Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Mysterious electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:57 AM
TheRon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious electrical problem

Hey all. Well I got everything else running good on my new found piece of transportation, but have acquired a new problem. When I got the truck I noticed that oddly enough someone had completely removed the head light switch and put a series of 3 toggle switces on the middle console for marker, tail, and headlights....I found this kind of odd but my buddy I bought it from said it never gave him no issues and it didnt me either until the other day when I was driving it and the headlights turned off on me! Now this is a problem I just cannot live with...All of the lights appear to go out for a marginal amount of time and then they all turn back on again, the radio also cuts in and out but comes back at a much faster interval...I noticed it only happens to the radio when I turn the volume up louder than average like it isnt getting enough voltage but I put a battery out of one of the garbage trucks from work still no go...Almost like its not getting voltage all the time...Engine stays running....Seems like just the accessories.

I also have this wierd thing where the engine will seem to cycle or something every few minutes. It happens throughout the driving range. Seems to get a misguided hit from the ECU, like its running rich. It affects the engine heavily when I am at an idle like when I notice it is starting to cycle and then stop it lopes for about 10-15 seconds then kicks back into running good....Im hoping it is because the O2 sensor is not hooked up yet or because of my lack of a thermostat, but I was just wondering if any of you guys ever ran into a problem like this and how you may have fixed it....

Many thanks guys
TheRon

Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the head lamp switch relay is kicking in and out and the radio is tied into the dash lamp circuit from the headlamp switch instead of the power lead from the fuse panel for the radio.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM
97Centurion
Rub my Belly
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might also check the grounds. I've seen the one from the back of the head to the firewall give a few people problems with the dash when it's loose or broken.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
You would have to tell us how it is wired, it is impossible to know how somebody else wired something.
The head light switch normally contains a circuit breaker that can kick in and out.
The lack of a thermostat might make it run a little rich but I am running my BII that way with no problems.
There may be some under rated circuit breakers in the fuse panel kicking in and out that the Radio and maybe the lights are wired to.