify leak has been repaired while running IDS high pressure fuel system test - KOER.
  9. Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check.
  10. If fuel quality is poor, drain all fuel and replace with known good ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel.
  11. If no DTCs were stored in pending or continuous memory go to Step 13.
  12. Is there abnormal sediment in tailpipes or fuel evident?
    1. No - Complete PC/ED worksheet and applicable PPT tests for the codes retrieved.
    2. Yes - Go to Step 13.
  13. Is there abnormal sediment in the tailpipes?
    1. No - See WSM for diagnosis.
    2. Yes - Go to Step 14.
  14. Perform IDS Relative Compression Test.
    1. Problem Identified - Repair as required.
    2. No Problem - Go to Step 15.
  15. Perform fuel supply system pressure check (low pressure system) - KOEO.
    1. Problem Identified - Repair as required.
    2. No Problem - Go to Step 16.
  16. Observe IDS injector fuel trim.
    <TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=80>NOTE:</TD><TD>FUEL TRIM WILL DEFAULT TO ZERO WHILE EXHAUST AFTER TREATMENT SYSTEM REGENERATION IS ACTIVE. (Figure 3)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  17. Observe IDS Power Balance. (Figure 3)
  18. Perform Enhanced Power Balance. (Figure 3)
  19. Compare results in Steps 16-18.
    1. Low fuel trim may indicate leaking injector.
    2. High contribution may indicate leaking injector.
    3. Elevated contribution in comparison to other cylinders while cancelled may indicate leaking injector.
    4. Excessive pull-up by subsequent injector may indicate leaking injector.
    5. An engine knock that is lessened when a cylinder is cancelled may indicate a leaking injector.
  20. If no root cause is determined in Steps 1-18, perform IDS high-pressure fuel system check and repeat Steps 1-18.
  21. If no root cause is determined, replace horizontal fuel conditioning module (HFCM) and on-engine fuel filters.
SECTION - B

1. Do not crank engine. Perform KOEO and observe turbocharger actuator. Does the actuator move at key on?
    1. No - Ensure turbocharger is above 32 °F (0 °C). Move truck to a warm location and repeat test. If turbocharger actuator does not move and is above 32 °F (0 °C), perform PC/ED diagnostics.
    2. Yes - Step 2.
  2. If no DTCs are present, go to Step 4.
  3. Is oil or abnormal sediment evident in tailpipes?
    1. No - Complete PC/ED worksheet and applicable PPT tests for the codes retrieved.
    2. Yes - Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check and repair as required.
  4. Is oil or abnormal sediment evident in tailpipes?
    1. No - Perform WSM, Section 100-04 - Noise Diagnostics.
    2. Yes - Perform WSM, Section 303-04D - Turbocharger Bearing Clearance Check and repair as required.
  5. Remove lower CAC hose. Inspect for fuel and oil contamination. Clean as required and reinstall.
SECTION - C

Perform WSM, Section 303-03 - Diagnostics for EGR cooler and engine internal coolant leaks.

Old 10-15-2008, 03:58 PM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD
The bad part about it is in general Ford does keep the dealerships up to speed. The hard part is getting the people who work there and need to know to actually read the information that is provided...

AMEN!

You know when the parts dept knows, when the tech is standing at the back counter wanting parts. And then bitches at us for not having them in stock? hmmmm? A little communication please!

Ed

Old 10-18-2008, 05:14 PM
mhaas59
Freshman User
Did you do the high idel mod your self

Old 10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
ab257z
Senior User
high idle

Originally Posted by mhaas59
Did you do the high idel mod your self
You tawkin ta me?

Yes, I have the 4 upfitter switches and wired one to the PTO wire. There are a bunch of write ups on it here. Works well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...high-idle.html

Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
bnmccoy
Elder User

Originally Posted by DieselWhisperer
......................Also I asked him just what this 08B07 was going to do for my truck and he said "I really don't know, I havn't read up on it yet". We'll see what happens.
some info available to the tech....

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM
Some of the affected vehicles may exhibit drivability concerns, including elevated idle speed during
Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) regeneration, minor cruise control speed fluctuation, automatic
transmission shift quality, and a false Check Engine Indicator Light. In addition, some customers
have advised Ford they would like to know when their vehicle is regenerating the DPF.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Job #1 through August 2, 2007
Improved Drivability

Message Center Updates: Engine Warming,
Drive to Clean Exhaust, Cleaning Exhaust
Filter (continuous display), Exhaust Filter
Drive Complete, and Stop Safely Now
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
August 3, 2007 through January 2, 2008

Improved Drivability

Message Center Updates: Drive to Clean
Exhaust, Cleaning Exhaust Filter (continuous
display), and Exhaust Filter Drive Complete
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
January 3, 2008 through September 15, 2008

Improved Drivability

Message Center Update: Cleaning Exhaust
Filter (continuous display)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
MODULE REPROGRAMMING
1. Verify that the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) is updated to software release
57.6 or later.

2. Reprogram the PCM/TCM by selecting Module reprogramming PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 57.6 or later. Portable Diagnostic Software (PDS) cannot be used. When reprogramming the PCM on automatic transmission equipped vehicles the TCM will also automatically be reprogrammed to the latest level.
3. Reprogram the IC by selecting Module Reprogramming IC to the latest calibration using the same IDS release (some vehicles may already have the latest IC program installed).

Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
Champ198
Elder User
"Continuous" message - Cleaning Filter

The info above states that the reflash will provide a continuous message that the truck is cleaning the filter. I had the flash done last week but my truck only shows "cleaning filter" for a brief second then goes away. If you're not looking right at the readout, you will miss it.

Are there variations on this? Any techs provide feedback?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:04 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Champ198
The info above states that the reflash will provide a continuous message that the truck is cleaning the filter. I had the flash done last week but my truck only shows "cleaning filter" for a brief second then goes away. If you're not looking right at the readout, you will miss it.

Are there variations on this? Any techs provide feedback?
When last week did you have the flash done? I do not believe the newest flash was released till late in the week and if your tech did not update the software on his computer you may not actually have the latest flash...

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT Information for 6.4L owners - Customer Satisfaction Programs 08B06 & 08B07